Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how come hetzner dedi is *so* much cheaper? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

how come hetzner dedi is *so* much cheaper?

2»

Comments

• @MarkTurner said:

Their colo section looks VERY different from their self-hosted part :P

Straight up tower hosting FTW :)

• MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited December 2013

@dhamaniasad big difference between Cyberwurx's facility where QPS rents rackspace and Hetzner. 55 Marietta is a 100 year old building. It used to be the Fulton Bank headquarters in Atlanta. Its not designed for datacentre, its office space that has been retrofitted.

Hetzner's park (literally its a whole industrial park) was custom built from the ground up for datacentre. Proper power installations, HVAC, UPS, generators - can't speak highly enough of that facility and their colo prices are pennies for what you are really getting.

Thanked by 1moom0o
  • @tchen - that looks like their old i7 products, I think most of their kit these days is rack mounted. They seem to have a LOT of Dell kit in there.

• Real working server from Hetzner - minimum 144€/month(with VAT).

Server 32 GB RAM, 2x2TB HDD, 1 IPv4. = 49€ +49 setup

Additional:
    FlexiPack - 15€
    Add 2x2TB HDD and hardware RAID for Raid 10 = 2x15€ + 15€ = 45€
    Add 3 single IPv4 = 3x1€ = 3€
    Add /27 subnet (29 usable IPv4) = 32€

49 + 15 + 45+ 3 +32 = 144€

• Had about 10 servers with them for 6 months or so.

Support was fast, (answers within 30 minutes pretty much around the clock) but don't think they will help you with a software problem. Unless it is on your side.

Network quality, this is the reason we switched from OVH to Hetzner, 100% uptime and no packet loss. Where we had several times that our OVH servers where unreachable.

Server quality, there was a thread on WHT about de ex40s being instable. It was true for some of the servers. I'm not sure how that ended.

Overal, I think 10/10 :)

• @taronyu - I agree for EU servers they are a fantastic choice.

• @dhamaniasad 150 thousand Mbps in Switzerland? That's 150Gbps, probably the whole Hetzner peering hardly matches that. Get me the name of your pusher. The most competitive is currently Cablecom, 40€ for some 40Mbps. Zurich now has fiber optic launching these months, but it's still 100Mbps tops and comes around 100€/mo.

• Hetzner is not that good and definitely not the only rather cheap german provider, just very large and well known. I think people, who chose Hetzner are just too lazy to look for a good hosting company and trust in every other people buying Hetzner servers. At least I had some bad experience with them.

• @michelem said:
    dhamaniasad 150 thousand Mbps in Switzerland? That's 150Gbps, probably the whole Hetzner peering hardly matches that. Get me the name of your pusher. The most competitive is currently Cablecom, 40€ for some 40Mbps. Zurich now has fiber optic launching these months, but it's still 100Mbps tops and comes around 100€/mo.

@trexos was talking about 150Mbps and not 150Gbps. 150Gbps would be crazy.

• @chrisp said:
    Hetzner is not that good and definitely not the only rather cheap german provider, just very large and well known. I think people, who chose Hetzner are just too lazy to look for a good hosting company and trust in every other people buying Hetzner servers. At least I had some bad experience with them.

At the risk of derailing a Hetzner thread, do you mind listing a few off the top of your head that you feel is comparable or better? And yes, I'm too lazy to look :)

• chrisp said: At least I had some bad experience with them.

Can you say more about this?

• Getting this = Add /27 subnet (29 usable IPv4) = 32€

= impossible they are absolutely ridiculous with their justification "policy"

• Is their uptime good? I plan to get a dedi soon

• @jcaleb said:
    Is their uptime good? I plan to get a dedi soon

We had at one point about 25 dedicated servers (mostly EX6) with Hetzner. All but a few had packet loss issues daily. Some would wander off into the weeds and require a 'manual' reset.

The worst part was the packet loss between their DCs. It made it impossible to have a reliable DB cluster. To report packet loss, you're required to run an mtr with 1000 packets both to and from the server. Go make a sandwich, build a piano, write your memoirs - you'll still have time left before your mtr report is done. And they'll refuse to help until that report is done. Very frustrating.

Thanked by 2jcaleb DeletedUser
  • @chrisp support with facts, else it's fuss.

Regarding hetzner: we had one dedi and one VPS for 2+ years. There were only two technical issues, both on the VPS. The first was an extended routing problem. The second was a node (host) problem where the guest was shut down and not taken up when the problem was solved, resulting in multiple hours downtime.

Other than this, technically I'd rate 4.5 out of 5.

The -0.5 is up to their inflexibility:

• Hetzner went very far automating everything, so they cannot edit issued invoices, or make package customizations that others do
    • their IP assignment policy is too tight. They explain this with IPs running out. This is only partly understandable: refusing to assign ONE well-grounded IP because "there's technical ways to accomplish this on an IP only" is thumb down for me.

Still, for reliability and price I grade them 4.5/5.

• @michelem said:

• Hetzner went very far automating everything, so they cannot edit issued invoices

That has to do with German bookkeeping and tax law. Hetzner is a joint stock company that has much higher requirements for a continuous bookkeeping. This differs very much from all those (German) sole entrepreneurs you'll find on LET/LEB.

• michelem said: @chrisp support with facts, else it's fuss.

You're right, sorry. 3 things:

• Packet loss, much of it. We had several chats with them, but they didn't manage to solve it
    • michelem what you said. they were very inflexible. we needed 1gbit uplinks, but only had 5 or 6 servers. they said it would be possible from 10 servers on. although we offered to pay any fee (we really set no limit) for the upgrade it was just not possible for them -> was the reason to change then (it was about 2-3 years ago when they only had 100mbit for all of their servers)
    • there was an abuse message from some Microsoft Anti-Zeus alliance, that sent Hetzner a log, where one of our servers did a GET on a robots.txt(!) on one of their honeypot domains. We ran an indexer, that clearly did this GET, but Hetzner wanted us to sign this obviously stupid message like "We will never do a get on this domain again". That was just too embarrassing and unprofessional. Their abuse management in general is very bad, we heard of 2 other cases where hetzner even shut down servers without waiting for a reaction (it was about freedom of speech things, not warez, cp, etc)

For most customers all those things won't matter so it just works, I see this. But just wanted to tell you about it. Don't know how they manage those things today, but I'm just not interested in Hetzner anymore.

• UltraVPSUltraVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2013

@michelem said:
    Any reasoning?

They have some explanation in their Wiki which might be interesting to read:
    http://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Hetzner_Pricing/en

The German hosting market is highly competitive. You will find a lot of companies with low prices here. Hetzner is one of the largest and their business model seems to be focused on low pricing. However, the necessary automation results in less flexibilty as mentioned in the posts above.

• @holyearth said:
    Getting this = Add /27 subnet (29 usable IPv4) = 32€

= impossible they are absolutely ridiculous with their justification "policy"

why ridiculous?

• chrisp said: michelem what you said. they were very inflexible. we needed 1gbit uplinks, but only had 5 or 6 servers. they said it would be possible from 10 servers on. although we offered to pay any fee (we really set no limit) for the upgrade it was just not possible for them -> was the reason to change then (it was about 2-3 years ago when they only had 100mbit for all of their servers)

Message from Hetzner "Important Client Information: Increase in bandwidth requires adjustment of your network configuration (25th September 2013)":

We are pleased to inform you that with the introduction of the free
    1 Gbit/s uplink for the new dedicated root server models, we shall be
    gradually making the 200 Mbit/s guaranteed bandwidth available for all 
    dedicated root server clients.

• They probably bought in such large bulk amounts that they can afford to do that, either that or they are purposely selling it below the "cost of production" to get customers.

• i am also looking for a dedicated server but their setup fee let me down. any other webhost which provide such h/w at similar/below that price?

• They either use cr*p, refurb hardware or 0.5U servers.

• @Enverex said:
    Such as?

In the last part of the video, it shows the roof, does not look like concrete to me, kind of insecure!!

• @MarkTurner said:

In the last part of the video, it shows the roof, does not look like concrete to me, kind of insecure!!

• Quakenet and other IRC networks are banning Hetzner IP's. So no love for 'em :(

• still google data center looks cooler