Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NexusBytes: to be, or not to be, that is the question. Review after a year of use
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NexusBytes: to be, or not to be, that is the question. Review after a year of use

dusstdusst Member
edited September 2022 in Reviews

NB. All below is only my personal opinion =)

The TL;DR version:

You can still use NB services if you are a lucky guy or you are ready to have about 90% uptime in some months and you of course have a hot backup.
NexusBytes' price for value is competitive in London still, but it's not a thuth for other locations.
Their support "team" still requires intensive care. I hope the care will be provided, as I'm going to continue using of their London-based vps, but olny on per-month basis.

The full version:

About a year ago here on LET was a promo of NB with 50% "credit-back" for new clients. There was a lot of good comments about NB also. So I decided to buy their Ryzen VPS-8G with storage extension options in London for a year, In a month after that, I got VPS-4G with HDD-option in Amsterdam to spend received credit-back.

Here is a rating of these 2 services and NexusBytes support after a year of cooperation:

1. London-based VPS with storage extensions: 5/5

VPS was 100% uptime with the same performance for the whole period. So no need in support, except setup-time

2. Amsterdam-based VPS with storage extension: 3/5

There were 2 20-hours downtimes day after day in December 2021 without any data loss (i got SLA credits for 1 month) and at least 3 days downtime in August 2022 with full data loss (i got credits for that "inconvinience" for 1 month).

After the data loss I offered Jord to credit me 2-month pro-rata (in place of 1 month credit he provided for "inconvinience") and to forget about that server at all as i don't need it after the 3rd incident, But Jord insisted on the clean VPS setup. In result NB set a new VPS today (on the 29th day after the crash), and of course without storage extensions (but who cares :) - client needs to remind), and only after i asked for SLA credits for the next month-period again :). So I shut down that box to save european electricity because the winter is coming.

The server was 100% uptime othertime with good perfomance, but the routing from Europe was not competitive

3. Support: 2/5

To my happiness all my troubles were happened in periods when Jay was still trying to do something himself and when Jord is trying. But the support was not pro-active and fast in both periods and in case of all troubles. A client should always wait-repeat-remind to get a result

In result I decided to extend the contract for London VPS till the next incident but only on per-month basis and asked Jord to change the billing without any discounts and without resizing of SSD. But instead of geting the bill for the server with a relevant number of SSD-extenstion options (that is are the standard options of NB) and without per-year discounts I got an answer that it is impossible :confused: .

That's why I had to order a new near-the-same box with SSD- and HDD-extension options in London yesterday and got the box today (after the remind-ticket of course and without extensions).

But I'm still waiting for SSD and HDD options and I hope that billing department (as technical support told me the billing department is responsive for that) in a form of @jord or @seriesn will help me with that in the next days (before my previous per-year contract ends)

All after all I'm still not sure either NexusBytes is full of clients (as they can't change my bills upward), either they don't need clients and they are very polite (as Jord said he was sorry, when I had thought about leaving NB at all). What do you think?

Also I'm interested who is still a NB's client here and who goes to continue using their services and why? - maybe it will help NexusBytes somehow.

PS. If you know a competitive with NB service in London (precisely) please let me know =)

Thanked by 1jureve
Your wish/forecast
  1. NexusBytes?58 votes
    1. To be
      17.24%
    2. Not to be
      82.76%

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

NexusByte is a lost case, Tickets get closed without a reply.

Thanked by 3adly JasonM Ticaga
  • I left NB, deadpool

Thanked by 1Ticaga
  • add_iTadd_iT Member
    edited September 2022

@dusst said: PS. If you know a competitive with NB service in London (precisely) please let me know =)

The only (thing) london based vps within Lowend price in my mind is InceptionHosting / Clouvider

Or maybe any other provider like NB that using zare with Lowend price ?

Thanked by 1dusst
  • @add_iT said:

i'm also trying kuroit.com - but it's another story ;)

• cybertechcybertech Member
    edited September 2022

deadpoolbytes. their prices are not lowend enough to warrant support levels lower than hosthatch.

if the owner is sick in anyway, sell it close it just dont act like it's BAU.

Thanked by 2Ticaga Liso
  • @dusst said:

@add_iT said:

i'm also trying kuroit.com - but it's another story ;)

Maybe many option if you want UK VPS besides London

Like greencloud and speedypage

I heard they have possitive review here

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@Neoon said:

If I think what I think, I think, I replied.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited September 2022

@dusst said:
    Also I'm interested who is still a NB's client here and who goes to continue using their services and why? - maybe it will help NexusBytes somehow.

I am, with multiple VPS (incl. in NL). And all of them are payed front up for a year.

Why?

Because while @seriesn brought NexusBytes into a severe crisis and I in fact doubted that they could continue to operate and even to exist, things changed when @Jord entered the game.
    Since Jord is largely in charge of operations my VPSs are running fine and I experienced no more problems so far. So when I say that I trust in Jord I have good reasons to do so.

Another plus IMO is that as a customer one seems to not loose financially. If NB f_cks up they make sure that the customer is properly compensated (that's at least my experience, YMMV).

The BIG, BIG, FAT minus is their support (except Jord). NB's support team IMO is easily among the worst I've ever experienced. In fact I usually get the impression that they don't want to be disturbed by customers problems and just play some weird kind of formalistic game and bouncing off requests.

I've not yet decided whether I will renew when the time to make that decision comes but I guess that unless I see very considerable improvements in their support (as in "you lazy suckers either very quickly improve a lot or you'll have to look for a new job!") I might not stay. I know that Jord does his best and I appreciate that a lot but sorry, NB has become too large to be sailed single-handedly.

Thanked by 1dusst
  • @jsg said:

@dusst said:

I am, with multiple VPS (incl. in NL). And all of them are payed front up for a year.

Why?

Because while @seriesn brought NexusBytes into a severe crisis and I in fact doubted that they could continue to operate and even to exist, things changed when @Jord entered the game.
    Since Jord is largely in charge of operations my VPSs are running fine and I experienced no more problems so far. So when I say that I trust in Jord I have good reasons to do so.

Another plus IMO is that as a customer one seems to not loose financially. If NB f_cks up they make sure that the customer is properly compensated (that's at least my experience, YMMV).

The BIG, BIG, FAT minus is their support (except Jord). NB's support team IMO is easily among the worst I've ever experienced. In fact I usually get the impression that they don't want to be disturbed by customers problems and just play some weird kind of formalistic game and bouncing off requests.

I've not yet decided whether I will renew when the time to make that decision comes but I guess that unless I see very considerable improvements in their support (as in "you lazy suckers either very quickly improve a lot or you'll have to look for a new job!") I might not stay. I know that Jord does his best and I appreciate that a lot but sorry, NB has become too large to be sailed single-handedly.

@jsg,
    Current state, for what use case would you feel comfortable recommending NexusBytes? Expedient customer service is a staple for production services IMHO.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@rogerwilco said:
    @jsg,
    Current state, for what use case would you feel comfortable recommending NexusBytes? Expedient customer service is a staple for production services IMHO.

Difficult to answer. I'd put it like this: currently I wouldn't recommend NexusBytes for any use case. For me personally (and possibly some others) it's OK because of my relatively long experience with them and the fact that I need their support only rarely along with the fact that once an NB VPS runs it tends to run for a long time without any problems. Plus I happen to trust that @Jord would be there to help in case there was a problem.

But currently I wouldn't recommend NB for any production or otherwise critical use case.

Put differently: Would I buy from NB as a new customer? Nope. Do I stay with NB, considering my experience with them and Jord as an interim operations manager? Yes. But I would understand if others came to a different conclusion.

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited September 2022

@sonic said: I left NB, deadpool

as I said in my earlier thread I'll be moving out from Nexus Bytes during my renewal date, both shared and vps. They are afloat until they are. Don't know when will it sink.

@jsg said: NB's support team IMO is easily among the worst I've ever experienced.

ditto here. tickets are not answered. I mean, now its a web hosting service without any support.

• niceboyniceboy Veteran
    edited September 2022

I always found that the nexusbytes support department answered my tickets within few hours.

Here is my current vps uptime :

uptime

03:13:27 up 223 days, 15:54, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05

• @dusst said:

I have a reseller account there that is still running. The only reason I let it stay there is that I have actually not had any problems at all with it, and the websites hosted on it are all of the kind that a few days of downtime is not a big deal at all. I have notified all the customers and explained the situation, and they all agree that the cost of moving the service is not worth it.
    I have however set up some extra backups and verified that they work, and lowered the TTL in DNS.

@rogerwilco said:
    Expedient customer service is a staple for production services IMHO.

I have to disagree a bit here. If you require expedient service and support, then you do not host your production services at a lowend provider.

@rogerwilco said:
    Current state, for what use case would you feel comfortable recommending NexusBytes?

In it's current state, I would not recommend it for anything. When things worked flawlessly, I would recommend it for low budget, unimportant websites or for testing.

Thanked by 1mrTom
  • @niceboy said: Here is my current vps uptime

This is very bad. This means that node is not updated/restarted for long time. Potential security issues. Kernel care is out of the question here.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep
    edited September 2022

I've only been here for one month, nearly two, and so far, all billing-related tickets are answered; apart from all the ones that were waiting for like 5 months, which auto closed by the system, I'm working with our tech team to make sure we get that working better, things will get better from here, but unfortunately, I'm not magic, don't own a magic wand, and this isn't going to happen overnight, but we are slowly getting back to how it used to be.

If I can help anyone, just let me know; we will work hard to ensure everyone is happy and has everything they need. I've always lived by this; I'm not happy until you're happy.

Thank you to everyone that has stuck with us; it will only get better from here.

• @LTniger said:

@niceboy said: Here is my current vps uptime

This is very bad. This means that node is not updated/restarted for long time. Potential security issues. Kernel care is out of the question here.

In my opinion a bullshit argument. All depends on how the host is used, and how the rest of the packages are maintained - and you don't know the latter from just an uptime.

In almost all cases if there is a kernel issue, it can only be exploited with the help of other programs, e.g. you have to be able to login to the server. If the host doesn't allow that, there is in my opinion no reason why you couldn't safely run a year old kernel.

Also these days there are certain kernel/parts of a kernel you can update without rebooting.

• @Calypso said:

@LTniger said:

@niceboy said: Here is my current vps uptime

In my opinion a bullshit argument. All depends on how the host is used, and how the rest of the packages are maintained - and you don't know the latter from just an uptime.

In almost all cases if there is a kernel issue, it can only be exploited with the help of other programs, e.g. you have to be able to login to the server. If the host doesn't allow that, there is in my opinion no reason why you couldn't safely run a year old kernel.

Also these days there are certain kernel/parts of a kernel you can update without rebooting.

Please do not feel obligation to defend defunct hosting provider. I suggest you to search for recent feedback on this forum.

• @LTniger said:
    Please do not feel obligation to defend defunct hosting provider. I suggest you to search for recent feedback on this forum.

I'm not defending a hosting provider. Someone is posting the uptime of a VPS (a VPS, not a host!), and you are saying something about bad maintenance, while you don't know anything about that VPS usage etc.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @Neoon said:

This is true. They are not respecting the SLA and they are not giving refunds when a VPS goes down for more than 8 hours like mine. I do not recommend this company.