Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

.host TLD
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

.host TLD

Why .host TLD is not very popular among hosts? I know .com is king but I think you can still find some decent names in .host
What's your take on this?

Comments

• For me, all the new TLDs are just hype. People are equating it to new "virtual real estate" and sure maybe sometime in the future it'll be valuable. But there are so many TLDs and so many extensions that right now the supply is very high and there's little to no real demand.

.com, .net, and .org are the oldest (and most commonly used) extensions and are valued a lot higher than .host or other similar TLDs. Also, these new TLD organizations are charging for what they expect it to be worth/valued in the future... but today (when they're almost valueless). E.g. .host is around 85 dollars a year (meaning that's what they're expecting people will pay for this)... But are doing a sale to 7 dollars because noone wants it.

.com is "rent-controlled" in a way (there's a limited % price increase they're going with right now) and I don't expect them to cost 85 dollars a year renewal for a while. Also .com is worth more because it was adopted earlier and is considered a more valuable top level domain.

Basically, my opinion is that .host just isn't worth it right now.

• ralfralf Member

All these new TLDs are just additional revenue streams for the registrar. They don't serve any actual useful purpose, they just mean that companies have to buy more domains to defend their existing names from scammers.

Thanked by 3Arkas bulbasaur kiosv
  • Yeah I have seen some really crap TLDs. And this is a good point about additional headache for companies to defend their names.
    Yes .com has controlled pricing although now VeriSign is going to increase it every year by I think $0.17? but still it is much better than other rip off TLDs. I am looking at you .xyz where they charge $3000 plus (and much more) as renewal for some names. Basically just ripping people off.

• @ralf said:
    All these new TLDs are just additional revenue streams for the registrar. They don't serve any actual useful purpose, they just mean that companies have to buy more domains to defend their existing names from scammers.

I didn't want to put it that way (because "virtual real estate") but honestly... yeah.

Every new TLD that pops up I think of it like a new crypto coin project coming up... except a new TLD actually has SOME form of value (no matter how small). It's just that the price they're asking for is just completely nuts.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

All we need now is a .TLD that is in itself an NFT.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • @Arkas said:
    All we need now is a .TLD that is in itself an NFT.

I got an investment opportunity for you!

Use your NFT as a TLD!

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

boomer.host

Thanked by 3CheepCluck ariq01 ehab
  • VoidVoid Member

Someone should buy shill.host and make a site just for fun

• @yoursunny said:
    boomer.host

I...

I want this...

as an NFT.

Do you think we can turn this into an NFT project?

Add like different sandals. Different glasses. Different drinks (redbull, PBR, Monster, a glass of whiskey).

Oh my lord. Someone please turn this into an NFT project.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited August 2022

acorner.host
    boomer.host MJJ @ezeth
    coomer.host @skorupion
    doomer.host @CheepCluck
    error.host
    former.host
    goner.host
    homer.host
    idioter.host
    joker.host
    kofer.host
    loomer.host
    millennial.host @randvegeta
    noser.host
    opener.host
    pooper.host
    quoter.host
    roomer.host
    sooner.host
    toothbrusher.host
    uniformer.host
    victor.host
    whiner.host
    xoomer.host
    ycombinator.host
    zoomer.host @skorupion

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Boils down to whether you are a long-established company (.com/.net), or a newcomer with no reputation (.host), and a gullible one, having been sold on a worthless TLD, letting others convince you it was "just as good" as a .com/.net.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • @yoursunny DMCAIgnore.host I owned it :expressionless:

Thanked by 1alilet
  • Because the .host TLD is for noobs and exit scams exclusively.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited August 2022

There is the curious case of stratagem.host which are actually very good and not your typical hosting provider. As to why they went with .host I don't know. They could have gone for a different name or bought the .net
    @stratagem

Thanked by 1alilet
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

IncogNET originally started as incog.host . Interestingly enough, we're using the same layout / base design from our original site ( https://web.archive.org/web/20210120012445/https://incog.host/ ) and now.

Though now after looking at the old site, I sort of miss the simplicity.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • Sound like for localhost use...

• @yoursunny said:
    doomer.host @CheepCluck

I am more of a mong.host type of guy.

@Shamli said:
    Sound like for localhost use...

/etc/hosts or %windir%/system32/drivers/etc/hosts. is for localhost use.

• @CheepCluck

@Shamli said:
    Sound like for localhost use...

/etc/hosts or %windir%/system32/drivers/etc/hosts. is for localhost use.

Yeah...aware of that...just that the domain sounds more like to be used as localhost domain...though they are not...like .local or .test....

• I have a .host domain (sss.host)
    and i use it to resolve server's hostname.

• why not use .hosting ? B)

• @iqbal said:
    why not use .hosting ? B)

It's a money grab TLD as it costs a minimum $249 for registration

• kalipuskalipus Member
    edited August 2022

the people are just too dumb to get semantic web into their brains, but it will come with web3, so better reserve your nTLD's, prices will skyrock

for your research about current sales:
    https://dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm

notable sales from namebio (mostly they are not getting published, specially the big sales are private)
    https://namebio.com

gear.host 8,946 USD 2014-12-03 Sedo
    wiz.host 8,777 USD 2018-10-21
    web.hosting 31,344 USD 2016-01-11
    seo.hosting 0,344 USD 2016-01-19
    plus.hosting 2,444 USD 2015-03-27
    e.hosting 8,244 USD 2017-01-23
    irish.hosting 1,444 USD 2017-04-21
    dots.hosting 1,444 USD 2016-06-07
    cheap.hosting 7,171 USD
    affiliate.hosting 7,484 USD

maybe you looking for THE best .hosting domain - check it out:

https://the.hosting

best kalipus

• varxvarx Member
    edited August 2022

@kalipus said: the people are just too dumb to get semantic web into their brains

the people who think they are intellectual are often dumber than those who know they are dumb irl :smiley:

nTLDs have value because the boomers among domainers are still in business. The way internet is transforming into app-first and in some cases app-only, domains are in fact loosing the value.

I know and use many services which have domains/website just as a catalogue of their apps and don't even have the .com of the brand/trademark, which could be considered unprofessional just 5 years ago.

nTLDs on internet are more or less comparable to shitcoins in crypto world, and in a few years it will burst.

gTLDs are evergreen and gonna pass the test of time for decades.

• @kalipus said: the people are just too dumb to get semantic web into their brains,

Yeah ok. I believe you.

/s

• anyone here own local.host ?

• verovero Member, Host Rep

@alilet said:
    Why .host TLD is not very popular among hosts? I know .com is king but I think you can still find some decent names in .host

The only usage scenario for this TLD, that I can think of, would only be if: your brand name involves word "host" and respective .com TLD is already taken (but not used by web hosting company).

Also it's subjective, but in most cases .host just doesn't look right for me.

That's how .host registry presents the value of this TLD (evidently OVH doesn't share this opinion):

Thanked by 1Jake4
  • I usually prefer the generic (.com, .net, .org, .eu) and the 'country code' domain extensions. I try to choose an 'unique' name, instead a special extension (I know, sometimes not easy).

Maybe i'm wrong, but I think, most of these new domain extension, - like the .host - renewal fees has been very overpriced. Lot of new TLDs in the same hands, 'owned' or managed by the same 1-2 big Registry company. For example, Donuts manage 242 TLDs, so there is no real price (and other) competition between the similar extensions.

I would be happily register 1-3 ".chat" domain for my 'hobby project' (second/backup domain, IRC vhost, etc) but the renewal fees staring from 21USD/year, which is expensive for my goals.'Chat communities' usually not a "big business" (probably there is a few exceptions). I can't imagine why this overpriced.

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@vero said:

@alilet said:

The only usage scenario for this TLD, that I can think of, would only be if: your brand name involves word "host" and respective .com TLD is already taken (but not used by web hosting company).

Also it's subjective, but in most cases .host just doesn't look right for me.

That's how .host registry presents the value of this TLD (evidently OVH doesn't share this opinion):

Maybe we can .host domains as technical domains,(for short redirects etc).

lowend.host/freebie (eg)

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

A lot of these weird TLD's don't rank high enough and are generally shady in my opinion :) Weird TLD's generally have short domain names available, though