Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Edward Betts Posts @Not_Oles' Gzip Article To Hacker News!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Edward Betts Posts @Not_Oles' Gzip Article To Hacker News!

Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

Edward Betts posted my recent Low End Box article, How Much Faster Is Making A Tar Archive Without Gzip? to Hacker News.

Link to HN post: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=33130440

Check Edward Betts' HN Karma (38529 as I write this). My karma seems to have jumped from 17 to 21. Haha! :)

Thanked by 1Arkas

Comments

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

Hi congrats!
    I remember the first time I saw my own post on the index of hacker news, it felt surreal.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

In 2016 my article went viral on Hacker News.
    I saw high traffic on Google Analytics and thought somebody was attacking my website.

The website was hosted on @VPSCheap_net $10/year deal at that time.
    The server didn't crash and I didn't get in trouble with the provider.

Thanked by 2Not_Oles ericls
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider
    edited October 2022

@ericls Thanks! Yes, it feels surreal!

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

Hi @yoursunny! Congrats on your article's success! I enjoy reading your blog. Here's hoping the LEB server keeps going. :) Well, I'm not worried since I don't expect much additional load.

• emgemg Veteran

A good, helpful article that was well written. Congrats! You must be doing something right.

-> Try the same experiment with a directory full of .jpg files. Big time difference, but not much storage "saved".

(Related: I remember trying to teach the kids, "First compress, then encrypt".)

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited October 2022

zstd should easily beat gzip - Either much faster than gzip for the same compression ratio, or the same speed as gzip for a higher compression ratio. There's a LOT of compression levels.

@emg said: (Related: I remember trying to teach the kids, "First compress, then encrypt".)

In theory the other way (encrypt then compress) isn't supposed to work well, since encryption is supposed to have high entropy with minimal repetition, which would result in a very poor compression ratio.

Thanked by 3emg Not_Oles jsg
  • emgemg Veteran

@Daniel15 said:

In theory the other way (encrypt then compress) isn't supposed to work well, since encryption is supposed to have high entropy with minimal repetition, which would result in a very poor compression ratio.

Correct! That was the point. Some engineers do not realize that.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles