Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIP Hubic - who's a good substitute?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RIP Hubic - who's a good substitute?

ColonelPanicColonelPanic Member
edited September 2022 in Help

I know Hubic hasn't accepted signups for years, but they kept servicing existing customers with $5 for 5Tb until a few months ago. Access to backups formally ends tomorrow, and I was delighted to be able to download what I needed at a sustained 20M/sec.

I'm now in search of my next victim, I mean provider. I've got a local server running open media vault on a 4 drive array, but need offsite too.

Initially I'm wondering if a MS 365 family sub for $99 might be the best bang for the buck? Looks like I can have 6 distinct 1Tb accounts, and I think I can map each of those as a network drive.

I love Backblaze for web backups, but their personal backup solution is dog crap. 1fichier seems pretty inflexible and unsuited to cloud backup. Anybody recommend a solution for $2/Tb/mo or similar?

Comments

• Does the location matter?

I would recommend servarica.com or KS-1

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2022

Get a Gsuite account. Purchase the starter plan and then upgrade to the enterprise standard plan via the dashboard. It's $20/month for the Gsuite Enterprise plan with unlimited storage, I'm currently using around 225TB across 2 Gsuite accounts.

If you want to make it a little cheaper, set your country to Turkey at checkout (no need for a VPN) and get billed in Turkish currency which makes the Gsuite Enterprise plan only $8/month!

You can use Rclone to mount it. I'm able to push over 1 Gbps to Google Drive from pretty much anywhere in the world (with multiple transfers). Just note that there's a 750GB/day upload limit and 10TB/day download limit. These limits can be bypassed by adding multiple free Google accounts to a shared drive.

• _cece_cece Member
    edited September 2022

@Advin
    does the unlimited gsuite account still exists? I was thinking it was cancelled and only old accounts which had over 5tb were grandfathered to unlimited?

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited September 2022

@ColonelPanic said:
    1fichier seems pretty inflexible and unsuited to cloud backup.

Works great for me with rclone. Cheapest storage in the industry other than abusing Google Drive enterprise or Dropbox advanced

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • 1fichier seems pretty inflexible and unsuited to cloud backup.

Works great for me with rclone. Cheapest storage in the industry other than abusing Google Drive enterprise or Dropbox advanced

You should note however that 1fichier is pretty unreliable, and if any of you find pulsed media rude or aggressive, or criticizes hostslick , for saying "I don't want to deal with this customer, we sent him a refund" then believe me, 1fichier is even 10x worse they will literally say and I quote "no refund, we can't help you, each email costs time and money" And if you ever overpay, they will refuse to refund you or count it as credit. They will never acknowledge when the problem is on their side.

They are dirt cheap for a a reason. That's the lowest of the lowest of the low tier. (as humans and as a provider).

It is ok to use them, but just know what you are getting yourself into and tailor your expectations. 2TB for 22€/year, roughly 2€ per month 1€/TB per month. Hard to match, except on rare offers with Hosthatch, pulsed media, netdynamics and some providers here from time to time.

Also when they send you emails like "over quota, excess data will be removed within 14 days" do not trust that email, as they may/will remove before the 14 days.

Also

• So I've setup more GSuite accounts than I care to remember, but never had Enterprise. Can anyone confirm or refute the unlimited storage, and that a basic user can upgrade to enterprise?

I'm seeing the following on the T&Cs on the website:
    ** Google Workspace provides flexible pooled storage per user that is shared across the organization. Enterprise plan customers have 5 TB of pooled storage per user and can request additional storage if needed by contacting Google Support.

Regardless, the Turkish option might swing this approach for me. 5Tb for $8 is still a sweet deal.

• @ColonelPanic said:
    So I've setup more GSuite accounts than I care to remember, but never had Enterprise. Can anyone confirm or refute the unlimited storage, and that a basic user can upgrade to enterprise?

** Google Workspace provides flexible pooled storage per user that is shared across the organization. Enterprise plan customers have 5 TB of pooled storage per user and can request additional storage if needed by contacting Google Support.

Regardless, the Turkish option might swing this approach for me. 5Tb for $8 is still a sweet deal.

Yes it's very confirmed, you can also use service accounts to bypass the upload limit. But please encrypt your backups otherwise Google likes to peek into your garden.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2022

@ColonelPanic said:
    So I've setup more GSuite accounts than I care to remember, but never had Enterprise. Can anyone confirm or refute the unlimited storage, and that a basic user can upgrade to enterprise?

Those terms have not been enforced in the almost 4+ years these plans have been in existence, but they might stop in the future, all depends on Google.

But yes, even 5TB for $8/month would still be an extremely good deal, and you can also use the Google ecosystem if you wish (i.e. email, photos, etc).

• I created service accounts on an enterprise account and was banned before I finished uploading data. Best part is they continued to bill my credit card monthly but I couldn't login into cancel. Had to take it up with credit card company.

Thanked by 1itoshikimonset
  • ColonelPanicColonelPanic Member
    edited September 2022

@zorker said:
    I created service accounts on an enterprise account and was banned before I finished uploading data. Best part is they continued to bill my credit card monthly but I couldn't login into cancel. Had to take it up with credit card company.

That's my major beef with Google - customer service is fine for paying members in good standing, but it's impossible to get support if you are deemed to have broken T&Cs or are not paying them for a service. I guess most internet giants are the same.

@Advin - I hope you get to an exabyte of storage!

• @ColonelPanic said:

I've seen Workspace being limited to 5TB/acc for new accounts, as well as accounts that is utilizing less then 5TB/acc combined lately. They have a trial period so it's worth a try, but I think the unlimited days are going over

• @Advin said:
    Get a Gsuite account. Purchase the starter plan and then upgrade to the enterprise standard plan via the dashboard. It's $20/month for the Gsuite Enterprise plan with unlimited storage, I'm currently using around 225TB across 2 Gsuite accounts.

If you want to make it a little cheaper, set your country to Turkey at checkout (no need for a VPN) and get billed in Turkish currency which makes the Gsuite Enterprise plan only $8/month!

You can use Rclone to mount it. I'm able to push over 1 Gbps to Google Drive from pretty much anywhere in the world (with multiple transfers). Just note that there's a 750GB/day upload limit and 10TB/day download limit. These limits can be bypassed by adding multiple free Google accounts to a shared drive.

How do you change the country? do you have to do it when you sign up for the Starter plan, or you can do it when you do the switch / upgrade? Just went through the process, the starter was with US as country, but seems like I can't change the country anymore. Any ideas? thanks

• try using hetzner storage box. currently im moving from gsuite to hetzner storage box.
    it cheap.

• They got Shadow (https://shadow.tech/) now. previous hubic users will get an invite for a free account (Free plan: 20 GB).

• Google? Hell NO!

Grab a storage box from Servarica, or from Hetzner, or from HostHatch (if they have some offer). But whatever you do stay away from Google if you value your privacy and freedom. Don't forget Black Friday also comes on 25th of November, if you can wait.

• @ColonelPanic said:

over 700tb here with enterprise and no problem at all

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Get a slab? from BuyVM

• @yorch said:

@Advin said:

How do you change the country? do you have to do it when you sign up for the Starter plan, or you can do it when you do the switch / upgrade? Just went through the process, the starter was with US as country, but seems like I can't change the country anymore. Any ideas? thanks

You can't. You need a new account

• @BlaZe said:
    Get a slab? from BuyVM

Chance would be a fine thing - I gave up after 2 months waiting for a slab in Luxembourg and left my server lapse.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@ColonelPanic said:

@BlaZe said:
    Get a slab? from BuyVM

Chance would be a fine thing - I gave up after 2 months waiting for a slab in Luxembourg and left my server lapse.

Slabs on Tuesday :)

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@ColonelPanic said:

@BlaZe said:
    Get a slab? from BuyVM

Slabs on Tuesday :)

Francisco

Cool - hope my VPS hasn't been deleted by then!