Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GDPRess - Eliminate external requests to increase GDPR Compliance
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GDPRess - Eliminate external requests to increase GDPR Compliance

Just found this cool plugin that lets you eliminate external requests and replaces/downloads remote stylesheets/fonts with a local copy.
I thought I'd share this as this will probably affect various people here :)

GDPRess is developed by the same guy who also created the OMGF (Oh My Google Fonts) plugin that allows to embed Google Fonts in a GDPR-friendly way.

WHAT DOES THIS PLUGIN DO?
GDPRess scans your homepage for 3rd party scripts (JS) and stylesheets (CSS), and:

Allows you to download or exclude them from downloading,
Parses the stylesheets for loaded font files, downloads them, and rewrites the stylesheet to use the local copies,
Makes sure the local copies of each script/stylesheet are used in your site’s frontend.
In short, it makes sure no requests are made to external/embedded/3rd party scripts and stylesheets.

Comments

• Your GDPR compliance has been doubled

Thanked by 3Ympker Chuck angelius
  • It's a best practice to not load JS, CSS or fonts from third-party servers as it makes you way more vulnerable to supply chain attacks, so in a lot of cases for well-built sites this plugin won't actually do anything.

There's dynamic cases like ad networks, analytics, etc. but in those cases the vendor is already collecting data on users, and this plugin wouldn't change anything there.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Daniel15 said:
    It's a best practice to not load JS, CSS or fonts from third-party servers as it makes you way more vulnerable to supply chain attacks, so in a lot of cases for well-built sites this plugin won't actually do anything.

There's dynamic cases like ad networks, analytics, etc. but in those cases the vendor is already collecting data on users, and this plugin wouldn't change anything there.

It may be best practice, however, we are talking about WordPress. There are probably many many sites that are not optimized to the extent you are describing. Lawsuits are being filed en masse in Germany/Austria regarding Google Fonts atm., so there would be many WordPress sites that would profit from a plugin like this, still.

WordPress being the go-to CMS these days (at least judging by popularity), tries to cater to as many people as possible. As such, it became heavily reliant on plugins to add any feature you can imagine. Thing is, even as an advanced user you would still need to extensively test a plugin over a longer term to see how it behaves and what kind of data it pulls. I'd say that at least 70% of WP users don't care about this at all, though. GDPR keeps becoming more and more present and so do the automated lawsuits. A plugin like this (just like OMGF) is a way to cope with the situation and bring peace of mind. Building a WordPress site is, perhaps, a different process than coding your own website. When you code your own website, you select your tech stack, you build your own stylesheets and you carefully add fonts and external resources as you see fit. WordPress is simply another story. While you can also build your own theme with WordPress and it's usually best practice to limit plugins to a minimum, it's a different ecosystem altogether. I hope that makes sense? Not saying you are wrong, just trying to add some additional input.

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • however, we are talking about WordPress. There are probably many many sites that are not optimized to the extent you are describing.

Yeah :( I definitely agree with you there.

I guess a lot of people who don't have experience with building websites may just do it themselves using WordPress, and end up needing something like this. WordPress definitely has a nice UX that non-pros can understand. I'd be surprised if a professionally-built site would have the same issue though (I know that's not the majority use case)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited September 2022

@Daniel15 said:

however, we are talking about WordPress. There are probably many many sites that are not optimized to the extent you are describing.

Yeah :( I definitely agree with you there.

You wouldn't believe what kind of (WP) sites I have seen (not talking about the design just the shit**** of junk they load from plugins)..

I guess a lot of people who don't have experience with building websites may just do it themselves using WordPress, and end up needing something like this. WordPress definitely has a nice UX that non-pros can understand. I'd be surprised if a professionally-built site would have the same issue though (I know that's not the majority use case)

This is definitely one of the most accurate ways to describe WordPress. Easy to get started, "hard" to master. Speaking for myself, 90% of my client sites are powered by WordPress. While I sometimes yearn for a project where I can choose my setup, it's usually the best fit for the type of clients I cater to (personal sites, small-/medium-sized businesses). WordPress allows them to easily edit text/images themselves after I have done the initial setup/design of the website. However, because I am not much of a PHP guy, I, too, have to rely on the WordPress ecosystem and it's third party plugins. Auditing these, looking for recommendations and testing them to the extent that I would use them on a client site can be troublesome at times. Then again, after all these years, I have also grown to love WordPress (in a way). It's just different in its' own way and there are good reasons to go either way. That being said, once I got time, I want to re-design my personal website to be a static website using TailwindCSS. "To be continued..".

Edit: While on the "decline" there's still a sh**ton of WP sites out there and I doubt more than 70% are really "optimized": https://trends.builtwith.com/cms/WordPress

Thanked by 2Daniel15 bikegremlin
  • @Daniel15 said: It's a best practice to not load JS, CSS or fonts from third-party servers as it makes you way more vulnerable to supply chain attacks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subresource_Integrity

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

Just found this cool plugin

I like this cool plugin:

https://lowendbox.com/blog/ympkers-cool-wordpress-plugin-to-ease-gdpr-compliance/

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited September 2022

@econnreset said:

@Daniel15 said: It's a best practice to not load JS, CSS or fonts from third-party servers as it makes you way more vulnerable to supply chain attacks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subresource_Integrity

That's just designed for serving static files from a CDN. It's not really usable for third-party scripts as the third party would need to get every single user to update the hash whenever they want to change the script. If the script is really static then it'd work fine, but in thay case you can just download it and host it locally or on your own CDN.

• @Not_Oles said:

Just found this cool plugin

I like this cool plugin:

https://lowendbox.com/blog/ympkers-cool-wordpress-plugin-to-ease-gdpr-compliance/

Thanks. I have been using this on a couple of my sites and everything went smoothly. Time doesn't allow me to maintain this as a public facing plugin within the WP Plugin environment, however I use it every now and then :)

Thanked by 1Not_Oles