Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to check if cpu is throttled or not by a cloud provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to check if cpu is throttled or not by a cloud provider?

Hi everyone,
I purchased the vps “cloud vps s” with 4 v cpu AMD EPY 7282 processors and 8 GB from Contabo.
I ran a YASB and can see the network speed and fio disk speed are fine since I contacted them and asked them to remove the limits but for the cpu,I have no clue how to verify if they limit or not the cpu usage.
How can you check if the cpu are throttled or not?
Does this result below seems acceptable?
https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/17747412

Thank you

Comments

• Have you tried to search for 7282 on that website and comparing your results to others?

Thanked by 2dominos lentro
  • @JabJab said:

Have you tried to search for 7282 on that website and comparing your results to others?

Thanks,I didn't notice that website has a search function.

• Yes it is limited or stolen. This exact CPU should be around ~1000 single core, for comparison netcup has better score with 2.2Ghz Zen2.

But Contabo won't "fix it", its exactly as supposed to work. Its shared CPU, nobody said its dedicated. If you want dedicated then chose VDS line or just switch to Netcup root server.

Watch "st" in "top" command when youre running GB5 to see CPU steal.

Thanked by 2dominos devp
  • @dominos said: Does this result below seems acceptable?

That's pretty good for Contabo, I have seen worse. Watch out for CPU steal.

I think Contabo has changed something on their end for the better, I no longer see any steal on my VPS.

Thanked by 1dominos
  • @itsnotv said:

@dominos said: Does this result below seems acceptable?

That's pretty good for Contabo, I have seen worse. Watch out for CPU steal.

I think Contabo has changed something on their end for the better, I no longer see any steal on my VPS.

Being new to servers, what is stealing and how does it work?

Thanked by 1dominos
  • @AXYZE said:
    Yes it is limited or stolen. This exact CPU should be around ~1000 single core, for comparison netcup has better score with 2.2Ghz Zen2.

But Contabo won't "fix it", its exactly as supposed to work. Its shared CPU, nobody said its dedicated. If you want dedicated then chose VDS line or just switch to Netcup root server.

I don't know about Contabo but dedicated in VDSes and "Dedicated CPU" VPSes are not official terms and therefore doesn't carries any promises you are getting what you MIGHT be thinking.

typically though you are getting dedicated USAGE rights. In other words you can typically bursts the VPS/VDS to 100% as you needs to without being trottled, suspended, etc. Assuming you are following AUP/TOS (for example, not mining/plotting it).

If you want "real" dedicated CPU, while still being a "vps". Your normal typical options might be limited to Hybrid Servers, Hybrid Smart Servers, or similar.

Those forms of services, NORMALLY means you will get at least dedicated threads. Though they should be allocating them at 2vCores incrementals and reserving the Physical Core(s) at the hypervisior level to your VPS alone.

Thanked by 1dominos
  • @User1 said: Being new to servers, what is stealing and how does it work?

In the simplest terms, if you have 4 shared cores, when you see 50% steal then you have 2 cores available, if you see 75% steal then only 1 core available.

30% to 50% steal used to be normal in Contabo VPS, but I am very surprised now that I see less than 5%. Maybe they fixed something.

Thanked by 2dominos User1
  • @itsnotv said:
    30% to 50% steal used to be normal in Contabo VPS, but I am very surprised now that I see less than 5%. Maybe they fixed something.

Probably has to do with cores being cheap now? I would think E5s and EPYCs are not as expensive as per core count as it used to be? Combine that with larger cores to go around, even if the higher density is accounted for, you are probably more unlikely to "bump" into someone's VPS.

Thanked by 1dominos
  • I launched another curl -sL yabs.sh | bash.
    During the network speed tests,the cpu steal was between 0 and 1.5.
    During the Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test, the cpu steal was between 0 and 0.6.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited October 2022

@User1 said: Being new to servers, what is stealing and how does it work?

"Stolen" time is the percentage of time that a virtual CPU wants to do work but it's waiting because the real CPU is already being used. High steal usually means that the server is heavily overloaded.

@itsnotv said: 30% to 50% steal used to be normal in Contabo VPS, but I am very surprised now that I see less than 5%.

Their EPYC NVMe servers are much faster and have way less steal than the old Intel servers. I was pleasantly surprised by it.

Thanked by 1User1
  • E5 CPUs are obsolete given high electricity usage and less cores than amd epyc's. Avoid E5 if there is an option for epyc.