Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to evaluate network quality? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to evaluate network quality?

2»

Comments

• @Arkas said:

@MrRadic said: Can you expand more on what's exactly premium? Do they manage their network differently? Specific carrier mix?

The speeds are amazing, packet loss non existent. I believe they do manage it themselves.

They have NovoServe as upstream, but @Hybula might explain it further :)

• HybulaHybula Member, Patron Provider

@JeDaYoshi said:

@Arkas said:

@MrRadic said: Can you expand more on what's exactly premium? Do they manage their network differently? Specific carrier mix?

The speeds are amazing, packet loss non existent. I believe they do manage it themselves.

They have NovoServe as upstream, but @Hybula might explain it further :)

Sure, a short answer to OPs question is a bit tough. But regarding our upstream's network, the following points apply:

• Capacity is important, we ensure that we always have plenty of overcapacity (like 30-50%, depending on upstream).
    • Quality hardware, we only work with Arista equipment for example.
    • Network architecture is relevant, how a network is designed and implemented.
    • Upstreams, it's important to have a good blend of upstreams (e.g. tier 1, IXPs, PNIs). Here is a list of our upstreams: https://community.hybula.com/d/21-as35133-core-network
    • Also applicable, but not really a lot of impact, we have several PoPs in Amsterdam, not just one location. This allows us to load balance traffic and failover if required.

If there are any questions, feel free to tag me.

• @user54321 said:

@Kousaka said:
    Example: you can hardly find a provider who offers single-homed telekom.de connection, but end users do use that network.

telekom.de network is one of the worst networks i had ever to deal with, that crap is congested over every single big transit there is. If you have customers there better tell them to ditch that crap and use a other ISP if they want Internet and not only telekom.de LAN.

Same with ARTERIA JAPAN. Connection speed is fine within Japan but once it crosses the border it could be throttled to 10Mbps. Some mansions use ARTERIA JAPAN as shared LAN network. However most datacenter networks in Japan has amazing international peering and bandwidth.

• @yoursunny said: I haven't heard many negative things about Voxility

Around 2019 I had a VPS from a hosting provider that had RO Voxility Dedis. It had more downtime than uptime since his dedi was getting attacked 24/7. He moved me on hetzner :#

Hopefully, things are better now since I believe Voxility is one of the very few datacenters in RO with potential. offers the lowest ping possible (i have 5ms)

• 0xbkt0xbkt Member
    edited September 2022

@Hybula said: Upstreams, it's important to have a good blend of upstreams (e.g. tier 1, IXPs, PNIs).

How can you compare the cost ($$$) of moving the same amount of traffic to the same destination, transit vs. IXP vs. PNI? Per customer, especially.

• user54321user54321 Member
    edited September 2022

@BreakaWD said:

@user54321 said:

@Kousaka said:
    Example: you can hardly find a provider who offers single-homed telekom.de connection, but end users do use that network.

telekom.de network is one of the worst networks i had ever to deal with, that crap is congested over every single big transit there is. If you have customers there better tell them to ditch that crap and use a other ISP if they want Internet and not only telekom.de LAN.

Same with ARTERIA JAPAN. Connection speed is fine within Japan but once it crosses the border it could be throttled to 10Mbps. Some mansions use ARTERIA JAPAN as shared LAN network. However most datacenter networks in Japan has amazing international peering and bandwidth.

That is something telekom customers can only dream of, routing germany -> usa -> germany is faster than trying to reach telekom via transit inner german or european during rushhour. Trying to reach from a telekom home connection in Berlin a DC in Berlin via level3 during rushhour resulted in a latency of 180ms and a throughput of 70 kbps. Doing the same at 4 in the morning would run with a latency of 1ms and 1gbps throughput. That is how fucking insanely under developed the links to other tier 1 provides are.
    If you pay for the telekom "transit", which cost 10 times of what other transits want (and you can't really reach anything beside telekom end customers because of the shitty telekom backbone) you get 24/7 full speed.