Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 x E5-2620 v4, 32 GB ECC RAM, 500 GB SSD, 1 x IPv4, IPv6/48, 1 Gbps, GreenHouse AMS, HostSailor - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

2 x E5-2620 v4, 32 GB ECC RAM, 500 GB SSD, 1 x IPv4, IPv6/48, 1 Gbps, GreenHouse AMS, HostSailor

2»

Comments

• Otus9051Otus9051 Member
    edited October 2022

@Not_Oles said: You can actually check the public keys of any user on github with the following URL

https://api.github.com/users/<user>/keys

Well this is news to me.
    Anyways, I can SSH into it just fine. Also it has IPv6, nice! I can check my phone's up status from here lol.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
    edited October 2022

BTW, I noticed ccache is not installed. ccache would help.
    Its sort of necessary for my build

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@Otus9051 said:
    BTW, I noticed ccache is not installed. ccache would help.
    Its sort of necessary for my build

Will take a look. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Hi @Otus9051!

ccache is installed in version 3.7.7-1el7, which is the version yum wanted to install on our CentOS 7.

The current version seems to be 4.6.3.

Probably you have seen:

If you or anybody else is interested, a transcript of the install is available at https://metalvps.com/CentOS-ccache-install-transcript.html

Maybe you are ready to start your compiling adventure? 🤩 Please let me know if you need anything more.

We have 32 cores. If convenient, I would be interested to know how long your compile takes with and without ccache and also how many cores are used.

[root@dedi92911 ~]# nproc
    [root@dedi92911 ~]# 

Best!

Tom

edited October 2022

@Not_Oles said: I would be interested to know how long your compile takes with and without ccache and also how many cores are used.

I normally use 256 Jobs on 12 Cores and the build time is ~10mins. As this is 32 Cores, lets see how fast that goes. Oh, and also, my script is made to run with ccache optimization and I am too lazy to rewrite the script. Haha.

BTW, I forgot, Python3 is needed (and the executable should be named python3)

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@Otus9051 said: BTW, I forgot, Python3 is needed (and the executable should be named python3)

Okay, will add python3. . . . :)

Thanks for the build time info. Yes, the difference will be interesting.

@Otus9051 said: I normally use 256 Jobs on 12 Cores

When you say 256 jobs, are you talking about the -j option with make?

Thanks!

edited October 2022

Okay, python3 seems to have been installed.

[root@dedi92911 ~]# which python3
    /usr/bin/python3
    [root@dedi92911 ~]# python3
    Python 3.6.8 (default, Nov 16 2020, 16:55:22) 
    [GCC 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-44)] on linux
    Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
    >>> 

A transcript of the install is at https://metalvps.com/CentOS-python3-install-transcript.html

Anything else? :) Anyone else? :)

• @Otus9051 said:

@Not_Oles said: I would be interested to know how long your compile takes with and without ccache and also how many cores are used.

I normally use 256 Jobs on 12 Cores and the build time is ~10mins. As this is 32 Cores, lets see how fast that goes. Oh, and also, my script is made to run with ccache optimization and I am too lazy to rewrite the script. Haha.

Isn't -j recommended to be twice the CPU cores?

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@TimboJones said: Isn't -j recommended to be twice the CPU cores?

That's what I've always heard. Sometimes people say the number of threads plus 1.

I don't know a definitive source for how to determine the correct number of jobs. Within the section on the -j option, the make(1) manpage doesn't seem to explain how to determine what the number of jobs should be. In informal testing I have seen the compile time increase with the -j option is set for more than the number of threads plus 1.

@Not_Oles said: Sometimes people say the number of threads plus 1.

Conceivably the plus 1 could increase the likelihood that there is a job ready to run as soon as a core is available to take it? Maybe having more than one job waiting slows things down because the queue needs to be managed?

• @TimboJones said:

@Otus9051 said:

It is, but I rarely do that and just mash in numbers that I want and it seems to work fast and I am ok with that.
    But there are some cases where the machine OOMs so I lower the job count to something like 32 or 64. I never go below that.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

Hey Guys! I want to reinstall the server with FreeBSD. Has anybody tried the depenguin.me script? In the unlikely event that anybody has important files on the server, please copy them elsewhere asap. Apologies for any inconvenience. Thanks! Best wishes! Tom

• @Otus9051 said:

@TimboJones said:

@Otus9051 said:

It is, but I rarely do that and just mash in numbers that I want and it seems to work fast and I am ok with that.
    But there are some cases where the machine OOMs so I lower the job count to something like 32 or 64. I never go below that.

That's why it's generally scripted to be twice the cpu cores in most projects and it's optimal without ever crashing or ever needing to be changed. (Hint).

• @Not_Oles said:
    @Otus9051 Please try ssh [email protected]

@brejski No keys in your Github. :)

Probably a lot of stuff is gonna need to be installed in order for you guys to do what you want. Let me see if I can figure out a few things. @letrocks Do you want anything?

No I don't need anything but I can't login anymore:
    [email protected]: Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic).

Let me know if my trial is over :)

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@let_rocks said:

@Not_Oles said:

Probably a lot of stuff is gonna need to be installed in order for you guys to do what you want. Let me see if I can figure out a few things. @letrocks Do you want anything?

"MetalVPS deletes user accounts"

Thanked by 1miu
  • miumiu Member

@Not_Oles said:

Hello Tom, how it is going? :)

edited October 2022

@let_rocks said: No I don't need anything but I can't login anymore:

Let me know if my trial is over

May I please know what you want to do on the server? Thanks! :)

• @let_rocks said:

@Not_Oles said:

@let_rocks said:

@Not_Oles said:

same here

@yoursunny said: "MetalVPS deletes user accounts"

Not yet deleted. Merely adjusted ssh. Might be deleted soon. Maybe to try https://depenguin.me.

@Otus9051 said: same here

What's with the logins from all over the place? What's with your Github saying that you are a middle school student? Can you please help me understand how I can know that you @Otus9051 and @let_rocks are different people?

@miu said:

@Not_Oles said:

Hello Tom, how it is going? :)

Hi @miu! Nice to hear from you! Everything is going great! Best wishes as always! Tom

Thanked by 1miu

@Not_Oles said:
    Hey Guys! I want to reinstall the server with FreeBSD. Has anybody tried the depenguin.me script? In the unlikely event that anybody has important files on the server, please copy them elsewhere asap. Apologies for any inconvenience. Thanks! Best wishes! Tom

What I said above might bear repeating. I waited awhile after I said this, but after nobody logged in during the following 24 hours I imagined it might be okay to make an ssh adjustment. I probably will wait a little while longer prior to making additional adjustments.

@yoursunny said: "MetalVPS deletes user accounts"

Maybe this is a lowend.lol project and not a MetalVPS project?

By the way, how do you know that anything has been deleted?

What do you think about Netlink being added to FreeBSD?

Best wishes and kindest regards!

• let_rockslet_rocks Member
    edited October 2022

@Not_Oles said:

@Not_Oles said:

What I said above might bear repeating. I waited awhile after I said this, but after nobody logged in during the following 24 hours I imagined it might be okay to make an ssh adjustment. I probably will wait a little while longer prior to making additional adjustments.

I see the reinstall announcement now, my apologies. Now I understand why my login did not work. I don't really expect anything since you provide access for free. So just thank you for that.

Maybe for next time mention the people that have access using an @ so they get a forum notification?

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @Not_Oles said:

@Otus9051 said: same here

What's with the logins from all over the place? What's with your Github saying that you are a middle school student? Can you please help me understand how I can know that you @Otus9051 and @let_rocks are different people?

Logins from all over the place? Do you mean my dynamic IPs? And I might also have tried once or twice from my mobile data. I am a middle schooler, said that many times on this forum.

Hi Guys!

Thanks to @HostSailor I have this nice server in Amsterdam to review for Low End Box.

As I mentioned above, the server is on its way from its original CentOS 7 install toward a FreeBSD installation. It has paused, momentarily, at Debian 10.

If you want to share this server for awhile, maybe including root and control panel access, please let me know by posting here in this thread or by PM.

Free. No charge. Just for fun.

Best wishes and kindest regards!

Tom