Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Network issues intel I219-V and Windows server 2022
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Network issues intel I219-V and Windows server 2022

afnafn Member

Hi

I am running into an issue with a windows server installation.

The server has the following nic: intel I219-V, I migrated to this server by cloning windows from another similar server that only had 1 difference an intel i219-lm, the rest (cpu, etc) is the same. It doesn't connect to the internet

I tried installing drivers (via device manager>update>browse from local pc) from Intel's website: but I get "windows was unable to install your Ethernet controller".

My provider mounted a USB with drivers that are supposed to work, still I get the same error message.
The network seems to work fine in rescue mode...

Any suggestions? Thanks

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]

Comments

• velociraptorvelociraptor Member
    edited September 2022

Is this a Hetzner server by any chance? Same problem, it seems Intel does not supply correct drivers for it. I tried Windows Server 2019, 2022 and Windows 11 and none of them are able to find drivers automatically.

I found this solution (drivers are in the ZIP file) - https://easyupload.io/e903b6

Ethernet/Network Drivers - Intel NIC I219V - Cached to C:\NDIS68
    Ethernet Controller -> Update Driver
    Browse on my computer for driver software -> Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer
    Select 'Network Adapter'
    Click 'Have Disk' and navigate to C:\NDIS68
    Scroll down and find 'Intel Ethernet Connection I219-LM'`

This solution was found from this blog post. Not a great solution but it will install drivers and enable the network interface.

Hetzner did suggest you can have a different NIC installed (at an additional cost) to resolve the driver problem.

To access these drivers from the server, I made a dummy ISO which could be mounted via the Hetzner IPMI/KVM and then I just copied them onto the server that way.

If anyone knows of a better solution please let me know also. It is a shame the new EX line have this issue as it is otherwise a great server.

• You can download drivers from Intel: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15084/intel-ethernet-adapter-complete-driver-pack.html
    It includes W2022 drivers. Worked fine for me

• Update driver
    • Select Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer and click Next.
    • Select the proper driver
    • Select Network adapters and click Next.
    • Click Have Disk…
    • Select drivers you previously downloaded and click OK. Once you extract your file, you need to navigate to *\PRO1000\Winx64\W2022\
    • Select Intel(R) l210 Gigabit Network Connection and click Next.
  • afnafn Member
    edited September 2022

@velociraptor Thanks for the link! Appreciate it. The thing is, in my case I initially ordered an i219-LM not a V one...

@masteri said: You can download drivers from Intel: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15084/intel-ethernet-adapter-complete-driver-pack.html
    It includes W2022 drivers. Worked fine for me

Thanks for your reply, I did actually try these but I got the error message you see in my post...

• To give credit when it is due, and despite having faced a lot of issues and incompetence with Hetzner (mainly administrative).

I am gonna have to admit they handled this one like a pro.

First day was a bit unproductive, I explained I have network issues, they suggested some drivers, but they did not work.

So I explained I ordered a server with ..19-LM.

but lspci showed : I219-V, so we have been trying both LM and V drivers, and I assumed we're simply using wrong drivers... nothing worked.

Second day, they suggested it is a bios issue and bios, they flashed the bios and the card is now detected as it should be, (I219-LM).