Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Standard Notes sync-server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Standard Notes sync-server

I've been trying for weeks to install a standard Notes server so I can use it to sync standard Notes myself instead of using their service. I've used yunohost to install, but don't want to use yunohost.

I was was wondering if anyone could help or might know more about docker and install for me.
I've gone through about 3 guides found via Google, but they all failed.

I'm trying to install on a VPS.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• What struggles did you run into with their official guide? https://docs.standardnotes.com/self-hosting/docker
    I haven't tried this in a while but last time I did the guide worked fine. Do you get any particular errors or pieces not working?

• @Erisa said:
    What struggles did you run into with their official guide? https://docs.standardnotes.com/self-hosting/docker
    I haven't tried this in a while but last time I did the guide worked fine. Do you get any particular errors or pieces not working?

Darn, I can't remember the errors, but just said failed towards the end. I did have one success
    But could not figure out how to connect to the server. I used Ubuntu from my VPS provider which included docker when you install Ubuntu.

They were giving instructions to connect as localhost, but that doesn't work with a VPS. I even tried the IP of the VPS with various ports.

Thanks so much for replying!

• melp57melp57 Member
    edited August 2022

This part below when entering did nothing, just froze. Have no idea what is for. Seems like it is not for Linux, but Mac?

Generate random values for the necessary environment variables:

sed -i "s/auth_jwt_secret/$(openssl rand -hex 32)/g" .env
    sed -i "s/secret/$(openssl rand -hex 32)/g" docker/auth.env
    sed -i "s/legacy_jwt_secret/$(openssl rand -hex 32)/g" docker/auth.env
    sed -i "s/secret_key/$(openssl rand -hex 32)/g" docker/auth.env
    sed -i "s/server_key/$(openssl rand -hex 32)/g" docker/auth.env

• Hey there! Setting up your own Notes server is a rewarding challenge. 🚀 If you're exploring Docker, that's a great path to follow.

• @BronsonWise said:
    Hey there! Setting up your own Notes server is a rewarding challenge. 🚀 If you're exploring Docker, that's a great path to follow.

Don't necro.

@melp57 there isn't output from sed commands, usually. It's editing file based on search and replace.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@TimboJones said: Don't necro.

He joined today and has one suspicious post.

Thanked by 1bdl
  • BronsonWiseBronsonWise Member
    edited August 2023

@BronsonWise said:
    Hey there! Setting up your own Notes server is a rewarding challenge. 🚀 If you're exploring Docker, that's a great path to follow.

Installing your own Notes server is a cool project. Docker might be the way to go for a smoother setup. Don't worry if you've hit some roadblocks – we've all been there! Check out [REDACTED] , they've got tips and guides on Docker installations that might be just what you need. Remember, persistence pays off. You'll get that server up and running in no time. Good luck, and happy tinkering on your VPS! 🛠️🚀