Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is anyone familiar with coLinux?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is anyone familiar with coLinux?

coLinux is 32bit userspace VM that I can run and install on a 32bit Windows system quite easily, 2000, XP and Windows 7,but it doesn't seem to install on 64bit Windows. As far as I understand only the the linux.sys, a 32bit system which it uses to access the Windows layer.

Are there some technical reasons why a 32bit driver can't work on a Windows 64bit system or am I doing something wrong somewhere?

Comments

• skaska Member
    edited December 2013

Afaik, the problem lies within the difference in the 64-bit data models. However, last time I checked they were looking for someone (paid) to develop a port. Maybe someone got his hands on it. I stopped looking and switched to cygwin and Virtualbox for full-virtualisation.

• @ska said:
    Afaik, the problem lies within the difference in the 64-bit data models. However, last time I checked they were looking for someone (paid) to develop a port. Maybe someone got his hands on it. I stopped looking and switched to cygwin and Virtualbox for full-virtualisation.

I am not so much interested in a 64bit version and have read the info behind its delay or non existence, but in understanding why the technical reasons why the 32 bit system cannot work on a 64bit system. Many programs do, even some 16bit programs run on Windows 64 bit

• same reason why you can't install 32bit drivers on a 64bit system

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

hve you tried to turn off signed drvers enforcement?

• I've looked into it. Seems development has stalled.

The main reason appears to be the huge difference between the 32 bit memory pointers which coLinux is programed in and the 64 bit on modern computers. The system would have to convert between the two pointers or be re-coded.

There is also that issue where cygwin still does not have full 64 bit support (until recently).

• I was using coLinux to easily get working linux on pc where I also have to used windows. Unfortunately it doesn't work on 64bit windows yet. It was outperforming virtulizations like virtualbox, which I'm using now.

• For a couple of weeks (stopped when I reimaged) I was running VMware in the background 100% of the time. Then when I wanted to use Linux program I could A) SSH into the Linux at localhost, or B) use Vmware's Unity mode. I saw no performance issues, and Vmware was running under 80MB in idle.

• coLinux is way faster and less resource intensive than VMWare and VirtualBox. Where VirtualBox all ways gave memory allocation errors coLinux worked okay. The other advantage is that it can be packaged into a regular Windows installer and run in one go.

There is no need to install and run Virtualbox or VMWare then add your VM after.

Thanked by 1asf
  • VirtualBox is years behind VMware. I've never had issues with VMware. If any one is running < Windows 8 there is always the Windows Services for UNIX by Microsoft.

• can privider use colinux to sell vps?

• @ynzheng said:
    can privider use colinux to sell vps?

That might be impractical. The provider would find it cheaper to sell Windows and Linux separately. Plus with the ability to only use 4GB of ram efficiently when running 32 bit Windows would make any large scale servers impossible.

• @ynzheng said:
    can privider use colinux to sell vps?

I wouldn't consider it for selling VPSs.

What I like about is its economical nature on Windows systems. I am so used to it now that I would probably keep a Windows system around just to run Linux VMs on it. The only issue is that it works only on 32bit Windows and the maximum RAM for each VM is 1GB.

Of course you could probably have a number of the running that would exceed the physical RAM on the Windows system, like overselling.