Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Epyc Processors
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Epyc Processors

LittleCreekLittleCreek Member, Patron Provider

Been thinking of my next server build. What do you guys think of the AMD EPYC (2nd Gen) 7302P Hexadeca-core (16 Core) 3 GHz Processor?

Comments

• TrendyJackTrendyJack Member
    edited September 2022

I think that it could be interesting to see something with an EPYC 3rd gen on lowend market rather than another product with that 2nd Gen EPYC, there are just few provider that offers latest EPYC cpu.

• If it's competing in the price range of the old xeons that are so popular in the low end, it's a great idea

• If it's competing in the price range of the old xeons that are so popular in the low end, it's a great idea

• I would recommend to go with Epyc Milan instead of ROME

They are more powerful, advanced and more core and their price is not that much

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

I guess that CPU gets picked because low price and higher base clock.

I wonder what benchmarks show 7302P vs 7551P

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Boring but seems to sell well. Be sure to pair it up with fast memory though.

• LittleCreekLittleCreek Member, Patron Provider

@PulsedMedia said:

I think 7302P wins. But if I get the 32 core version (still less money) instead of the 16 then the 7551P may win for the multicore test.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/search?utf8=✓&q=7551P
    https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/search?utf8=✓&q=7302P

• that will be Epic!

Thanked by 2miu yoursunny
  • EPYC will be a massive upgrade.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

We have a few of those, no complaints.

• @PulsedMedia said:

7xx1 is not good, it chokes in multithreaded apps
    Single core is ok and benchmark like GB5 can show good points (because crypto perf on it is very good), but when you are using all cores with VMs it doesn't scale well.

See for example

Latencies are also 2x worse than on Intel.

Get cheap E5 26xx V4 or jump to Zen2 based EPYCs 7xx2.
    I don't know what prices you are getting but these chips are on old Intel level, not even Skylake. Its competitive with old Broadwell so Xeon V4, and these Xeons should be a lot cheaper.

Ryzen 5950X is another great route (even better than EPYC 7xx2) if 128GB ram is enough.

Thanked by 3desperand ralf Arkas
  • +1 on getting AMD EPYC 3rd gen Milan for better performance and less/no impact from RetBleed speculative execution attacks https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retbleed

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited September 2022

Before anyone else commit the sin of saying it. Why not...
    Since you are posting in the low end world. . .
    Why don't you use Ryzen?

:D

Edit: Somebody else said it.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited September 2022

7302P is three years old now. You may as well just get the latest processors - they shouldn't be that much more expensive.

At this point, I wonder if it's worth waiting for Zen 4, which is launching on the consumer side (Ryzen) later this month. AMD said that Zen4 (Ryzen 7000) will have 13% IPC uplift, and a 29% improvement in single-thread performance compared to Zen3 (Ryzen 5000)

Zen 4 uses a new socket (AM5) so building a new Zen 2 or Zen 3 system today will limit your future upgradeability and thus the longevity of your server.

Thanked by 1TrendyJack

@vyas11 said:
    that will be Epic!

Thanked by 1miu

@Hxxx said:
    Why don't you use Ryzen?

I have not seen the ability to do dual processors with Ryzen.

• @LittleCreek said:

@Hxxx said:
    Why don't you use Ryzen?

I have not seen the ability to do dual processors with Ryzen.

Aren't dual socket motherboards falling out of use these days? I don't see them much any more.

Thanked by 1Hxxx

@eva2000 said:
    +1 on getting AMD EPYC 3rd gen Milan for better performance and less/no impact from RetBleed speculative execution attacks https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retbleed

How about this one AMD EPYC 7313P Milan 3.0 GHz

If EPYC 7313P is satisfactory then what I want is dual processors with 512 GB of memory, maybe more if there is still enough processing room.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@LittleCreek said:
    If EPYC 7313P is satisfactory then what I want is dual processors with 512 GB of memory, maybe more if there is still enough processing room.

P indicates single processor.

Thanked by 1AXYZE

@jackb said:

@LittleCreek said:

Yes I would buy 2 of them and put onto a single board. Dual processor system.

• @LittleCreek said: How about this one AMD EPYC 7313P Milan 3.0 GHz

AMD EPYC 7xx3 are 3rd gen Milan so yes 7313P is Milan based :)

• @LittleCreek said:

@jackb said:

@LittleCreek said:

Yes I would buy 2 of them and put onto a single board. Dual processor system.

You'd need the 7313 then. The P designates that the CPU is locked to single socket only.

Thanked by 1AXYZE

@LiliLabs said:
    You'd need the 7313 then. The P designates that the CPU is locked to single socket only.

Thank you. That is valuable information.

Another question is would people be willing to pay a little more for a much better processor? Maybe $.50 or $1.00 more?

Thanked by 1nick_
  • cybertechcybertech Member
    edited September 2022

@LittleCreek said:
    Another question is would people be willing to pay a little more for a much better processor? Maybe $.50 more?

question is why not? 4vCPU of Zen 3? take my money

Thanked by 3vyas11 nick_ TrendyJack
  • That would be a great deal. I can't wait to get one.

@nick_ said:
    That would be a great deal. I can't wait to get one.

It's going to be a little while. I am still in the planning stages. Probably a couple of months.

Thanked by 2nick_ TrendyJack
  • @LittleCreek said:

@nick_ said:
    That would be a great deal. I can't wait to get one.

It's going to be a little while. I am still in the planning stages. Probably a couple of months.

Pre orders ?