Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

โ€บ I did something very weird - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I did something very weird

2ยป

Comments

• @Ympker said:
    That's maybe not as drastic a step as yours, but a long while ago I decided I don't wanna self-host my webhosting/WordPress websites anymore and opted for shared hosting for convenience. Wouldn't wanna go back.

๐Ÿ˜ Same, I was hosting all my websites and clients in servers that I manage myself, then I switch back to Reseller hosting.

But I keep few servers running for test and learn more ๐Ÿ™

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Apart from video, what did you switch to from self hosted alternatives?

• @dosai said:

@vitobotta said:
    I just subscribed to Netflix, Apple TV, Disney+, HBO Max, Prime Video, YouTube Premium to replace my previous Plex setup. It's more or less the same price of the dedi I was using with Hetzner LOL

I ran my Plex on buyvm's 512MB RAM. If there is a will, there is a way.

I am sure you watched in high quality/resolution and with hardware acceleration, right?> @ehab said:

@vitobotta said:
    I just subscribed to Netflix, Apple TV, Disney+, HBO Max, Prime Video, YouTube Premium to replace my previous Plex setup. It's more or less the same price of the dedi I was using with Hetzner LOL

you have time to watch all those?

Now I will :D Before I was spending time tinkering and not watching lol

@comXyz said:

@vitobotta said:

Why do you need an expensive dedi for Plex if you only use it for yourself, and maybe just few more friends?

I never managed to watch at high resolution with a vps and also with a dedi I could enable the GPU.

• @Astro said:
    Apart from video, what did you switch to from self hosted alternatives?

Various things, like some web apps of my own, analytics, task management, notes, Nextcloud, read it later thingy, budgeting

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited August 2022

@dosai this is why we can't have nice things...you... on buyvm... running plex on a shared vCore, actually a thread with 512MB, using that SWAP on Fire.

did it last?

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @Hxxx said: @dosai this is why we can't have nice things...you... on buyvm... running plex on a shared vCore, actually a thread with 512MB, using that SWAP on Fire.

You know that Plex (well I personally prefer and use Jellyfin) consumes no resources if you stream directly without transcoding, right? The files are served over the standard nginx socket, at least in Jellyfin, which I believe should be the same for Plex. Transcoding is what hogs the CPU.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@luckypenguin said:

@Hxxx said: @dosai this is why we can't have nice things...you... on buyvm... running plex on a shared vCore, actually a thread with 512MB, using that SWAP on Fire.

You know that Plex (well I personally prefer and use Jellyfin) consumes no resources if you stream directly without transcoding, right? The files are served over the standard nginx socket, at least in Jellyfin, which I believe should be the same for Plex. Transcoding is what hogs the CPU.

I don't have Plex or Jellyfin.
    I copy the URI into VLC app and let it play.

Without transcoding, the difficulty is that sometimes the downloaded file is too big, especially those from private trackers.
    I've seen 15 GB for one hour of content.
    My poor tablet and Fast Ethernet connection cannot handle it.

• luckypenguinluckypenguin Member
    edited August 2022

@yoursunny said: Without transcoding, the difficulty is that sometimes the downloaded file is too big, especially those from private trackers.

I've seen 15 GB for one hour of content.
    My poor tablet and Fast Ethernet connection cannot handle it.

Let me introduce you to the world of BD 4K remuxes, which I download from Usenet (maybe they have them on private trackers but I hate torrents and the ratio bullshit) so normally a movie for me is a 60GB mkv file for 90min. But you must have a fiber connection, at least 150mbit to be able to play it while "streaming" without any transcoding stuff going around.
    My only bottleneck is that I'm lazy sometimes and I watch it on my Macbook 15" instead of the home TV. But that's something fileformats and network can never fix :)

2022 releases, sorted by size.

• @vitobotta said:

@comXyz said:
    Why do you need an expensive dedi for Plex if you only use it for yourself, and maybe just few more friends?

I never managed to watch at high resolution with a vps and also with a dedi I could enable the GPU.

Plex is one of those things that, to me, just never made sense to host in a datacenter unless you're trying to serve tv to a gang of people. If you're mostly watching at home, just run plex on a home server / NAS / etc, and if you can't/don't want to source content from your home, use a much cheaper VPS to download and sync to your home. I'm back to plex again after a few years of legit streaming because the shows I watch are spread out across so many services that isn't not convenient at all.

Thanked by 1Liso
  • tjntjn Member

I get you @vitobotta !

I thought about doing the same, but when I switched to docker, everything became 99% easier. I went from spending hours tinkering with things to just pulling docker images and getting everything up and running in minutes. If it breaks, I trash it and pull a new image.

Locking everything down behind CF and ditching Nextcloud for Seafile, made life a lot easier too. On the Plex side, I don't transcode anything so it barely uses any resources.

Passwords/vault are hosted, and of course, email is Google and @jar 's problem ;)

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @tjn said: Passwords/vault are hosted, and of course, email is Google and @jar 's problem

Out of complete curiosity and horribly derailing the thread, @jar are you planning
    to offer self hosted email solutions, with KVM and such, using you as another pipe
    so to say, or is your service is "fully managed", i.e. I can read your emails if I wish to ;)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2022

@luckypenguin said:

@tjn said: Passwords/vault are hosted, and of course, email is Google and @jar 's problem

Out of complete curiosity and horribly derailing the thread, @jar are you planning
    to offer self hosted email solutions, with KVM and such, using you as another pipe
    so to say, or is your service is "fully managed", i.e. I can read your emails if I wish to ;)

I don't think it fits well if I don't manage, because I'd be null routing IPs like candy and telling customers to deal with stuff that they really don't know how to deal with. It's why I've been hesitant to tell people to just configure their big cpanel boxes to relay through me. Much easier to handle abuse when I manage the server, and I'm afraid that not handling abuse like I do would cross out my strongest market position.

For these little mailinabox systems people do it's not too much of an issue, but if someone packs it in with a few hundred customers they're far too likely to see me block all of their customers at once to halt one abuse case. Since they would get to choose whether or not to write headers that I can use for a targeted block, and several people do desire the removal of those headers (x-auth-user for example)

I haven't the time to read your email though. I'm lucky to get done everything I want to do in a day. Plus if I read it, and that's found out through a forensic audit, I can be held legally liable for it's contents.

• I went through this last year, but I'm keeping an eye on Pikapods. @m4nu

Thanked by 1m4nu
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@jar said:
    I haven't the time to read your email though. I'm lucky to get done everything I want to do in a day. Plus if I read it, and that's found out through a forensic audit, I can be held legally liable for it's contents.

Where does your disc pic collection come from?

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jar said: I don't think it fits well if I don't manage, because I'd be null routing IPs like candy and telling customers to deal with stuff that they really don't know how to deal with. It's why I've been hesitant to tell people to just configure their big cpanel boxes to relay through me. Much easier to handle abuse when I manage the server, and I'm afraid that not handling abuse like I do would cross out my strongest market position.

No, don't get too philosophic about that, I'm well aware what it takes to open your IPs to "open outbound relay", if we can call it so.
    But if you build your IP reputation well enough, and willing to on-board customers with personal boxes but some privacy concerns ;) Well, you might think it might be an option. After all, if you
    are cheaper than getting a BuyVM 512M slice, and you only need 128MB for email and IPv4,
    and your IP reputation is great...I don't see why there won't be a reason to offer it to a few customers first, as a pilot, and then really cherry pick the ones who never cause you trouble.
    I might be one of them, but at this point it's not possible, so...
    I'm talking about an entire /24 which sends less than 1k mails per day/IP, mostly transactional,
    but they want their full MTA (My MTA is OpenSMTPd) with their own rules.
    I guess we have to take it offline, going way off topic here.

Thanked by 1jar

@yoursunny said:

@jar said:

Where does your disc pic collection come from?

That's all just you but I'm pretty sure a few of mine are in there too.

edited August 2022

@luckypenguin said:

@jar said: I don't think it fits well if I don't manage, because I'd be null routing IPs like candy and telling customers to deal with stuff that they really don't know how to deal with. It's why I've been hesitant to tell people to just configure their big cpanel boxes to relay through me. Much easier to handle abuse when I manage the server, and I'm afraid that not handling abuse like I do would cross out my strongest market position.

No, don't get too philosophic about that, I'm well aware what it takes to open your IPs to "open outbound relay", if we can call it so.
    But if you build your IP reputation well enough, and willing to on-board customers with personal boxes but some privacy concerns ;) Well, you might think it might be an option. After all, if you
    are cheaper than getting a BuyVM 512M slice, and you only need 128MB for email and IPv4,
    and your IP reputation is great...I don't see why there won't be a reason to offer it to a few customers first, as a pilot, and then really cherry pick the ones who never cause you trouble.
    I might be one of them, but at this point it's not possible, so...
    I'm talking about an entire /24 which sends less than 1k mails per day/IP, mostly transactional,
    but they want their full MTA (My MTA is OpenSMTPd) with their own rules.
    I guess we have to take it offline, going way off topic here.

I also want to do managed dedicated servers but that's where you see the business plan break. A single shared server generates roughly $15k/year in revenue but I feel like an ass quoting anyone a number worth adding to the fleet. The people who could afford it, I feel like they'd deserve and demand a higher quality of front end.

• @raindog308 said:
    Cooking is the single most stressful experience on the planet for me. Managing multiple tasks. Time pressure. Uncertainty of outcome. Lots of micro judgment calls and the whole outcome rides on them. People waiting to judge.

I've jumped out of a plane. I've been in a datacenter when it suddenly went dark. I've performed CPR. None of them are as stressful as cooking.

Dafuq? They have TV shows with 8-year olds cooking gourmet. You should have been taught how to cook before you could grow hair on your balls at the latest.

You remind me when I slept over to a friend's house when I was 13 and his mom gave us money to go out for breakfast because she didn't want him to use the toaster.

I'd judge you harder not cooking at all than burning food up bad.

• @jar said:
    Today a server hit 90% iowait and it can't write mail to the array as quickly as it's coming in. The drives report fine, I suspect the raid controller is screwed. But the data center team are pulling it down to take a look at it and see if we need to replace hardware. Looking at downtime being unavoidable. Never had to deal with this as a Dropbox customer, but this will likely be half of my day today, just saying.

I've recently realized my temperature monitoring was lacking and causing significant throttling. The LSI monitoring is garbage and not great for production, IMO. I've added PCI fans and dropped temps on the RAID controller by 15-20*C. Trying premium TIM on the heatsink didn't do much but the fan really did. They're really expecting airplane engine sounding fans in closed rack servers for high air flow and don't do so well in consumer boxes.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Hxxx said:
    @dosai this is why we can't have nice things...you... on buyvm... running plex on a shared vCore, actually a thread with 512MB, using that SWAP on Fire.

did it last?

I disabled video transcoding so cpu takes 0 load.

Thanked by 1luckypenguin
  • cpsdcpsd Member

@vitobotta said:

Today i am thinking about doing the opposite.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • 5 days and I miss it all already

• tjntjn Member

Too much free time? ๐Ÿ˜‚