Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Slack Alternative
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Slack Alternative

Hi,

I am looking for a slack alternative. If there is something self-hosted, it is better.

or

Something cheaper.

Features I need

1) chat with teams
2) share files
3) mobile app
4) good search, which can help to search up to 3 years of conversation
5) voice calls, if possible
6) screen share, if possible

Comments

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Moved to requests

• Nextcloud & Nextcloud Talk

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited October 2022

Mattermost is open source Slack alternative https://github.com/mattermost/mattermost-server

Thanked by 2crilla skorous
  • LeftRLeftR Member
    edited October 2022

Slack alternatives are like trees in a forest, how many do you want? ;-)

The default options:

• Google Chat
    • Microsoft Teams
    • Zoho Cliq
    • Zoom

Where Zoho Cliq is the most affordable option.

In the self hosted corner I remember the company IceWarp with their product TeamChat. I always liked the look of their products, but I never came in the direction of their seat requirements. For the self hosted option a 10 user seat license is required. I have no hands on experience.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2022

Matrix may be more tailored to privacy but honestly, it hit all the right points for me. Fully self hosted, beautiful mobile apps, far less random bugs than I used to have with RocketChat (been a while though).

Discord is so much less work though so there's that.

• Rocket.chat

Thanked by 1crilla
  • At work we use Mattermost as a fallback when our usual internal communication mechanisms are down (i.e. during major outages). It seems decent.

Thanked by 1crilla
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@eva2000 said: Mattermost is open source Slack alternative https://github.com/mattermost/mattermost-server

+1 - we use it and it works well

• afnafn Member
    edited October 2022

Mattermost and rocket chat

I prefer rocket chat because I think I understand the internal files so it is easier to develop custom stuff for it if needed. But as jar mentioned, random bugs everywhere!

Mattermost integrates just fine with gitlab btw (we use the combo too at work)

Thanked by 1crilla
  • ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

Zulip

• tjntjn Member
    edited October 2022

I remember using Mattermost ~4 years ago and the biggest issue was how unreliable the push notifications on mobile were.

The answer at the time (completely fair) was to purchase a business license.

Is that still the case, have the mobile notifications improved?

• +1 for Rocket.Chat. Been using it for 90+ team for years with no big issues.

The webhooks integrations allows you to bring anything you need from the outside or send stuff out.

Push notifications there is a limit in the community version, you can either pay for more or just build the apps yourself (free if not submitting it to the stores).

Sharing files just point to object storage so you don't have to worry about disk space.

Calls/screen share are via Jitsi or Big blue button.

You don't have to worry about message history as long as you didn't change retention settings.

If you know Node, you can add your own slash commands (custom apps).

If default search not good enough for you, you can setup a separate indexing/search served.

• @tjn said:
    I remember using Mattermost ~4 years ago and the biggest issue was how unreliable the push notifications on mobile were.

The answer at the time (completely fair) was to purchase a business license.

Is that still the case, have the mobile notifications improved?

They do have a test server that allows unencrypted push message for up to 1L message/mo

They do send emails too though (which could kind of act like push notifications), and desktop notification works without additional setup.

The bigger issue for me is that you cannot search for url/emails (that is, if you use Postgresql as your DB). I've heard that you can get search for those if you use other DBs, but never tested.