Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proton AG releases Proton Drive!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proton AG releases Proton Drive!

FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

I just received an email about this:
~~
Since we started Proton Mail in 2014, one of our goals has been to empower you with the best privacy-focused tools to help you protect your data. As part of this goal, we’re now launching Proton Drive!

We’ve spent the past year working to ensure it’s the most private and secure cloud storage service available today. This would not have been possible without the help of the Proton community. More than 500,000 of you provided valuable feedback during the Proton Drive beta period. Thank you for your support.

Proton Drive is now available to everyone, regardless of which plan you’re on.

→ Try Proton Drive(https://drive.proton.me/?utm_source=proton_users&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ww-all-2c-generic-coms_email-g_awa-newsletter_oct_2022&utm_term=unlimited_visionary_users)

Proton Drive offers you the privacy of offline storage and the convenience and reliability of cloud storage.

All files are protected with end-to-end encryption
File metadata is also end-to-end encrypted, including file names, extensions, create/modify dates, etc.
Digital signatures allow you to check the authenticity and integrity of files

And like all Proton services, Proton Drive is open source, independently audited, and Swiss-based. Check out the Proton Drive launch video.()

Proton Drive is available for free, but you can get a premium experience starting at as low as €3.49 per month. Or you can get up to 500 GB of storage and access to the premium version of all Proton services with our Proton Unlimited plan.

Checkout our plans(https://proton.me/drive/pricing?product=drive&utm_source=proton_users&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ww-all-2c-generic-coms_email-g_awa-newsletter_oct_2022&utm_term=unlimited_visionary_users)
~~

Thanked by 1pbx

Comments

• They also are allowed to store your IP now according to TOS.

Before they were as good as privacy got, now they’re just halfway better.

• pbxpbx Member

Meh. Free plan is too small (1GB) and paid plans aren't cheap enough compared to a DIY setup on a bunch of cheap VPSes...

Thanked by 1dominos
  • ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited October 2022
  • You know, some of the part of privacy must lay on the end user as well. If you're an activist of any kind and you know you're going against your gov. you better take precautions other than using "encrypted email".

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@serv_ee said: You know, some of the part of privacy must lay on the end user as well. If you're an activist of any kind and you know you're going against your gov. you better take precautions other than using "encrypted email".

I have no idea what you mean.

• @Arkas said:

@serv_ee said: You know, some of the part of privacy must lay on the end user as well. If you're an activist of any kind and you know you're going against your gov. you better take precautions other than using "encrypted email".

Easy. Don't be naive and login to your "oh so important encrypted mail" with your own IP.

• @serv_ee said:

@Arkas said:

Easy. Don't be naive and login to your "oh so important encrypted mail" with your own IP.

If using Tor is a given then what’s so good with Proton compared to Google?

Waste of a previously good service.

• @emgh said:

@serv_ee said:

@Arkas said:

It's good enough. Until you get on the radar of your politicians.

• @serv_ee said:

@emgh said:

@serv_ee said:

@Arkas said:

I mean, both Google and Proton releases the IP if required.

Both keep the IP.

One is a way more polished product, the other one isn’t, and could get away with it because they didn’t save your IP.

• @emgh said:

@serv_ee said:

@emgh said:

@serv_ee said:

@Arkas said:

Both keep the IP.

One is a way more polished product, the other one isn’t, and could get away with it because they didn’t save your IP.

But thats my point. If you do "shady" shit try to cover your tracks a little better than just using an encrypted email which stores your data anyway.

Not trying to imply that being an activist is being shady but couldnt figure a better word right now.

• @serv_ee said:

@emgh said:

@serv_ee said:

@emgh said:

@serv_ee said:

@Arkas said:

Both keep the IP.

But thats my point. If you do "shady" shit try to cover your tracks a little better than just using an encrypted email which stores your data anyway.

Not trying to imply that being an activist is being shady but couldnt figure a better word right now.

And I get that, but if Tor was a given even when using Proton, one could agrue it’s a needless product.

Using Google with Tor would yield the same result.

• @emgh said:

@serv_ee said:

@emgh said:

@serv_ee said:

@emgh said:

@serv_ee said:

@Arkas said:

Both keep the IP.

And I get that, but if Tor was a given even when using Proton, one could agrue it’s a needless product.

I wouldn't go as far as Tor to begin with. A simple VPN would give them a more run around to begin with.

• @serv_ee said:

@emgh said:

@serv_ee said:

@emgh said:

@serv_ee said:

@emgh said:

@serv_ee said:

@Arkas said:

Both keep the IP.

I wouldn't go as far as Tor to begin with. A simple VPN would give them a more run around to begin with.

Sure, but the point is the same: it masks your IP.

If you mask your IP, then neither Google nor Proton would have your real IP.

I feel like we’re going in circles, If I protect my privacy from my end, and give any provider an IP that’s not trackable to me, any provider would suffice.

If I didn’t, Proton would previously suffice, and Google wouldn’t.

Now, none of them do; might as well use Google.

• @emgh said: I feel like we’re going in circles, If I protect my privacy from my end, and give any provider an IP that’s not trackable to me, any provider would suffice.

Ah okay, I understood you wrong the first time around, sorry for that.

I agree.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @serv_ee said:

@emgh said: I feel like we’re going in circles, If I protect my privacy from my end, and give any provider an IP that’s not trackable to me, any provider would suffice.

Ah okay, I understood you wrong the first time around, sorry for that.

I agree.

I’m a bit in my own head sometimes, aruguing like the person I’m talking to know the rest of my thoughts as well.

Nice! :)

• @serv_ee said:

You know, some of the part of privacy must lay on the end user as well. If you're an activist of any kind and you know you're going against your gov. you better take precautions other than using "encrypted email".

Agree. Privacy & Security ≠ Anonymity. Another fact most people fail to understand.

Thanked by 1FatGrizzly