Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Japanese Domain Provider giving out .com .net for free
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Japanese Domain Provider giving out .com .net for free

A Japanese Domain Provider is giving out .com / .net / .jp / .shop / .click / .xyz / .site free for a year. (Credit Card Verification Required)

https://www.onamae.com/?waad=hKtgNL3n&gc=AVMBG-VVNQO-IHCGM&banner_id=95_jp_firsttime_1_add

Thanked by 2alilet JasonM

Comments

• Open to all? Or just for Japanese residents?

• @BingoBongo said:
    Open to all? Or just for Japanese residents?

I don't know. I am a Korean and I successfully ordered a domain with them.

• @BingoBongo said:

BINGO

• @ehab said:

@BingoBongo said:

BINGO

BONGO

• @BingoBongo said:

@ehab said:

@BingoBongo said:

BINGO

BONGO

lets play

Thanked by 2kdh FrankZ
  • And what's the transfer fee after 1 year? I'm betting it's more than 2 years at other registrars...

• @ralf said:
    And what's the transfer fee after 1 year? I'm betting it's more than 2 years at other registrars...

You don't pay the transfer fee to the old domain registrar. You pay to the new registrar.

Thanked by 1Dazzle
  • where is renewal price mentioned for .com / .net?

• @JasonM said:
    where is renewal price mentioned for .com / .net?

1287, 1507 yen

About 10 USD

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • @kdh said:

@ralf said:
    And what's the transfer fee after 1 year? I'm betting it's more than 2 years at other registrars...

You don't pay the transfer fee to the old domain registrar. You pay to the new registrar.

Maybe it's not a thing anymore, but at lot of registrars used to charge a fee to allow transfers out. I don't really keep up to date with DNS news, so maybe this isn't a thing any more, but in the old days a low first year fee was always a sign that you'd be locked in for extortionate prices later on.

• @ralf said:

@kdh said:

@ralf said:

Maybe it's not a thing anymore, but at lot of registrars used to charge a fee to allow transfers out. I don't really keep up to date with DNS news, so maybe this isn't a thing any more, but in the old days a low first year fee was always a sign that you'd be locked in for extortionate prices later on.

You pay the fee to the new registrar.

• @ralf said:

@kdh said:

@ralf said:

I don’t think it’s allowed for your current registrar to charge you to get a transfer code. I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure if it were the case a lot more would do it to avoid people from leaving (I.e making crazy prices to unlock the domain)

If a registrar ever attempts to charge you for a transfer code // to unlock your domain you should contact ICANN and report them

• Total off-topic: @kdh, your face is so young :O I thought @yoursunny was the young looking, but damn!

Thanked by 2yoursunny kdh
  • @gzz said:

@ralf said:

@kdh said:

@ralf said:

I don’t think it’s allowed for your current registrar to charge you to get a transfer code. I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure if it were the case a lot more would do it to avoid people from leaving (I.e making crazy prices to unlock the domain)

If a registrar ever attempts to charge you for a transfer code // to unlock your domain you should contact ICANN and report them

It looks like the rules have changed since I last looked, but not in a very coherent way!

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/name-holder-faqs-2017-10-10-en

My registrar is charging me a fee to transfer to a new registrar. Is this allowed?
    Yes. Registrars are allowed to set their own prices for this service so some may choose to charge a fee. However, a transfer cannot be denied due to non-payment of this transfer fee. There are other reasons your registrar can deny transfer request. See FAQ #8 above for more information.

So they are allowed to charge you, but cannot prevent a transfer if you refuse to pay! But in the #8, it says if it is locked, they can refuse the transfer and they just have to provide "reasonable means" to unlock it... but says nothing about disallowing a charge for that. So, who knows... I'd play it safe and just assume if a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.

• you cant pay.. none of the credit cards i have worked

Thanked by 1itoshikimonset
  • @adevis2 said:
    you cant pay.. none of the credit cards i have worked

It's true. I have the same problem and sent an email to support@ about 18 hours ago, got no reply yet.

• @adevis2 said:
    you cant pay.. none of the credit cards i have worked

Same, maybe you can only pay with Asian cards?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@LTniger said:
    Total off-topic: @kdh, your face is so young :O I thought @yoursunny was the young looking, but damn!

My profile picture was taken on 2010-Jul-01.
    I'm told that the profile picture is part of my personal brand and I'm not supposed to change it often, so it remained.

Same shirt and shorts, six years later in Tucson AZ and ten years later in Gaithersburg MD.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@LTniger said: Total off-topic: @kdh, your face is so young :O I thought @yoursunny was the young looking, but damn!

You've got it backwards.

@yoursunny is a prenatal prodigy genius suffering from advanced aging. He's only 3 years old. He looks extremely old for his age. Knows more than most toddlers about IPv6, too.

• netguynetguy Member
    edited September 2022

@kdh said: A Japanese Domain Provider is giving out .com / .net / .jp / .shop / .click / .xyz / .site free for a year. (Credit Card Verification Required)

Whois Privacy 330 JPY ~ 2.33 USD.