Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pricing out 1u colocation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Pricing out 1u colocation

Potentially considering moving away from renting multiple vps's. looking for 1u 1amp 8tb bandwidth 1gb port(shared fine) for 30$/m or less, eastern US or Canada area(can pay yearly). Is this realistic /are there multiple options or is my budget unrealistic? Usecase is for basically plex/private game server (people I know irl only) and legal torrents (no dmca issues expected).

Comments

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

Hi @james50a!

I think @Ian_Dot_Tech might do $35. Level One Servers has good service which seems worth 5 extra bucks above your stated budget.

If you don't mind my asking what hardware do you have?

Thanks,

Tom

Thanked by 1james50a
  • james50ajames50a Member
    edited September 2022

Don't have the hardware yet as still pricing it out. Was hopping to go ryzen 5000 but not sure I can find the pro series cpu for ecc support so might end up with an intel setup. Really don't know at this point so trying to plan it out to see if it makes sense. Also going to be fun trying to balance power consumption so it's exciting project for me.

End goal is to setup zfs raid z1 pool with ssd caching maybe with vms for everything else.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited September 2022

@james50a said:
    Don't have the hardware yet as still pricing it out. Was hopping to go ryzen 5000 but not sure I can find the pro series cpu for ecc support so might end up with an intel setup. Really don't know at this point so trying to plan it out to see if it makes sense. Also going to be fun trying to balance power consumption so it's exciting project for me.

End goal is to setup zfs raid z1 pool with ssd caching maybe with vms for everything else.

Are you sure you wont better with dedi if its just 1U and you dont have hardware yet?
    You can get some $50-$90 deals at various providers like Reliablesite with 1Gbps unmetered and big drives. Just wait for some special:)

Soyoustart SYS-2 is $28 and has 4x4TB (offer says 4x2, but in 99%+ of time they deploy with 4TB) + 8 core xeon, but only 250Mbps. Its less than what you want to pay for colo and you have HW and replacements included in price. Setup ZFS Z1 + 16GB ARC cache and youre fine :) available right now in Canada.

• @james50a said:
    Was hopping to go ryzen 5000 but not sure I can find the pro series cpu for ecc support.

For example, Asus Pro WS X570-ACE supports ECC Memory
    Source

edited September 2022

@AXYZE said:

Are you sure you wont better with dedi if its just 1U and you dont have hardware yet?
    You can get some $50-$90 deals at various providers like Reliablesite with 1Gbps unmetered and big drives. Just wait for some special:)

All dedis I've seen are expensive af for higher storage configs in us. Rather control my own hardware. Feels like adding a 12tb hdd to any dedi provider they want half the new cost per month..

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited September 2022

@james50a said:

@AXYZE said:

All dedis I've seen are expensive af for higher storage configs in us. Rather control my own hardware. Feels like adding a 12tb hdd to any dedi provider they want half the new cost per month..

Check my edit for cheap storage solution in NA :)
    If it gets sold oit just ask here for service transfer

edited September 2022

@masiqbal said:

@james50a said:
    Was hopping to go ryzen 5000 but not sure I can find the pro series cpu for ecc support.

Source

@masiqbal said:

@james50a said:

Source

Interesting but no ipmi. Reason for needing pro was for the motherboard I was looking at for an apu requires pro designation to support ecc whereas reg ryzen 5000 cpu just work with ecc. Getting a dedicated gpu ontop of everything else I think i might have problems with power budget so need apu

• @james50a said:

@AXYZE said:

I noticed this for any hardware that isn't "stock configured" that you might be paying an arm and leg for. Probably mostly due to combination of having to pay someone to do that, lower volumes on hand and to be ordered and etc. So a 6TB HDD might costs less than a 12TB one since the 6TB one is more commonly deployed, used, replaced, etc.

• afnafn Member
    edited September 2022

@james50a said: ather control my own hardware. Feels like adding a 12tb hdd to any dedi provider they want half the new cost per month

Yes but when the drive dies, you need to replace it... and don't take Amazon prices as a metric, because you will need datacenter drives if you want them to live long enough, and these are way more expensive... If server is rented DC eats the cost.

I tried to look for colo with a low budget like you, because I wanted more storage and I wanted some i9 cpu without paying 100$+ monthly, but I ended up realizing renting is really cheaper when you factor the hardware loss risk. If your server dies for any reason, and believe me it happens, it's on you.

I had my Hetzner EX server stop working, never figured out what the issue was for 3 days, it was hardware related but we could find where, Server was swapped while keeping drives. Problem solved. My win, maybe Hetzner's loss? maybe they re-used some components or found the issue and fixed it? but either way I don't care and I don't need to care nor waste my valuable time on it.

Also on dedis, if for whatever reason your provider becomes a piece of shit, with dedi, you just move. With colo, you are married to your provider, you need to act nice until you get your server out and sent somewhere else and there will surely be a downtime.

Thanked by 2darkimmortal ralf
  • @afn said:

@james50a said: ather control my own hardware. Feels like adding a 12tb hdd to any dedi provider they want half the new cost per month

Yes but when the drive dies, you need to replace it... and don't take Amazon prices as a metric, because you will need datacenter drives if you want them to live long enough, and these are way more expensive... If server is rented DC eats the cost.

I tried to look for colo with a low budget like you, because I wanted more storage and I wanted some i9 cpu without paying 100$+ monthly, but I ended up realizing renting is really cheaper when you factor the hardware loss risk. If your server dies for any reason, and believe me it happens, it's on you.

I had my Hetzner EX server stop working, never figured out what the issue was for 3 days, it was hardware related but we could find where, Server was swapped while keeping drives. Problem solved. My win, maybe Hetzner's loss? maybe they re-used some components or found the issue and fixed it? but either way I don't care and I don't need to care nor waste my valuable time on it.

Also on dedis, if for whatever reason your provider becomes a piece of shit, with dedi, you just move. With colo, you are married to your provider, you need to act nice until you get your server out and sent somewhere else and there will surely be a downtime.

Absolutely there are buts and ifs but don't pretend renting have it's fair share of buts and ifs too.

I would instead focus on what leverage, assets and supports you got at your disposal and go from there.

Sometimes, it's better to rent, other times it's better to colocate. It's just really depends on your mileages, even Microsoft rent out their instrafacture in certain places even though in theory they could very well collocate to the moon and back.

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited September 2022

@AXYZE said:
    Soyoustart SYS-2 is $28 and has 4x4TB (offer says 4x2, but in 99%+ of time they deploy with 4TB) + 8 core xeon

Really? I’ve seen just as many anecdotes of 4x2 as 4x4

The cpu is also poor and not suited to game servers, but if the OP was getting acceptable game performance from a VPS it probably won’t be worse than that

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited September 2022

@james50a said:

@AXYZE said:

I had the same requirements and also went the colo route several years ago, but it doesn’t make sense any more and I’ve shifted to renting

For gigabit low latency storage you have Hetzner storage box, Hetzner auction storage servers, storage VPS from likes of servarica/Hosthatch mounted to a nearby dedi, try your luck with SYS-2, etc

For fast but higher latency storage you have rclone with low cost cloud providers: onedrive, 1fichier, google drive enterprise, Dropbox advanced, etc

And for backups you are probably best off self hosting at home

Thanked by 1servarica_hani
  • afnafn Member
    edited September 2022

@Havy said: but don't pretend renting have it's fair share of buts and ifs too.

I am not pretending anything.

I am just reminding OP of the downsides of colo and that in 9 cases out of 10, renting will end up being better, on such low budget.

@darkimmortal said: I had the same requirements and also went the colo route several years ago, but it doesn’t make sense any more and I’ve shifted to renting

@Havy and here is another person that has some experience similar to mine

Just stats, we have been there, where OP is now, and giving our perspective.

Sure OP is free to try, but I would be an a**hole if I see someone may (or may not) fall on their face and not warn them. Now how OP acts to make things profitable to them, is really not my call :)

extra (slow) port for IPMI may be add few bucks. Hardware with IPMI or borrowing KVM from DC --> extra cost. When things go wrong, they really go wrong, so 1 issue may exhaust free remote hands and increase support costs.

it is a game of probability. I have had a server with 700 days without a single support ticket, only couple restarts with major upgrades, no failures, drive replacement or anything. But that's one server, out of many servers I faced issues with. What are the chances OP will have the same luck with his server? who knows...

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • That is pretty low, you will need to up your price considerably.

• @afn said:

@Havy said: but don't pretend renting have it's fair share of buts and ifs too.

I am not pretending anything.

I am just reminding OP of the downsides of colo and that in 9 cases out of 10, renting will end up being better, on such low budget.

@darkimmortal said: I had the same requirements and also went the colo route several years ago, but it doesn’t make sense any more and I’ve shifted to renting

@Havy and here is another person that has some experience similar to mine

Just stats, we have been there, where OP is now, and giving our perspective.

Sure OP is free to try, but I would be an a**hole if I see someone may (or may not) fall on their face and not warn them. Now how OP acts to make things profitable to them, is really not my call :)

extra (slow) port for IPMI may be add few bucks. Hardware with IPMI or borrowing KVM from DC --> extra cost. When things go wrong, they really go wrong, so 1 issue may exhaust free remote hands and increase support costs.

it is a game of probability. I have had a server with 700 days without a single support ticket, only couple restarts with major upgrades, no failures, drive replacement or anything. But that's one server, out of many servers I faced issues with. What are the chances OP will have the same luck with his server? who knows...

I understand what you are saying but I am sure the OP knew enough say that he wouldn't be able to just order a $250 server off of Ebay and hope for the best. Because he been renting them and gonna build out the unit himself.

I sure he got plans (or knows he got to) for making sure all goes well by the time his build out goes to plan. Just like a data center does for you when you order the unit as a rental.

I am also almost certain that he is capable and knowing that his parts are gonna fails and he got to have plans for when they should.

Also, I am sure he is knowledge enough as with rentals that he gonna need a IPMI/KVM at some point during the lifecycle of the server. Just like with a rental.

I am also almost certain he also need to account for any power needs' (shut down, power cycling, etc).

Thanked by 1james50a
  • Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

Hey!
    As @Not_Oles has mentioned
    Our colo starts at $35/month in Dallas, TX and includes the following.
    1U Colocation
    1amp @ 120V (upgradable in configuration)
    10TB Bandwidth on a 1Gbps port
    PATH.net DDoS protection 1Tbps+
    IPv4 /29 (5 usable IPs) + IPv6 /64
    Dallas, TX.
    We can even help you find the perfect hardware.
    Feel free to reach out if interested.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • afnafn Member
    edited September 2022

@Havy said: I understand what you are saying but I am sure the OP knew enough say that he wouldn't be able to just order a $250 server off of Ebay and hope for the best. Because he been renting them and gonna build out the unit himself.

I sure he got plans

I am also almost certain
    Also, I am sure he

I am also almost certain he

Dafuq, you just wrote an entire long reply using the 3rd person to assert stuff about person that is not you (and that you possibly don't even know?)... Can you at least let him/her speak for himself/herself?

Where do you get this certainty from? You have a magic crystal ball or something? (genuine question, really, if you have magical crystal ball, let me know please :smile: )

@james50a said: Potentially considering moving away from renting multiple vps's.

Moving from VPS, they never said moving from dedis.

If he he was this experienced and aware of every single shit, he wouldn't be ask this question tbh.

I might sure as hell shut up, and assume he knows his stuff. No problem. But what is the point of opening public threads if we are to assume every single thing is known to op and not comment or offer suggestions?

I am also certain he knows the number of atoms in the universe. (why the hell not, since we are asserting things about him/her. )

edited September 2022

@afn said:

@Havy said: I understand what you are saying but I am sure the OP knew enough say that he wouldn't be able to just order a $250 server off of Ebay and hope for the best. Because he been renting them and gonna build out the unit himself.

I sure he got plans

I am also almost certain
    Also, I am sure he

Dafuq, you just wrote an entire long reply using the 3rd person to assert stuff about person that is not you (and that you possibly don't even know?)... Can you at least let him/her speak for himself/herself?

Where do you get this certainty from? You have a magic crystal ball or something? (genuine question, really, if you have magical crystal ball, let me know please :smile: )

@james50a said: Potentially considering moving away from renting multiple vps's.

If he he was this experienced and aware of every single shit, he wouldn't be ask this question tbh.

I might sure as hell shut up, and assume he knows his stuff. No problem. But what is the point of opening public threads if we are to assume every single thing is known to op and not comment or offer suggestions?

I am also certain he knows the number of atoms in the universe. (why the hell not, since we are asserting things about him/her. )

I mean pretty much everything he mentioned I did say somewhere in this thread Soo not really crystal ball on anythin but ok xD. I do know I need ipmi, that shit breaks sometimes and as mentioned In a sample config I'm considering with ryzen it aint some 250 special off ebay.
    Appreciate all the feedback from everyone regardless though.

Thanked by 1afn
  • oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

We offer 1U colocation for 34/mo for the first 12months. Plus 50/setup fee.
    https://oplink.net/houston-colocation/

• @james50a said:

@afn said:

I sure he got plans

I am also almost certain
    Also, I am sure he

I mean pretty much everything he mentioned I did say somewhere in this thread Soo not really crystal ball on anythin but ok xD. I do know I need ipmi, that shit breaks sometimes and as mentioned In a sample config I'm considering with ryzen it aint some 250 special off ebay.
    Appreciate all the feedback from everyone regardless though.

Thank you for clarifying these matters to everyone so it made sure they would understand where I was getting at. I really appreciate that of you. :)