Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap 4 core VPS for Docker builds
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap 4 core VPS for Docker builds

I am looking for a very cheap VPS with decent CPU at least 4 cores. I am gonna use it only for Docker builds of x86 images and nothing else, because I am on an M1 Mac and x86 building is ridiculously slow due to the QEMU emulation and often segfaults depending on the content of the image.

Any suggestions on the provider? Thanks

Comments

• I am based in Finland BTW, so somewhere in Europe would be ideal.

• @vitobotta said:
    I am looking for a very cheap VPS with decent CPU at least 4 cores. I am gonna use it only for Docker builds of x86 images and nothing else, because I am on an M1 Mac and x86 building is ridiculously slow due to the QEMU emulation and often segfaults depending on the content of the image.

Why not go with ones of the zillion "pay at the meter" providers (Linode, Vultr, Digital Ocean, Lunanode, UpCloud etc) and delete your VPS once your done buildings for the day(s) that you do them on.

I can't see why you need to be paying for a 24x7x365.25 VPS if that's all your gonna use it for really.

• @Havy said:

@vitobotta said:

Why not go with ones of the zillion "pay at the meter" providers (Linode, Vultr, Digital Ocean, Lunanode, UpCloud etc) and delete your VPS once your done buildings for the day(s) that you do them on.

I can't see why you need to be paying for a 24x7x365.25 VPS if that's all your gonna use it for really.

I need Docker on daily basis, so I need something all the time basically. I've been using my Intel Mac so far but Docker isn't great anyway on Mac.

• TensorDock/@lentro has CPU-only VMs: https://console.tensordock.com/deploy_cpu

This might be perfect if all you need to do is spin it up every so often to do a build. The cores are dedicated, and the cost is significantly less when the VM is stopped.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • @Xrmaddness said:
    TensorDock/@lentro has CPU-only VMs: https://console.tensordock.com/deploy_cpu

This might be perfect if all you need to do is spin it up every so often to do a build. The cores are dedicated, and the cost is significantly less when the VM is stopped.

Only US unfortunately. Are you sure you get charged less when the VM is stopped? Never seen that with VPS before.

• @vitobotta said:
    Are you sure you get charged less when the VM is stopped? Never seen that with VPS before.

I'm pretty sure you've dealt with AWS at least once, does "only pay for storage and Elastic IP when stopped" ring a bell?

It's the same for TensorDock except you don't even pay for the IP, you literally only pay for storage.

$ ./tensordock-cli servers info REDACTED
    +------------------+---------------------+
    | PROPERTY         | VALUE               |
    | ID               | REDACTED            |
    | Name             | REDACTED            |
    | Location         | na-us-chi-1         |
    | IP               | REDACTED            |
    | Charged Cost     | -31.4633            |
    | Hour-On Cost     | 2.56                |
    | Minutes-On       | 541                 |
    | Hour-Off Cost    | 0.01                |
    | Minutes-Off      | 50284               |
    | CPU Model        |                     |
    | GPU Count        | 1                   |
    | GPU Model        | A100 80GB           |
    | RAM              | 16GB                |
    | Status           | Stopped             |
    | Storage          | 100GB               |
    | Storage Class    | io1                 |
    | Type             | GPU Virtual Machine |
    | vCPUs            | 4                   |

Take a look at Hour-On Cost and Hour-Off Cost values

Thanked by 1lentro
  • @vitobotta said:

@Xrmaddness said:

Only US unfortunately. Are you sure you get charged less when the VM is stopped? Never seen that with VPS before.

Sorry, I didn't see your second post before I posted, but yes, you can see the pricing on the page I linked. It's on the right side and looks like this:

Thanked by 1lentro
  • PilzbaumPilzbaum Member
    edited October 2022

Oh so I got smth for yer and it's even free... Can you imagine :O!?
    Check this one out

/s

• JeDaYoshiJeDaYoshi Member
    edited October 2022

@Pilzbaum said:
    Oh so I got smth for yer and it's even free... Can you imagine :O!?
    Check this one out

/s

This doesn't work since it runs into the same issue that OP is already having: ARM64 processor, which can be slow to cross-compile binaries to x86.

Admittedly, yes, you could use the x86 instances that Oracle Cloud provides for free, but they're more limited and would also be slow for this use-case.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited October 2022

@vitobotta said:

@Xrmaddness said:

Only US unfortunately. Are you sure you get charged less when the VM is stopped? Never seen that with VPS before

You can create snapshots on Hetzner from your VPS, delete instance and then create again with snapshot image. VPS creation is almost instant.

That way you're charged way less when VM is "stopped", only quirk is that IP will change every time, but data stays intact.

Its € 0.0110/GB so if you will use 20GB its only 0.22euro monthly :) + instance bills, but that depends how much you will use it. If just 8 hours per day you can spend as little as 2 euro per month for nice VPS. And you don't even need to think about exceeding traffic limit, you have 20TB over and over haha

If you want to run it just couple of hours a day Hetzner Finland is the best possible solution for you.

If you want to run it 24/7 then go with netcup

Thanked by 2bangudopw k4zz
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Drop us a line and we be able to accommodate your needs

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

Thanks for the mentions @Xrmaddness and @jmgcaguicla !

@vitobotta said: VM is stopped

Yep! VMs are billed at a reduced rate on our Core Cloud product.... A 20 GB disk costs as little as $0.88/mo ($0.00006/GB/hour for HDD storage)

All CPUs are dedicated... We usually find that our platform best serves high-performance computing customers, especially for bursts. If you need dedicated CPUs, large VMs (e.g. 256GB VM — which costs exponentially more than smaller VMs on competing providers), or GPUs, the TensorDock pricing advantage becomes very clear.

All this is backed by an API, so you can create scripts to start/stop your VM to automate your processes if you're not using your server 100% of the time, as suggested by other LET members :)

Let me know if you'd like some free credits; shoot me a PM :)

At the same time, I know we only have instantly deployable locations in the US right now, so totally understand if you choose an EU provider instead :)

Thanked by 2Xrmaddness ElonBezos
  • @Advin has UK and AMS locations for $8, and are based on Ryzen 5950X. The AMS has 4 vcore for $8.

• Oracle Cloud?

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

Our package KVM SSD NVMe Plus has 4 Ryzen 5950x for $13.99/mo and you'll never have to worry about your VPS being throttled for constant CPU usage so you can run your builds 24/7

It is not available to order on the website since it is out of stock but if you open a ticket I can assign it to you manually.

• HostHatch ??

Many Location Available

NVMe 12 GB
    $12.00 /month
    4 AMD EPYC Milan core
    (1 dedicated, 3 fair-shared cores)
    12 GB DDR4 RAM
    50 GB NVMe Storage
    3 TB bandwidth
  • add_iTadd_iT Member
    edited October 2022

optional maybe take a look at server-factory deal

https://my.server-factory.com/cart/vds-nl-amd-epyc/

You can search coupon somewhere for 50% OFF, that is steal deal if u need dedicated CPU as well

AMD EPYC™ L
    CPU:AMD EPYC™ 7702P
    BASE CLOCK:2.0 GHZ
    BOOST CLOCK:UP TO 3.35 GHZ
    CORES:4
    THREADS:8
    RAM:32 GiB DDR4 3200 MHZ ECC
    STORAGE:400 GiB NVME PCIe 3.0 SSD
    SNAPSHOTS:1
    UPLINK:1 GBIT
    INCOMING TRAFFIC:UNMETERED
    OUTGOING TRAFFIC:32 TiB
    IPv4 ADDRESS:1
    IPV6 SUBNET:/64
    FEATURE:RDNS MANAGEMENT
    FEATURE:UPLOAD OWN ISO

That cost below $200/y (or $17 monthly)

Thanked by 1mxmla
  • quanhua92quanhua92 Member
    edited October 2022

You need to have a large disk to build and cache the image. It is better to build and host the registry on that vps so you don't need to rely on the DockerHub.
    My suggestion is the deal $18/year VPS from LevelOneServers for 512GB.
    It is not ideal to build every hour because of the CPU consumption. But I believe that you can build a few times a day without problem.
    I personally use a GreenCloudVPS 5555 servers to build on Gitlab CI worker.
    I have 1 VPS that I currently don't use. Pm me your public SSH key. I can let you try for a week.

• WenderarWenderar Member
    edited October 2022

I work for a hosting company. I think we van help you, [removed by Arkas]

• I would recommend using GitHub codespaces. They work really well for docker builds.

Thanked by 1xms
  • Thanks all for the answers. Before creating an account with another provider, I did some tests with Hetzner Cloud since I already have an account. I tried with a VM with 4 AMD cores and 8 GB of RAM, and I was surprised to see that the same image was built in almost twice the time compared to Docker for Desktop on my Mac remotely via TCP.... really surprised. Somehow I thought that VMs on a high performance server would be better than a laptop but maybe the shared cores were the problem. I will try with dedicated cores just out of curiosity (but they are expensive so I wouldn't use them).

@ehhthing said:
    I would recommend using GitHub codespaces. They work really well for docker builds.

Wow they machines are ridiculously expensive and not available to indiividuals.

• @nvme said:
    @Advin has UK and AMS locations for $8, and are based on Ryzen 5950X. The AMS has 4 vcore for $8.

4 5950X cores for $8 would be awesome. Is this the website? https://advinservers.com/vps

IT shows 2 cores for that price. I don't see 4 cores $8 in AMS. Where can I find it?

• @AXYZE said:

@vitobotta said:

@Xrmaddness said:

Only US unfortunately. Are you sure you get charged less when the VM is stopped? Never seen that with VPS before

You can create snapshots on Hetzner from your VPS, delete instance and then create again with snapshot image. VPS creation is almost instant.

That way you're charged way less when VM is "stopped", only quirk is that IP will change every time, but data stays intact.

Its € 0.0110/GB so if you will use 20GB its only 0.22euro monthly :) + instance bills, but that depends how much you will use it. If just 8 hours per day you can spend as little as 2 euro per month for nice VPS. And you don't even need to think about exceeding traffic limit, you have 20TB over and over haha

If you want to run it just couple of hours a day Hetzner Finland is the best possible solution for you.

It would be super cheap but super slow to start every time. I've used VMs with snapshots and they are slower to start than regular ones. The location of course is awesome for me.

• atomiatomi Member
    edited October 2022

@vitobotta said:

@nvme said:
    @Advin has UK and AMS locations for $8, and are based on Ryzen 5950X. The AMS has 4 vcore for $8.

4 5950X cores for $8 would be awesome. Is this the website? https://advinservers.com/vps

IT shows 2 cores for that price. I don't see 4 cores $8 in AMS. Where can I find it?

I think he is referring this offer

• @atomi said:

@vitobotta said:

@nvme said:

Thanks. "Randomized CPU" sounds so ...weird

• @vitobotta said:

@AXYZE said:

@vitobotta said:

@Xrmaddness said:

It would be super cheap but super slow to start every time. I've used VMs with snapshots and they are slower to start than regular ones. The location of course is awesome for me.

How much time it was for you?

Have you thought about putting your files in Hetzner Storage?

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2022
  • @vitobotta said:

@atomi said:

@vitobotta said:

@nvme said:

Thanks. "Randomized CPU" sounds so ...weird

A lot of places are actually likes this, they just don't mentions it to you. Think Vultr for example, they don't even let you access your CPU information (they "mask" the CPU information with generic information so that you can't see what's CPU you're actually on).

So unless you are paying for a EXACT CPU type/model and series you can't expect certain CPUs really.

• @AXYZE said:

@vitobotta said:

@AXYZE said:

@vitobotta said:

@Xrmaddness said:

How much time it was for you?

Have you thought about putting your files in Hetzner Storage?

Which files?

This looks nice, thanks! I am gonna give it a try. :)

Thanked by 1v3ng
  • Hi, just realized that the offer (which is nice) is for a year. My case is a bit weird, like I mentioned it's not for hosting apps but just for building Docker images. I would like to check first if it's faster with such a VM than using my Intel laptop remotely. So I would like to test if for one month and then if it's OK I could switch to yearly. Is it possible?