Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CheapWindowsVPS: my service experience
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CheapWindowsVPS: my service experience

vasharoonvasharoon Member
edited September 2022 in Reviews

I don't want to drone on and on about CWVPS, lord knows I'm still pretty damn angry after what happened... so tl;dr engaged, the screenshots speak louder than I do.

I messaged support/sales asking about the DDoS mitigation listed in the knowledgebase (top entry, back then) I was told that all I had to do was move my service to their Buffalo node - DDoS protection would cover my server at no extra cost there.

One final bit of context, after my first exchange with the support, I convinced 2 close friends to ditch their existing hosting and migrate over, as the price was excellent, and DDoS targeting of their game servers was their biggest headache.

(The messages with support are in ascending order, so start low and make your way up)

Ticket #1: Support outright lying to me in Jan.

Ticket #2: Discovering the truth by complete accident while wanting to upgrade service in March.

Customer beware. Scum bag host? ....you decide.

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Mentally strong people settle differences by duel at dawn and don't DDoS in the shadow.

• @yoursunny said:
    Mentally strong people settle differences by duel at dawn and don't DDoS in the shadow.

>

This, unfortunately, leaves everyone else playing video games and behaving like pricks

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran
    edited September 2022

@vasharoon said:

@yoursunny said:

>

This, unfortunately, leaves everyone else playing video games and behaving like pricks

Did you accept the refund or continue with the service?

To make sure I understand:

• Sometime in the past, pre-January 2022, CWVPS offered DDOS Protection.
    • You ordered a service in January 2022 and received their "free" DDOS Protection.
    • Sometime in March 2022 you inquired about a service upgrade and were advised that the free DDOS Protection service had been retired and were offered a refund and an apology for the misunderstanding?

To be honest it doesn't feel like a scam at all? Not trying to give you a hard time, but this one is... confusing.

It seems you did not accept the refund and just asked for the service to be moved to Chicago? Are you otherwise happy with the value you are receiving from CWVPS?

PS: I checked, and the DDOS Protection is gone from their Knowledgebase.

• vasharoonvasharoon Member
    edited September 2022

@jbiloh said:
    Did you accept the refund or continue with the service?

Neither? I shut everything down, canceled the service, apologized to my friends, and did a half-decent job repressing the entire experience until LEB had them front and center on the home page.

At NO point during my time as a customer did they actually have DDoS protection.
    _Despite having me change to the least convenient node in NA, geographically.
    _Despite advertising it.
    -Despite confirming that the feature was active on my service, time after time, after time in my first exchange with them.

Prompting me to echo their BS, and tell have friends to ditch existing hosting and switch over to specifically take advantage of this imaginary feature.

The benefit of the doubt aside, they crossed swiftly into ScamLand the moment that I was told that my service was now protected.

And if I'm being honest, the offer of a refund didn't even register with me at the time, getting back my $15 from those 3 months would have only meant that I would extend having to interact with them. I was done. I dipped and offered to Paypal my friends to reinstate their previous hosting.