Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Are you interested in the new Ryzen 7K lineup (server usage)?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Are you interested in the new Ryzen 7K lineup (server usage)?

HxxxHxxx Member
edited October 6 in General

Excited for the new Ryzen 7K CPU models?
Will you ditch previous gen in favor of the new (as a customer and as a provider)?

I've seen one or two providers offering these as dedicated servers (in other places). Do we have any VPS / VM providers in these parts with the new models?

Comments

  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited October 6

    @Francisco taggin the best Ryzen VM provider.
    Any future plans on introducing these goodies?
    Giving the Stallion new wheels!!

    (in my opinion)

  • MikeAMikeA Member, Host Rep

    Not worth as VM provider at product release.

  • HavyHavy Member

    As it already been mentioned, it's not worth it for virtual providers. I also don't get (beyond for eye canding and bragging "rights") of people using them from a VPS precetive.

    Start offering mean Hybrid Servers configurations that are actually cost effective then we're would be talking.

    But for a everyday VPS, I would even take a E5 2680v4, Intel Xeon Scalable Gold, etc.

  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited October 6

    have you seen power consumption and DDR5 prices?

    Ryzen 7xxx is bad deal for hosting purposes. Its better to build more 5900X/5950X systems for same money. Or just get some used EPYC 7xx2 deals.

    Thanked by 1Havy
  • FranciscoFrancisco Member, Top Host, Host Rep

    @Hxxx said:
    @Francisco taggin the best Ryzen VM provider.
    Any future plans on introducing these goodies?
    Giving the Stallion new wheels!!

    (in my opinion)

    Not immediately.

    The power draws pretty crazy and requires new boards, ram, etc.

    Only having a few nodes with it also leads to people screaming to be migrated/get the better stuff. I already have people asking to be migrated to the 5900x's in LUX.

    Francisco

    Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • HavyHavy Member

    @AXYZE said:
    have you seen power consumption and DDR5 prices?

    Ryzen 7xxx is bad deal for hosting purposes. Its better to build more 5900X/5950X systems for same money. Or just get some used EPYC 7xx2 deals.

    Not only that but those providers will be more likely be able to leave some breathing room so you get to use your vCores more readily. Than if the similar would be done on 7000's.

    Just because it's "bigger and meaner" doesn't mean as the end person, you gonna get that in your VPS.

    Which is why I am personally skeptical of VPSes for applications that requires reliable CPU accesses, like game servers.

  • Daniel15Daniel15 Member
    edited October 6

    @Havy said: personally skeptical of VPSes for applications that requires reliable CPU accesses

    It's fine if you use a provider that offers proper dedicated CPU cores using processor affinity ("CPU pinning"), because then the core/cores are truly dedicated to your VPS.

    @Havy said: I would even take a E5 2680v4

    These use quite a bit of power, and providers are trying to optimize for power usage.

  • HavyHavy Member

    @Daniel15 said: t's fine if you use a provider that offers proper dedicated CPU cores using processor affinity ("CPU pinning"), because then the core/cores are truly dedicated to your VPS.

    Exactly but the kicker is that they are either well overpriced (4vCores, 16GB RAM for like $60/month) or cores you really can't get good single threads on.

    At those prices, you might as well get a OVH box or something and call it a day.

    At least until there are more options in those markets.

  • KrisKris Member

    The most important question, how well does it idle?

    Thanked by 2ralf hyperblast
  • HxxxHxxx Member

    Seen the replies about the power consumption. Would that matter to providers leasing servers? I don't think that's a factor to consider in such case. If you are colo for sure that becomes an issue.

  • speedypagespeedypage Member, Patron Provider

    @Hxxx said:
    Seen the replies about the power consumption. Would that matter to providers leasing servers? I don't think that's a factor to consider in such case. If you are colo for sure that becomes an issue.

    The providers leasing these out would just pass on the additional cost of power usage, so it's no different.

  • Daniel15Daniel15 Member
    edited October 7

    @Hxxx said: Seen the replies about the power consumption. Would that matter to providers leasing servers?

    Of course it matters - your server is still using power :tongue:. It's a pretty big part of the cost. Increases in electricity prices will affect you less if your server is more efficient.

  • If I would have enough money for 7k lineup, I would definitely go with it. To have much less power usage and lower temps, I would set PBO to 105W and all problems are solved.

    Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • HavyHavy Member

    @Hxxx said:
    Seen the replies about the power consumption. Would that matter to providers leasing servers? I don't think that's a factor to consider in such case. If you are colo for sure that becomes an issue.

    Even then, it's hard to get "at the meter" colo power (or anything) until you get the point of cabinets, pods, suites, etc.

    These days, you are paying by the amperage, circuits and so forth. So unless you are "forced" to move up a package or whatever you wanna calls it a provider is not incentivized to "save" power at the meter. Since they cannot be billed at the meter NORMALLY.

    Hey, I would be doing the same and you would too right?

    Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited October 7

    I don't think power usage matters for rented unless ToS say it does. That definitely will depend on your rent server provider ToS.

    Example WebNX is offering Ryzen 7K. Let's say is $150/mo. That's what I pay, even at using the CPU in performance mode. Power prices are not an issue everywhere. Depends on location and obviously ToS.

  • @Hxxx said:
    I don't think power usage matters for rented unless ToS say it does. That definitely will depend on your rent server provider ToS.

    Example WebNX is offering Ryzen 7K. Let's say is $150/mo. That's what I pay, even at using the CPU in performance mode. Power prices are not an issue everywhere. Depends on location and obviously ToS.

    They'll just take into account that you could run it at 100% all the time and then push the cost onto you in the monthly cost.

    Thanked by 3Hxxx Havy Daniel15
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited October 7

    @serv_ee I rent and colo, both things.
    It depends on the ToS. Some providers don't care about your usage.
    In fact if you are offering powerful CPU's in rented servers, when you are setting the price... you already considered the most usage cost and then added your profit margin.

    If you are not doing that then pretty much doing things wrong.

    Sure we have seen gas prices go up in some places in the world and some places are more affected than others (hetzner for example). But that is not the case everywhere.

    ToS matters.

  • HxxxHxxx Member

    Have we reached the point where using Ryzen with the new line up (7K) is not justified anymore for servers in comparison with EPYC?

  • 128GB limit is a real cuck

    Thanked by 1MikeA
  • @Hxxx said:
    @serv_ee I rent and colo, both things.
    It depends on the ToS. Some providers don't care about your usage.
    In fact if you are offering powerful CPU's in rented servers, when you are setting the price... you already considered the most usage cost and then added your profit margin.

    If you are not doing that then pretty much doing things wrong.

    Sure we have seen gas prices go up in some places in the world and some places are more affected than others (hetzner for example). But that is not the case everywhere.

    ToS matters.

    You don't understand. Not a single provider will rent you a server at loss.

  • HxxxHxxx Member

    @serv_ee i think you don't understand. We are saying the same.

    Price increase if ToS say it can. Otherwise is a cancel from provider side.
    But renting a server TODAY with high power prices, they already include a modest price increase. Obviously a provider offering Ryzen 7K already considered cost.

    ToS is key. Some provider rent you servers but in the terms it says that if you use too much power, they can increase your prices. For example CPU mining.

  • HavyHavy Member

    @Hxxx said:
    @serv_ee i think you don't understand. We are saying the same.

    Price increase if ToS say it can. Otherwise is a cancel from provider side.
    But renting a server TODAY with high power prices, they already include a modest price increase. Obviously a provider offering Ryzen 7K already considered cost.

    ToS is key. Some provider rent you servers but in the terms it says that if you use too much power, they can increase your prices. For example CPU mining.

    Every provider already do this. Usually stating in one language or another that if you cause them and/or their other people/companies undue burdens or expenses you are liable and responsible for those "deemed" expenses.

    so to save yourself the troubles, don't be that guy...

  • emgemg Member

    @serv_ee said:

    You don't understand. Not a single provider will rent you a server at loss.

    Are you kidding? Providers do it all the time here on LowEndTalk. They are nicknamed "deadpoolers" or "summer hosts." They try to make up the difference in volume. :-)

  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited October 7

    @Havy said:

    @Hxxx said:
    @serv_ee i think you don't understand. We are saying the same.

    Price increase if ToS say it can. Otherwise is a cancel from provider side.
    But renting a server TODAY with high power prices, they already include a modest price increase. Obviously a provider offering Ryzen 7K already considered cost.

    ToS is key. Some provider rent you servers but in the terms it says that if you use too much power, they can increase your prices. For example CPU mining.

    Every provider already do this. Usually stating in one language or another that if you cause them and/or their other people/companies undue burdens or expenses you are liable and responsible for those "deemed" expenses.

    so to save yourself the troubles, don't be that guy...

    yes like I said. ToS.
    But yeah is not normal to have price increases like that unless you are doing something wrong. Always use good providers, if you go too cheap it will burn you eventually.

    Thanked by 1Havy
  • yabs please

Sign In or Register to comment.