Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How you deal with spams - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How you deal with spams

2»

Comments

• My email providers are pretty good at filtering spam in the first place. If some spam gets through I just ignore and delete.

• emgemg Veteran

@mosquitoguy said:

This is also why email clients have stagnated for over a decade. People have resigned to using gmail as a webclient that no one even bothers to develop a good email client anymore. Indirectly, it caused Outlook to remain "the" email client in the enterprise space.

Does anyone else miss Eudora?

• I try not to go overboard, so I just block the entire ASN it originates from.

In other cases I've also found success with Proofpoint Essentials.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@ralf said: but haven't yet found a good solution for getting spam I've marked back in my mail client back into spamassassin so it can learn from it.

I've been trying to find a way for ages, I don't think there is a realistic way to do it.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@emg said: Does anyone else miss Eudora?

Ohhhh Eudora, that was a great2 client!

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited October 2022

I run my own email server.

With obtrusive/repeating offenders I

• flag them to diverse anti-spam orgs
    • add them to my mail filters (server side)
    • look up their IP and firewall their providers whole IP range.
    • In really nasty cases I take their actions as a challenge and respond (usually my code does work much faster than theirs...)

TL;DR brush off occasional spam but accept a war declaration if you get one and respond adequately.

no mercy with massive spammers, none!

• @default said:

@rcy026 said:
    But things change and today that would be a total nightmare and probably render email more or less useless.

Giving all our email to few corporations is the worst thing. We will lose all email messaging in bureaucracy and rules imposed by corporations. No more freedom; no more privacy.

I cant really see what you see. Big corporations have been running email services for decades, I cant say that they have imposed any rules that have changed email.

We forgot to keep the data for ourselves, and now give it away to corporations investing in artificial intelligence, just for our comfort and plausible laziness; and then we wonder why we get targeted advertising.

Who wonders that?
    If people do not understand targeted advertising, then they are probably not intelligent enough to run their own mail server anyway.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Tbh anti spam technology has not kept up with the spammers.

• emgemg Veteran

@rcy026 said:

I cant really see what you see. Big corporations have been running email services for decades, I cant say that they have imposed any rules that have changed email.

[...]

The dominant mail providers such as Yahoo, Gmail, and Microsoft serve as gateways for email. They drop email messages without explanation. They do not provide senders with much ability to correct the problem. Because they control such a high percentage of email accounts these days, your email is effectively broken if you cannot send or receive from those dominant providers.

Because I use my own domains and a regular shared hosting provider for most email, I have had to adapt multiple times to their chicaneries, just to get my personal email through to other family members who use Gmail and other dominant mail providers.

FYI, my email is just personal, individual email messages among family and friends. Nothing spammy at all.

Even today, Gmail delays delivery of my email to at least one family member. Last week I sent an email asking if the food we planned for lunch would be appealing to them. I sent it in the early morning. I had to call to get an answer. The email was delivered late that evening, after being stalled at Gmail for the day. This happens a lot.

(P.S. If you say "Switch to MxRoute" ... I already have an account there. I would love to move all my email to them. The problem is that I have many email forwarders and need a way to backup (and restore in an emergency). When MxRoute switched from cPanel to DirectAdmin, the backup/restore capability was lost and it was thrust on users to write their own routines through DirectAdmin's API. I have not had the inclination to write the code myself (yet), hoping that such a basic capability might be written by someone and shared for all to use. Someday, perhaps.)

@rcy026 said:
    Who wonders that?
    If people do not understand targeted advertising, then they are probably not intelligent enough to run their own mail server anyway.

I think this is grossly unfair. Most neurosurgeons can't run a mail server either, and I would not call them unintelligent. The companies behind "big data" have been very skilled at hiding in plain sight.

Few people grasp the scope of tracking or how much targeted advertising they see. Many people are highly intelligent, but not skilled in the art. I bet that most of this week's Nobel Prize winners pay little attention to targeted advertising, and none of them know how to run their own mail server. That's just a hunch.

• @Pwner said:
    I just mark the email as spam and move on with my day.

I'm a bit hesitant to hit the unsubscribe button on some of the messages (depending on the sender) because if they're illegally spamming then they just confirmed that I'm receiving my messages and can spam me further.

That's true. I have also noticed sudden increase in spam emails after any action.

• @emg said:

@rcy026 said:

[...]

The dominant mail providers such as Yahoo, Gmail, and Microsoft serve as gateways for email. They drop email messages without explanation. They do not provide senders with much ability to correct the problem. Because they control such a high percentage of email accounts these days, your email is effectively broken if you cannot send or receive from those dominant providers.

Because I use my own domains and a regular shared hosting provider for most email, I have had to adapt multiple times to their chicaneries, just to get my personal email through to other family members who use Gmail and other dominant mail providers.

FYI, my email is just personal, individual email messages among family and friends. Nothing spammy at all.

Even today, Gmail delays delivery of my email to at least one family member. Last week I sent an email asking if the food we planned for lunch would be appealing to them. I sent it in the early morning. I had to call to get an answer. The email was delivered late that evening, after being stalled at Gmail for the day. This happens a lot.

Then our experiences differ. I've never had a problem getting email delivered to or from the big companies, and their delivery time is usual counted in seconds which is quite impressive considering the amount of mails they handle.
    And yes, that is true even for private domains hosted on private servers, never had any problem with delivery. I probably send several thousand emails to gmail addresses every day, not once have I experienced any delays in delivery.

@rcy026 said:
    Who wonders that?

I think this is grossly unfair. Most neurosurgeons can't run a mail server either, and I would not call them unintelligent.

Agreed, I should have used another word than intelligent. But I think most people get the point.

Few people grasp the scope of tracking or how much targeted advertising they see. Many people are highly intelligent, but not skilled in the art. I bet that most of this week's Nobel Prize winners pay little attention to targeted advertising, and none of them know how to run their own mail server. That's just a hunch.

Probably, because it does not pose a problem for them.
    As I said before, 99% of all users are perfectly happy using Outlook or Gmail, they do not need or want anything else. They have no interest in running their own mailserver.
    And again, 99% of all users are not paranoid tinfoils that screams and hides just as soon as someone mentions targeted advertising. While I totally agree that personal integrity and anonymity must be protected, it is pretty well regulated.

Thanked by 1emg
  • deadpooldeadpool Member
    edited October 2022

Personally I take spam and cut it into quarter inch slices and then throw it in a greased pan. Put in on some white bread with cheese, mayo, mustard!