Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Flokinet launch Floki phone privacy based - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Flokinet launch Floki phone privacy based

2»

Comments

• ΛNØM

looks nice.

• @hyperblast said:
    source: https://nitter.net/FlokiNETehf/status/1541415648596824065#m

you are right, i should have given the source at the same time.

My point is not what flokinet supports in detail, but rather that flokinet is a political provider that should not be trusted.

here is the twitter account of the flokinet ceo: https://nitter.net/frelsisbaratta
    if you work your way through it, it is clear where the ceo and flokinet are located. flokinet fantasizes in the best 1984-like-newspeak art of freedom, data security, encryption, freedom of speech and human rights but all under a political mindset (whether good or bad is up to you; but it should be clear, who flokinet and its ceo mindset does not fit, who will have to reckon with sanctions).

Quite funny his quote belos blog name
    http://www.frelsisbaratta.is/blog/

Pretty sure this is a honeypot. I have heard in other forums they leaked without court order website famous. If you search in google you will find some people saying they give info to authorities.

A big marketplace happened that with Flokinet apparently.

• @MannDude said:
    How is this better than just installing GrapheneOS myself? Can already buy SIM cards for different >regions of the world as is.

It is made for customers lacking the knowledge and the ressources to do the setup. Everyone with technical background can of course perform a Graphene OS install himself.
    As side note for you as you are in the US: anonymous sim cards are not available in most european countries and we include also a VPN.

@sandoz said:
    Pretty sure this is a honeypot. I have heard in other forums they leaked without court order website famous. If you search in google you will find some people saying they give info to authorities.

We do follow the law and if we recive a valid court order covering your server location we have to follow it as any other hoster as well unless you use a service run out of an north korean basement.

We operate since more then 10 years and we host plenty of large leak platforms including wikileaks.

We do not hand over customer information (your emailadress) unless there is an icelandic court order and you are free to signup as John Doe without providing data. Since 2012 we have recived not a single valid court order to handover customer information and therefore never did so. Feel free to provide proof otherwise.

Customer data (the data stored on your service) always follows the law the service is located in.

The big marketplace that you are refering to had the server copied with a valid court order but as the operator did not encrypted his drives the copy was indeed a problem.

We did handover each customer a copy of the court order so they also can take legal action if required.
    As we are not an US based provider secret / sealed court orders do not exist for us and we provide customers always a copy so they are aware of any action taken.

We are not fixing your OPSEC failures, encrypting your drives is up to you but with the setups we provide easy to do.
    And as a side note: the "competitor" marketplace encrypted his harddrives and just kept running after copies of the drives where made. Just know your OPSEC and you are fine.

@sandoz said:
    I am totally against this vaccination rule is completely silly and useless for anyone who defends >freedom of expression like Flokinet.

The part was added towards ToS and AUP because during the first lockdown phase several countries like Romania banned providing false information and we got plenty of signups from "5G cause covid" people. To avoid this we simply added the text as otherwise we would need to explain them over and over again that they break the law.
    Nobody stopped you from running a website criticizing lockdowns or telling people you dont like masks.
    We draw the line at "vaccines kill and 5G cause covid" in a global pandemic. If you think that taking responsibility is not a good thing thats up to you.

Thanked by 1seb1g
  • gzzgzz Member

@FlokiNET said: We do not hand over customer information (your emailadress) unless there is an icelandic court order and you are free to signup as John Doe without providing data. Since 2012 we have recived not a single valid court order to handover customer information and therefore never did so. Feel free to provide proof otherwise.

Have you ever complied with a request for server data?

• bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited October 2022

What exactly is the idea/point of this product?
    Who are you staying private from?
    Individuals, corporations, or governments?

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

In the modern world, everything is unsafe by default.
    Before I started working in hosting, I was trying to find a new job for myself (it was in 1999) and met with the head of a small company that produced scrambler-type devices.
    During its development, cryptoalgorithms of the USSR were used.
    Using this device, you could call anyone who had the same device, and your conversation was 100% secure.
    The aforementioned company was founded by a former KGB officer and, as he told me, the devices were mainly sold to Arab sheikhs.
    That's all you need to know about everything advertised to be safe and anonymous. Any of such devices/software/services is a product of any secret service of the world, directly or indirectly.

• @FlokiNET said:

@MannDude said:
    How is this better than just installing GrapheneOS myself? Can already buy SIM cards for different >regions of the world as is.

It is made for customers lacking the knowledge and the ressources to do the setup. Everyone with technical background can of course perform a Graphene OS install himself.
    As side note for you as you are in the US: anonymous sim cards are not available in most european countries and we include also a VPN.

@sandoz said:

We do follow the law and if we recive a valid court order covering your server location we have to follow it as any other hoster as well unless you use a service run out of an north korean basement.

We operate since more then 10 years and we host plenty of large leak platforms including wikileaks.

We do not hand over customer information (your emailadress) unless there is an icelandic court order and you are free to signup as John Doe without providing data. Since 2012 we have recived not a single valid court order to handover customer information and therefore never did so. Feel free to provide proof otherwise.

Customer data (the data stored on your service) always follows the law the service is located in.

The big marketplace that you are refering to had the server copied with a valid court order but as the operator did not encrypted his drives the copy was indeed a problem.

We did handover each customer a copy of the court order so they also can take legal action if required.
    As we are not an US based provider secret / sealed court orders do not exist for us and we provide customers always a copy so they are aware of any action taken.

We are not fixing your OPSEC failures, encrypting your drives is up to you but with the setups we provide easy to do.
    And as a side note: the "competitor" marketplace encrypted his harddrives and just kept running after copies of the drives where made. Just know your OPSEC and you are fine.

@sandoz said:
    I am totally against this vaccination rule is completely silly and useless for anyone who defends >freedom of expression like Flokinet.

The part was added towards ToS and AUP because during the first lockdown phase several countries like Romania banned providing false information and we got plenty of signups from "5G cause covid" people. To avoid this we simply added the text as otherwise we would need to explain them over and over again that they break the law.
    Nobody stopped you from running a website criticizing lockdowns or telling people you dont like masks.
    We draw the line at "vaccines kill and 5G cause covid" in a global pandemic. If you think that taking responsibility is not a good thing thats up to you.

not convincing

Thanked by 1jar
  • FlokiNETFlokiNET Member
    edited October 2022

@gzz said:

Yes, if there is a valid court order we have to follow it like every other webhoster as well. And in over 10 years and with currently 4 datacenter locations this of course is the case.
    I december we will publish a new transparency report in our blog with details for 2022

@hyperblast said:
    not convincing

What keeps you from it? Feel free also to contact us directly.

@bikegremlin said:

The point is for customers who are unable to setup Graphene OS themself to be able to buy such a phone. We have build this setup in the past for various customers and now simply offer it public.
    Privacy and security depending on your threat model and need to be adapted accordingly and of course include governments.

• @FlokiNET said:

@bikegremlin said:

The point is for customers who are unable to setup Graphene OS themself to be able to buy such a phone. We have build this setup in the past for various customers and now simply offer it public.
    Privacy and security depending on your threat model and need to be adapted accordingly and of course include governments.

So it can protect you from government spying as well?

• emgemg Veteran
    edited October 2022

@LTniger said:
    Such product designed to cater to criminal entities. Sooner or later it will be compromissed and used against such entities by gov or rival gangs.

There are multiple threads of discussion going on in this thread. I would prefer to avoid most of them. There are statements above about the motivations behind those who build secure computing and communications technologies, and they are incorrect.

I want to make plain and clear that the vast majority of people who design and build secure computing systems, secure communications systems, and privacy enhancing technologies are not designing and building them for criminal purposes or to enable criminal activities. I know this from direct personal knowledge and experience.

• @bikegremlin said:
    So it can protect you from government spying as well?

Again you need to adapt your thread model accordingly but so far GrapheneOS hardening has worked well against exploits but of course there is never a 100% security and you have to keep that in mind for everything you use.
    Also spying comes with different actions and just running a secure phone wont protect you fully.

• The part was added towards ToS and AUP because during the first lockdown phase several countries like Romania banned providing false information and we got plenty of signups from "5G cause covid" people. To avoid this we simply added the text as otherwise we would need to explain them over and over again that they break the law.

Well and happens if someone sign up and does a post about vaccine? You can be right of Romenia. But not for Finland or Iceland why we can't post that there?

For me and for others that is not freedom of speech, you lose clients and customers with that rule and you know it. Let people using Iceland Or Finland servers to do it.

If you don't like that, is still suspicious and not acceptable for a Freedom of speech project.

I will let @MannDude let his feedback about your replies Since we is also a freedom of speech defender. Please MannDude can you answer his points he is correct or not in your opinion?

For me isn't not.

• @sandoz said:

Well and happens if someone sign up and does a post about vaccine? You can be right of Romenia. But not for Finland or Iceland why we can't post that there?

For me and for others that is not freedom of speech, you lose clients and customers with that rule and you know it. Let people using Iceland Or Finland servers to do it.

If you don't like that, is still suspicious and not acceptable for a Freedom of speech project.

I will let @MannDude let his feedback about your replies Since we is also a freedom of speech defender. Please MannDude can you answer his points he is correct or not in your opinion?

For me isn't not.

It seems like the "COVID-19 misinformation" rule disappeared from the AUP.

https://flokinet.is/aup.php

• @borowsky said:
    Can I speak about vaccines thru their "privacy focused" pro "free speech" phone or its disallowed >:)

@FlokiNET, I'm not your future customer.

• @sandoz said:

If we dont like it its our own choice not to host it. That is not suspicious but a company decision to create a certain policy or to follow the law (as explained before).
    As much as others might dont let you host adult content or leaked data of the US government.

@Chuck said:
    @FlokiNET, I'm not your future customer.

That is fine, not everyone has to be ;)

Thanked by 1seb1g
  • gzzgzz Member

@FlokiNET said:

@gzz said:

Yes, if there is a valid court order we have to follow it like every other webhoster as well. And in over 10 years and with currently 4 datacenter locations this of course is the case.
    I december we will publish a new transparency report in our blog with details for 2022

@hyperblast said:
    not convincing

What keeps you from it? Feel free also to contact us directly.

@bikegremlin said:

Where do you post your transparency reports? Can you give a link?

• @FlokiNET said:

@sandoz said:

If we dont like it its our own choice not to host it. That is not suspicious but a company decision to create a certain policy or to follow the law (as explained before).
    As much as others might dont let you host adult content or leaked data of the US government.

That's not the problem, the problem is that you mentioned that it was banned in romania, that's ok. It was forbidden to say that about vaccines in Romania, but was it also in Finland and Iceland?

That's where many people doubt, if you read this whole thread.
    It makes no sense for you to be a supporter of free speech and not allow talking about Vaccines, 5G, nanochips, conspiracy theories.

It doesn't make sense, you can say what you want and you want to. No person who is in favor of freedom of expression will understand and understand this rule.

I didn't say that, but there are rumors that you guys helped dismantle and leak the SilkRoad website. Whoever said this is close to or had contact with one of the website owners.

Be that as it may, a project that claims to be in favor of freedom of expression and does not allow talking about vaccines (they could just block it in Romania) but no, it is on all servers and locations.

It's the same thing as me being a defender of freedom of expression and oppressing politics, government, corruption from being talked about. It makes sense? Obviously not!

Thanked by 1hyperblast
  • edited October 2022

Back in the days, the original MagicJack and Zfone (http://zfoneproject.com/) was the way to go until MagicJack blocked it.

• That device is gatway to sell their Voip and Teamspark service ( based on matrix ).
    Device is using Matrix based server for commuinication as per device order page.

Here is the link: https://billing.flokinet.is/index.php?rp=/store/flokinet-hardware