Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Travel adapter q
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Travel adapter q

Hi all, I am traveling to India next week from US.

I am looking for a travel adapter that will work globally. I plan to travel to IceLand, UK, Australia in the near future.

I read that India uses Type D plugs. Most adapters on Amazon don't support it. It supports Type C which is Europe and it may or may not work in India inspite of their claims.

Any recommendations please?

Thanks

Comments

• All I use is just one of those All-In-One travel adapters (example is here: https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Worldwide-Universal-Adaptor-Charging/dp/B01DJ140LQ )

You can usually find cheaper ones on Aliexpress but they take like a month to get here in the US.

But basically, just use one of those things and call it a day.

Thanked by 2plumberg netomx
  • I just strip the plug and jam the copper into the receptacle. No need to feed the corpo adapter fascist regime

• @CheepCluck said:
    I just strip the plug and jam the copper into the receptacle. No need to feed the corpo adapter fascist regime

Savage.

Now this guy fucks.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@CheepCluck said:
    I just strip the plug and jam the copper into the receptacle. No need to feed the corpo adapter fascist regime

I bring a friend during each trip.
    Each of us inserts a finger into a receptacle socket and grabs a pin on the plug.
    No need to strip the plug.

• You need a device that adapts the plug/socket AND converts the voltage both ways between 110 and "240" volt networks.

Depending on your devices you may be better off utilising USB as much as possible given how universal that shit is.

• @dahartigan said:
    You need a device that adapts the plug/socket AND converts the voltage both ways between 110 and "240" volt networks.

Depending on your devices you may be better off utilising USB as much as possible given how universal that shit is.

My devices are able to manage the voltage switch. The issue is plug/ socket

• @plumberg said:

@dahartigan said:
    You need a device that adapts the plug/socket AND converts the voltage both ways between 110 and "240" volt networks.

My devices are able to manage the voltage switch. The issue is plug/ socket

In that case you only need the adapter(s). Take your pick, there are many on the market.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @plumberg said:

I am looking for a travel adapter that will work globally. I plan to travel to IceLand, UK, Australia in the near future.

I read that India uses Type D plugs. Most adapters on Amazon don't support it. It supports Type C which is Europe and it may or may not work in India inspite of their claims.

Thanks

India do supports D, C, M plug type.
    So if you have a C type plug then it will definitely work.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

If you're staying in a +4 star hotel, then their sockets usually have provisions for many plugs.
    If not, you can just ask the receptionist to arrange an adapter for you.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @BingoBongo said:

@plumberg said:

Thanks

I have one adapter. But it looks like my us charger (original Samsung) is loose and tilts

That's what I am worried about

• @BlaZe said:
    If you're staying in a +4 star hotel, then their sockets usually have provisions for many plugs.
    If not, you can just ask the receptionist to arrange an adapter for you.

Not 4+ plus hotels...

• @plumberg said:

@BingoBongo said:

@plumberg said:

Thanks

I have one adapter. But it looks like my us charger (original Samsung) is loose and tilts

If its loose then please dont use it. Had loose US to EU cheap adapter and it literally burned itself.

Now I invested in quality all-in-one brick which has very solid quality.

• @AXYZE said:

@plumberg said:

@BingoBongo said:

@plumberg said:

Thanks

If its loose then please dont use it. Had loose US to EU cheap adapter and it literally burned itself.

Now I invested in quality all-in-one brick which has very solid quality.

Exactly. So looking for a decent one

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@yoursunny said:

@CheepCluck said:

Each of us inserts a finger into a receptacle socket and grabs a pin on the plug.

Why use fingers when you can use your tongue?

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @plumberg said:
    is loose and tilts

That's what she said.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited August 2022

@HalfEatenPie said:

@CheepCluck said:

Savage.

Now this guy fucks.

Is that the correct usage? I thought that applied when the solution is way overkill... like a $1000 Cadillac of voltage adapter/converters and then connects $10 devices to use it.

E.g "hey, check out my new homeserver to run a few VM's and adblock [picture of $6000 NVMe raid tower with water cooling]".

I think @CheepCluck falls into "Looks like we got MacGyver here" category.

• @jackb said:

That's what she said.

• @jackb said:

@yoursunny said:

@CheepCluck said:

Why use your tongue when you can use other organs used to poke things. I heard its an ancient chinese medical trick from the 8th century AD, and can you make your lower member atleast 25mm bigger*.

• @CheepCluck said:

@jackb said:

@yoursunny said:

@CheepCluck said:

Why use your tongue when you can use other organs used to poke things. I heard its an ancient chinese medical trick from the 8th century AD, and can you make your lower member atleast 25mm bigger*.

• If you're still looking I bought an adapter set at Target with 4 types for under $20. Never had a problem with using them with chargers, etc., and they were labeled with the areas they support. The all-in-ones seem a bit expensive for my tastes.

• @TimRoo said:
    If you're still looking I bought an adapter set at Target with 4 types for under $20. Never had a problem with using them with chargers, etc., and they were labeled with the areas they support. The all-in-ones seem a bit expensive for my tastes.

Can you share the item link?

• @plumberg said:

@TimRoo said:
    If you're still looking I bought an adapter set at Target with 4 types for under $20. Never had a problem with using them with chargers, etc., and they were labeled with the areas they support. The all-in-ones seem a bit expensive for my tastes.

It was basically this without the voltage adapter. It's possible they have it in store without that, or that what I bought was discontinued.

• bdlbdl Member
    edited August 2022

make sure you find all the breakers and video your experience:

• @TimRoo said:

@plumberg said:

@TimRoo said:

It was basically this without the voltage adapter. It's possible they have it in store without that, or that what I bought was discontinued.

Thnx. Will check