Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low End Talk Jitsi Videochat Channel?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low End Talk Jitsi Videochat Channel?

Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider
edited September 2022 in General

Good morning!

Last time I used Jitsi was a couple years ago. Back then I set up Jitsi on one of my servers. My then co-admin used that Jitsi server to teach his university classes.

Nowadays, there is Jitsi Meet, which is a free Jitsi server. So, to create a Jitsi videochat channel, all you have to do is visit Jitsi Meet and enter the name for your channel. Jitsi Meet then gives you a link which you can pass on to those invited to your channel.

Participating in Jitsi videochat also is super simple. Just click the link provided by Jitsi Meet. Then click the blue "Launch in Web" button. "Launch in Web" is the last of the three blue buttons, on the bottom. No need to install anything, even if you are invited to install the Jitsi App. Jitsi seems to work on both desktop/laptop and on phones and tablets.

After launching Jitsi in your web browser, you might be asked for permissions so that the browser can use the camera and micriphone.

My family used Jitsi a few days ago to celebrate a birthday. Jitsi worked well enough that we got the idea to use it again. Then, this morning, I thought maybe some of us here could videochat once in awhile.

I am neither an expert on videochat nor on Jitsi. Without starting a war, please let me mention Jitsi's popularity in the free software world. The Free Software Foundation operates their own Jitsi server. However, one must be an Associate Member of the FSF to use their Jitsi page. Unlike the FSF, https://meet.jit.si doesn't require a membership.

It's clear from reading the FSF page that there might be some encryption issues when more than two people are participating in a single Jitsi meeting channel. Moreover, the code linked from the FSF page doesn't seem to have had any updates in the last two years. Also, at some point more or less recently, Jitsi got acquired by / merged into / picked up by / something-like-that a company named 8x8. So, at the present moment, I'm unclear on the exact present status of how Jitsi might differ from other vidochat options.

I made a videochat channel for Low End Talk. Our channel is at https://meet.jit.si/LowEndTalk. Hehe. :)

I will try to check in on our channel around 13:37 this afternoon, Mountain Standard Time, UTC -07.00. That's about two hours and a half from now.

Best wishes!

Tom

Thanked by 2Arkas analog

Comments

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

Hi again! I'm now on the channel at https://meet.jit.si/LowEndTalk. I will wait 10 minutes in case anybody wants to videochat. Best! Tom

I saw a Z for a second! Whoa! I'm reading HN while I'm waiting. . . .

Looks like Bash 5.2 is out. Only a moment more. . . . :)

Okay. Good try! Best wishes! Should we try again?

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@Not_Oles said: Should we try again?

Yes! I couldn't make it in time because I had to go out to eat.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

Will set up another session soon!

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

Hi @FatGrizzly! I just checked into the channel, but you were gone. :) Maybe next time! :)

• ServerServer Member
    edited September 2022

I entered the room and I'm the only person. :'(

The idea of video chat channel is great as it is more interactive. However, it may be challenging to co-ordinate since we are all from different time zones.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • Betteridge's Law of Headlines applies.

Thanked by 2bdl dahartigan

Hi @Server! Thanks for trying! I can join right now because we're just about to eat dinner. See you soon! :)

• liujialiujia Member
    edited September 2022

Oh...thanks let me know about Jitsi meeting. I am entering to hear your 文言文.

Left about 15 minutes.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

Maybe instead of random joining and leaving, we can all decide on a time and we can all tune in to have some lowend talks

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

Probably I can be on the Jitsi channel on Saturday October 1 at 8:30 pm UTC.

Does that time work for anybody? 🙂

• ArkasArkas Moderator

anyone in the mood to join now?

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

Hey @Arkas! Give me a minute and I will be there!

• ArkasArkas Moderator

ok, logging in!

I'm there now.

Hey @devp Thanks for joining the channel! Nice to meet you! :)

Hey @yoursunny! Thanks for the videochat! Great to meet you by video! :)

'm off the channel now, but Saturday is still planned. Yaaay! :)

edited October 2022

@Not_Oles said:
    Probably I can be on the Jitsi channel on Saturday October 1 at 8:30 pm UTC.

Does that time work for anybody? 🙂

Looking forward to seeing some of you guys in about half an hour from now. The channel link is https://meet.jit.si/LowEndTalk.

See you soon!

Tom

Hi! I'm on the channel!

Thanked by 1yoursunny

@yoursunny I looked at a different window for a moment. I think I missed you. Sorry! :)

Hi LET!

@yoursunny and I had fun talking quite awhile! We missed having more of you guys!

@yoursunny suggested offering a prize 💲 to a random winner among our LET Jitsi channel participants. If you participate in the Low End Talk Jitsi channel during this month of October, you become eligible for the prize. We haven't decided what the prize will be. Maybe you can help us decide. :)

Topics from today's conversation included:

So, see you next time! Please watch this thread for an announcement, or, speak up if you want to propose a time that works especially well for you. Thanks @yoursunny! Thanks LET!

• devpdevp Member
    edited October 2022

@Not_Oles said: @yoursunny suggested offering a prize 💲 to a random winner among our LET Jitsi channel participants.

LET members have years of expereince in the industry.
    They join to put their resources for the better.

LET goodies in the form of arranging meal ( meetings are eventually an hour long ) and merchandise sounds more sensible approach towards a growth.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited October 2022

@devp said:

@Not_Oles said: @yoursunny suggested offering a prize 💲 to a random winner among our LET Jitsi channel participants.

LET members have years of expereince in the industry.
    They join to put their resources for the better.

LET goodies in the form of arranging meal ( meetings are eventually an hour long ) and merchandise sounds more sensible approach towards a growth.

Depends on who you're talking to.

"Years of experience of setting up a OpenVZ container as a VPN"... yeah... sure.

"Years of experience running a hypervisor or talking about SDN" Ok now that gets a bit more interesting.

I don't think a prize is necessary. The real incentive should be the conversation itself. Maybe organize a schedule where someone can come in and present an interesting topic. It seems like you guys already talked a bit about some topics. For example, FABRIC sounds interesting, especially since I helped build one of the clusters in MGHPCC (specifically, I had IT handle it but I ended up connecting the funding agency with the org). Having someone actually present on it might be interesting/useful too and then leaving some time for discussion.

Basically a mini-seminar on it. Because then what else is the purpose behind getting on jiti?

• @HalfEatenPie said: The real incentive should be the conversation itself. Maybe organize a schedule where someone can come in and present an interesting topic.

@HalfEatenPie said: Basically a mini-seminar on it.

Discussions are already happening at LET and are good resource.
    In person meetings get connected at an intrinsic.

Suggestion is to do tech meetups in street style talks.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles