Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debian goes non free! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debian goes non free!

2»

Comments

• @default said:

@kasodk said:

@Arkas said:

@kasodk said: It is sad that you (LET) just copy-paste articles from other websites.

This is the News section :/

That doesn't give you the right to violate others' copyright by copying their articles 1-1.
    And potentially damage their SEO because of this duplicate content with the canonical tag set to this page.

You ever been to school?! Whenever you copy something is perfectly legal and correct, as long as you post the reference from where the information is taken. In this case the moderator posted a direct link to article and website. This is perfectly legal, as the poster did not provide the information under the assumption that he/she created it, but instead is showing publicly the source of it.

Russian school, where you can copy verbatim?

No, in school you referenced something and provided quotes to support your argument, but you get kicked out of school for copy and paste in entirety.

Your school licenses anything it distributes for education materials. Well, our schools did.

In real life, articles list their permissions at the bottom showing they obtained license/permission to republish.

• @angstrom said:
    I suspect that the best choice among them is Trisquel, which has been around for a while

Sounds like a cough syrup.

• @TimboJones said:

@angstrom said:
    I suspect that the best choice among them is Trisquel, which has been around for a while

Don't take Trisquel if you're allergic to Trisquel. Trisquel may cause death. Tell your doctor if you have allergies to death. Trisquel has been linked with an increase in death.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @dahartigan said:

@TimboJones said:

@angstrom said:

Don't take Trisquel if you're allergic to Trisquel. Trisquel may cause death. Tell your doctor if you have allergies to death. Trisquel has been linked with an increase in death.

Shit! Pharmacist asked me if I had any allergies and I forgot to say "death"! Luckily, I'm fine, but that was a close one. Won't forget again. Thanks for the reminder.

• so, ubuntu?

• There it goes. Debian is also vulnerable to hidden supply chain attacks via closed-source vulnerability now.

Emphasis on hidden. Everything is vulnerable but open source software are auditable.

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

Fucking nice

Some of our servers with specific NICs need non-free. Its always causing pain and aids

• So here non free means closed source and not paid, right?

• nikozinnikozin Member
    edited October 2022

I thought ubuntu has gone to shit with the snap store, and now Debian...

soon we will see Debian XFCE shipped with Alexa and bloatware.

ps: it seems Ubuntu starting from v20+ is no longer feasible for older hardware. Tried to install on Intel Celeron pc with 8gigs of ram, it took more time than Windows 10.

Thanked by 1default
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

We'll all die!!!

Non-open-source software kills kittens!

I want only open source bloatware and hobbyware! With GPL and shackles and plenty lottery-factor, yay.

In other news: only whimps need proper engineering and safe TLS.

Thanked by 1default
  • @jsg said:
    We'll all die!!!

Non-open-source software kills kittens!

I want only open source bloatware and hobbyware! With GPL and shackles and plenty lottery-factor, yay.

Are you sure you're not a character from Futurama? If not, you should pitch to Matt Groening if he's still alive.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@TimboJones said: Are you sure you're not a character from Futurama? If not, you should pitch to Matt Groening if he's still alive.

Ahhhh Timbo...

Thanked by 1jsg
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited October 2022

@jsg said:

Hi. I am a whimp and I want proper engineering through open-source and with safe TLS for my pictures with kittens.
    Kittens lives matter!

Thanked by 1jsg