Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

when I should choose OVZ? and when KVM?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

when I should choose OVZ? and when KVM?

I saw providers have two types of virtual servers as subject.
and OVZ is a bit cheaper. so how to choose?

Thanks

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2022

always KVM, except you are so broke and the deal aka offer is so much cheaper and you don't care and don't need the features (custom kernel, kernel modules, install any os you like) of a KVM then go for it.

• For me, the motto is KVM where you can, OpenVZ if you must.

It depends on your needs obviously. OpenVZ is generally cheap, easy, and usually fine for most simple-use cases. It may have some limitations you care about. Such as tying you to a specific kernel major release, making upgrades impossible until the provider supports it.

Personally I find KVM more flexible and predictable, but I'll use OpenVZ if there is no other choice or the provider prices KVM so high that it isn't worth it.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Brainless choice kvm

• vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

@frakass

In short, OVZ is kernel-based virtualization (OpenVZ is an OS-level virtualization solution), KVM is hardware virtualization.

Advantages of OVZ:

• may cost less than KVM
    • you can increase or decrease the resources allocated to the server quickly, without rebooting

Disadvantages of OVZ:

• available virtualization of Linux distributions only (do not run Windows on OVZ)
    • it is not possible to supersede Linux core pro upgrades
    • services that are closely related to the core may not work (for example, IPSEC)

Advantages of KVM:

• full virtualization (any OS can be installed on VPS)
    • you can modify the core
    • you can run any software

Disadvantages of KVM:

• usually more expensive
    • upgrade of the CPU, RAM requires a VPS reboot

In general, the best choice is KVM.
    OVZ is suitable if you need to change resources amount of VPS very often.

Thanked by 1dosai
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited September 2022

My biggest beef against OpenVZ is the network interface.
    Almost every provider uses venet interface that delivers LINUX_SLL packet format.
    Many of my apps would need extra code logic to accommodate LINUX_SLL.

OpenVZ supports veth that has Ethernet header.
    I wonder why don't providers offer veth network interface in OpenVZ?
    If they do, I'm more willing to accept OpenVZ.

• I always choose whatever is cheaper.
    What others have written is correct. The KVM experience is closer to a physical server than the OVZ one. But for all the things I've been using KVM VPSs for, I could also do them using OVZ. The added capabilities of KVM are not needed for someone like me.

• edited September 2022

@yoursunny said:
    My biggest beef against OpenVZ is the network interface.
    Almost every provider uses venet interface that delivers LINUX_SLL packet format.
    Many of my apps would need extra code logic to accommodate LINUX_SLL.

OpenVZ supports veth that has Ethernet header.
    I wonder why don't providers offer veth network interface in OpenVZ?
    If they do, I'm more willing to accept OpenVZ.

Most common reason is likely that venet is default and they have not switched. If you ask a low-end provider to switch they'll likely think “for the $1/month or less you are paying you want me to change my host config?, yeah nah.” or similar.

If a host does consider switching they'll have a quick scan of documentation, see things like https://wiki.openvz.org/Differences_between_venet_and_veth with tables that state “network security: low” and “performance: fast” (where venet is suggested to be faster than this fast), and go right back to that “yeah, nah” response.

Like privileged containers in LXC, I'm thinking veth is something you'd consider using if you control all the containers (i.e. this is a private host), but not if you have unknown users in control of containers.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • my app "snapd" doesn't run on ovz.
    so at least for "snapd" to run you need a kvm.