Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Random server freeze
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Random server freeze

afnafn Member
edited October 2022 in Help

Hi

One of my dedicated servers freezes suddenly every few weeks, no ping, no SSH, all services (webserver, ftp, etc) are down.

When I connect via KVM it is frozen and I can't do anything but I see a weird message from UFW, can't scroll up or down...

Restarting solves the issues.

The screen I see on KVM (covered some IPs just in case)

Which is just some UFW log, that I believe is irrelevant...

Any help and suggestions to figure the cause of this issue is much appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• afnafn Member

@yoursunny in case you have anything to suggest...

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

Is this a VPS or a Dedicated?
    Does it have IPMI/IDRAC?

• afnafn Member

@DataIdeas-Josh said: Is this a VPS or a Dedicated?

Does it have IPMI/IDRAC?

dedi, yes, but frozen as well

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

I wonder...
    Is your logs or server storage full?

• afnafn Member

@DataIdeas-Josh said: Is your logs or server storage full?

nope...

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

Any chance you're using Proxmox?
    I had similar problems on two of my private servers, upgrading to opt in Kernel 5.19 fixed the problem, at least so far

• CiprianoOscarCiprianoOscar Member, Host Rep

@afn said:
    Hi

One of my dedicated servers freezes suddenly every few weeks, no ping, no SSH, all services (webserver, ftp, etc) are down.

When I connect via KVM it is frozen and I can't do anything but I see a weird message from UFW, can't scroll up or down...

Restarting solves the issues.

The screen I see on KVM (covered some IPs just in case)

Which is just some UFW log, that I believe is irrelevant...

Any help and suggestions to figure the cause of this issue is much appreciated, thanks!

Have u ever check your power supply? I got this similar error on some old hosts and was fixed just changing it but i'm not sure is the same things

• vbavba Member

I had similar issue recently, My server was heat up. Try to check your hardware status

• SloMailSloMail Member
    edited October 2022

Which OS is it and which kernel, i have had mostly such issues with AMD servers and kernel. By updating to kernel lt or ml the issue resolved.

• afnafn Member
    edited October 2022

@SloMail OS is Debian 11

I tried kernel updates, etc, nothing worked and I gave up on debugging after hours and I assumed if it is power supply ( @CiprianoOscar ) , overheat ( @vba ) , or any other HW issues, it is out of my hands

So I just asked to replace the server while keeping the old drives, This will probably eliminate the random freeze issue.

Only problem is: The new server with old drives refuses to boot :/ , for different reason
    ( disk mduuid not found even after re-installing grub2 :tired_face: ) , but that's another story, I will try to solve it hopefully...

• @afn said:
    @SloMail OS is Debian 11

I tried kernel updates, etc, nothing worked and I gave up on debugging after hours and I assumed if it is power supply ( @CiprianoOscar ) , overheat ( @vba ) , or any other HW issues, it is out of my hands

So I just asked to replace the server while keeping the old drives, This will probably eliminate the random freeze issue.

Only problem is: The new server with old drives refuses to boot :/ , for different reason
    ( disk mduuid not found even after re-installing grub2 :tired_face: ) , but that's another story, I will try to solve it hopefully...

If you were still troubleshooting, you'd get all the temperatures available to the motherboard, CPU and hard drives.
    You'd also look at the system log for errors and warnings. Run smartctl on the drives, minimum of the short test and longer test if possible.

You'll also want to note if the freezes happen at specific intervals.

I'd expect reboots if it was PSU.

• @afn said:
    @SloMail OS is Debian 11

You can install os in different new drive on server and mount previous drive.

Thanked by 1afn
  • afnafn Member
    edited October 2022

@TimboJones said: You'd also look at the system log for errors and warnings. Run smartctl on the drives, minimum of the short test and longer test if possible.

Did that... nothing conclusive

You'll also want to note if the freezes happen at specific intervals.

Nope, not regular/specific intervals...

I agree with you if it was PSU, I would expect a bigger sign (power related) than just a freeze on the same screen. (server reboot, power off, etc)

• Do a memtest to make sure your DIMMs are ok. Preferably more than 1 pass.
    If possible try a different CPU too to see if it's replicated on there. Unfortunately none of this is particularly easy to identify the root cause of based on experience.

Thanked by 1afn
  • The primary two causes that I can assume for the issue -

• Overheating
    • Hardware / OS issue

Maybe you can try reinstalling your OS.