Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Linux for Beginners
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Linux for Beginners

ArkasArkas Member, Moderator

I know there are more and more of you whom are beginners in Linux.
Spend some time here:

Timestamps:
00:00 Linux Possibilities and Limitations
03:55 Starting Off and First Steps
08:33 First Install
09:43 First Boot and Config
11:53 First Terminal and REQUIRED Steps
13:25 After Reboot and Additional Config
16:10 Options in File Browsing and Other Programs
18:27 Changing the Desktop Environment
24:11 My Setup

Comments

  • I fully using Linux for 2 years more (and dd entire HDD), what I learn to be success using linux is

    • Learn how to use shell, this the best things about Linux! you can control everything from terminal. Almost any linux tutorial on internet using terminal to do something. Even you use "just works" distro you can't evade terminal (I also evade this for my first journey and ended up back to windowz :D )
    • I always take a note, anything important like "how to install/fix X"
    • Don't hesitate asking and help someone else out online, Linux comes from the collaborative, grassroots nature of the project, which is something you really cannot get from Windows or Mac.

    Good things learn about linux, I was also learn how to manage server and save some money for self-manage server.
    For note, My background was not related with IT.
    And sorry for my bad english :D

  • There is also FreeBSD as alternative to Linux.

  • Mate, 90% of people here dont need a "Linux for beginners" video.
    Other 10% can open Youtube.
    Point of such thread?

    Thanked by 3afn Liso martheen
  • afnafn Member

    @luckypenguin said: Other 10% can open Youtube.

    pointing those 10% to a ressource that is good. (easier to find)

    not all youtube videos are made equal

    Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • defaultdefault Member
    edited September 22

    @luckypenguin said:
    Point of such thread?

    Advertising?! 🤨

  • @default said:

    @luckypenguin said:
    Point of such thread?

    Advertising?! 🤨

    Lol gotta love Gary 😂

    Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • emgemg Member
    edited September 22

    @luckypenguin said: Point of such thread?

    @Arkas has brought a good tool to our attention. That tool can help others get started with Linux. Many people here who are comfortable with Linux still have customers, friends, or family that would benefit.

    While I appreciate Arkas' sharing this find with us, it is my opinion that this video is not very useful. It uses far too much jargon and provides far too much detail. The video uses many terms that would be unfamiliar to beginners. In my opinion, beginners would be totally lost before the first five minutes was done. They would quit and give up in the intro, before they learned much.

    Nice find, but not fit for purpose, in my opinion. If I were making that video, I would divide it into small bite-size short videos, and be careful to bootstrap the viewer step by step.

    Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • ArkasArkas Member, Moderator
    edited September 22

    @emg said: While I appreciate Arkas' sharing this find with us, it is my opinion that this video is not very useful. It uses far too much jargon and provides far too much detail. The video uses many terms that would be unfamiliar to beginners. In my opinion, beginners would be totally lost before the first five minutes was done. They would quit and give up in the intro, before they learned much.

    All good points. Having said that, the Low End Market is financially based, and with the coming energy crisis, more and more will enter this market will need a guiding hand (and I could be wrong).

  • emgemg Member

    @Arkas said:

    All good points. Having said that, the Low End Market is financially based, and with the coming energy crisis, more and more will enter this market will need a guiding hand (and I could be wrong).

    You will get no argument from me about that, but this YouTube video is not the best hand to guide them. There are thousands of YouTube videos about Linux. Hundreds of them are good. I wish I could recommend a better one.

    Sorry, but I rarely learn much from YouTube. On YouTube, all too often the lesson learned is "Don't do it this way!"

    Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • @emg said:

    @Arkas said:

    All good points. Having said that, the Low End Market is financially based, and with the coming energy crisis, more and more will enter this market will need a guiding hand (and I could be wrong).

    You will get no argument from me about that, but this YouTube video is not the best hand to guide them. There are thousands of YouTube videos about Linux. Hundreds of them are good. I wish I could recommend a better one.

    Sorry, but I rarely learn much from YouTube. On YouTube, all too often the lesson learned is "Don't do it this way!"

    What would you suggest as an easy way to learn linux to beginners?

  • emgemg Member

    @SLMob said:

    What would you suggest as an easy way to learn linux to beginners?

    That is a fair question, and I wish I could answer it. Each person learns in their own way. What I can say is "Not this video."

    Many people recommend YouTube as a learning source, but it does not work for me very well. For me, YouTube is slow and inefficient. Worse yet, it is often inaccurate. The self-proclaimed experts often make bad and sometimes dangerous mistakes.

    Speaking only for myself, I learn best from books. They are dense with information and portable.

    Thanked by 2SLMob bikegremlin
  • SLMobSLMob Member
    edited September 22

    @emg said:

    @SLMob said:

    What would you suggest as an easy way to learn linux to beginners?

    That is a fair question, and I wish I could answer it. Each person learns in their own way. What I can say is "Not this video."

    Many people recommend YouTube as a learning source, but it does not work for me very well. For me, YouTube is slow and inefficient. Worse yet, it is often inaccurate. The self-proclaimed experts often make bad and sometimes dangerous mistakes.

    Speaking only for myself, I learn best from books. They are dense with information and portable.

    I would agree that comprehensive books by linux experts would be better as an good education material for beginners however they do tend to be tedious imo as compared to videos as material for learning at very beginning.
    What books would you suggest btw, any favourites you can share?

  • emgemg Member

    @SLMob said:

    I would agree that comprehensive books by linux experts would be better as an good education material for beginners however they do tend to be tedious imo as compared to videos as material for learning at very beginning.
    What books would you suggest btw, any favourites you can share?

    That's another great question that would be difficult for me to answer. My Linux books were all very old (from the 1990s, early 2000s). Earlier this year I had to make space on my bookshelf. I donated my collection of old, out-of-date Linux books to our local library. I kept a beginner's book that I was fond of. I may never look at it again, and my children will throw it away when I'm gone. That book is way out of date. The author and publisher did not maintain it. It may be on my shelf, but it would unfair to recommend it:

    Linux System Administration Black Book
    Author: Dee-Ann LeBlanc
    Copyright 2000, Coriolis Group
    ISBN: ‎ 1-57610-419-2

    (I harbor no illusions about those book donations to the library. Nobody wants ancient Linux books. The "Friends of the Library" will put those linux books in their used bookstore priced at $1 for a few weeks. After that, the library sells them by the pound to the recycling center.)

    Thanked by 1SLMob
  • ArkasArkas Member, Moderator
    edited September 26

    Linux Command Line: Man Pages Bootcamp
    Free until coupon expires!

  • Linux appears almost everywhere. You can find it on the desktop, server, cloud, mobile devices, supercomputers, and as part of the Internet of Things (IoT), among other platforms. Linux is important because it is customizable, you don’t have to jump through someone else’s hoop to create an application, it’s fast, and it works on older hardware. The Linux learning curve can cause woe initially, but the experience gained in working with Linux translates to all of the platforms it supports, which are many. Linux is actually the basis for other operating systems, like Android, because it does provide so much flexibility.

  • @SLMob said:

    @emg said:

    @SLMob said:

    What would you suggest as an easy way to learn linux to beginners?

    That is a fair question, and I wish I could answer it. Each person learns in their own way. What I can say is "Not this video."

    Many people recommend YouTube as a learning source, but it does not work for me very well. For me, YouTube is slow and inefficient. Worse yet, it is often inaccurate. The self-proclaimed experts often make bad and sometimes dangerous mistakes.

    Speaking only for myself, I learn best from books. They are dense with information and portable.

    I would agree that comprehensive books by linux experts would be better as an good education material for beginners however they do tend to be tedious imo as compared to videos as material for learning at very beginning.
    What books would you suggest btw, any favourites you can share?

    I find videos to be more tedious compared to learning from books (except for some stuff that really needs to be shown). However, I think there are a lot of people who prefer videos.

  • @bikegremlin said:

    @SLMob said:

    @emg said:

    @SLMob said:

    What would you suggest as an easy way to learn linux to beginners?

    That is a fair question, and I wish I could answer it. Each person learns in their own way. What I can say is "Not this video."

    Many people recommend YouTube as a learning source, but it does not work for me very well. For me, YouTube is slow and inefficient. Worse yet, it is often inaccurate. The self-proclaimed experts often make bad and sometimes dangerous mistakes.

    Speaking only for myself, I learn best from books. They are dense with information and portable.

    I would agree that comprehensive books by linux experts would be better as an good education material for beginners however they do tend to be tedious imo as compared to videos as material for learning at very beginning.
    What books would you suggest btw, any favourites you can share?

    I find videos to be more tedious compared to learning from books (except for some stuff that really needs to be shown). However, I think there are a lot of people who prefer videos.

    Reading makes me feel sleepy. So I prefer audio and video to visualize things and get a more lasting impression.

Sign In or Register to comment.