Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Errors when choosing a provider
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Errors when choosing a provider

Hello everyone, I'm new, now I'm looking for a new provider for my project. I would like to know by what criteria you choose a provider. How to avoid scammers? What is worth paying attention to?
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited August 2022

A provider whose website gives 404 Error is best avoided.

That's all you need to care about as first step. Rest is menusha

Thanked by 1hamstry
  • @vyas11 said:

A provider whose website gives 404 Error is best avoided.

That's all you need to care about as first step. Rest is menusha

Hahaha, this is good advice, but I'm not that noob. I'm more worried about the problem of low-quality server hardware that is slipped over the overpriced, inadequate content control, etc.

• jtkjtk Member

@hamstry said:
    I would like to know by what criteria you choose a provider. How to avoid scammers? What is worth paying attention to?

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/93602/what-to-look-for-in-a-leb-provider

Thanked by 1hamstry
  • afnafn Member
    edited August 2022

Avoid providers with Too good to be true prices, example : viasky, hostsolutions, etc

Some providers offer good value for money, but questionable bad practices, so if the price is worth it to you tune your expectations, example Pulsedmedia, with cheap storage, but some people here complain about their support. Hetzner for dedis, but they lack transparency and poor communication skills.
    Walkerservers for cheap big 10g servers, but they had some juicy piracy court stuff about a year ago so maybe you may not want to be on the list of his customers or people associated to them. Terrahost is great, but do you trust a company now owned by Rob monster? (up to you really, not implying anything against them)

So if you want to go there, always have a backup outside, and be ready to pack and leave any day.

Always type the name of the provider here in the search engine before you buy, chances are someone already talked about them in this forum. Do not fall for "reviews" specially outside LET (but on LET too) sometimes these people are maniac fanboys or simply fake/paid.

Are you looking for a VPS or a dedi? Tips may vary slightly

If you can provide "fake" client information (but credible and coherent enough), it is better, but check ToS,etc, most are fine with fake data if you pay crypto. Keep in mind, almost all providers are subject to data leaks, no matter what they do. Even DO and twitter suffer from shit like that.

Thanked by 1hamstry
  • tjntjn Member

It might also be worth telling us what resources your project requires or what specifically you’re looking for that way we can recommend providers as a community. VPS? Dedicated server? Location?

Personally, I always look for reviews, a contact address, if the company is a legally registered entity, how their T&C’s are worded, how long they’ve been trading, etc…

Thanked by 1hamstry
  • @afn said:
    Avoid providers with Too good to be true prices, example : viasky, hostsolutions, etc

Some providers offer good value for money, but questionable bad practices, so if the price is worth it to you tune your expectations, example Pulsedmedia, with cheap storage, but some people here complain about their support. Hetzner for dedis, but they lack transparency and poor communication skills.
    Walkerservers for cheap big 10g servers, but they had some juicy piracy court stuff about a year ago so maybe you may not want to be on the list of his customers or people associated to them. Terrahost is great, but do you trust a company now owned by Rob monster? (up to you really, not implying anything against them)

So if you want to go there, always have a backup outside, and be ready to pack and leave any day.

Always type the name of the provider here in the search engine before you buy, chances are someone already talked about them in this forum. Do not fall for "reviews" specially outside LET (but on LET too) sometimes these people are maniac fanboys or simply fake/paid.

If you can provide "fake" client information (but credible and coherent enough), it is better, but check ToS,etc, most are fine with fake data if you pay crypto. Keep in mind, almost all providers are subject to data leaks, no matter what they do. Even DO and twitter suffer from shit like that.

Thank you for such a detailed answer, I want to launch a site similar to a blog, with my experience in IT, with different sections that help developers look for some interesting solutions, patterns, plugins, video tutorials, etc. Since it seems to me that regular hosting cannot cope with such a volume of data, I lean more towards VPS, but it is desirable that the provider does not use my personal data or uses, but the minimum amount, do you have any recommendations on this?

• @tjn said:
    It might also be worth telling us what resources your project requires or what specifically you’re looking for that way we can recommend providers as a community. VPS? Dedicated server? Location?

Personally, I always look for reviews, a contact address, if the company is a legally registered entity, how their T&C’s are worded, how long they’ve been trading, etc…

I don’t care about any specific location, I just need good speed, and VPS DDoS protection (for SEO).

• HxxxHxxx Member

Your first mistake is to over buy resources that you don't need.
    You haven't launched yet you are looking for a VPS because of resources concerns...

1. Launch with a decent shared hosting provider. Depending on the quality and provider... your shared hosting account might be or will be faster than a cheap VPS.
    2. Assuming you are using WordPress, if in doubt of what hosting provider to choose, pic from one of their recommended hosting providers, they have a page listing a few.
    3. Never buy too cheap.

My recommendation, I'd say KnownHost and BigScoots , they are good providers

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited August 2022

You can check opinions below offers and also ask us what we think about exact provider.

Some of them may look professional and don't raise red flags, but after you get your service they might have very slow support - HostHatch as a example.
    Some of them may have bad designed site or bad designed logo, but they have premium support - GreenCloudVPS is such example.

If its lowend they need to cheapout on something, remember that. There's no way provider that does $20-$40/yr deals will have everything on good level.

RackNerd on first look looks professional, has fast support, well designed site and nice logo... but founders have... questionable past.

There's always something not nice and you must decide what problem will not affect you or affect you the least.

My recommended providers are
    Top tier: PHP-Friends, netcup, SEOHost (Polish provider, $20/yr gives you 10GB NVMe LiteSpeed hosting with 325MB/s IO limit compared to usual 10-50MB/s at this price, 8GB ram, 200% Epyc2 CPU, if someone is interested I can make 25% coupon for it on private message)
    Best value: GreenCloudVPS, Racknerd

I would use top tier providers for important stuff that makes me money and value stuff for hobby projects or non-profit stuff.

Thanked by 1nick_
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2022

Spend like 2 hours reading threads in #providers and #requests.
    by the end of 2 hours you'll know which provider to go with.

p.s try ihostart

• @hamstry said:

@afn said:

Thank you for such a detailed answer, I want to launch a site similar to a blog, with my experience in IT, with different sections that help developers look for some interesting solutions, patterns, plugins, video tutorials, etc. Since it seems to me that regular hosting cannot cope with such a volume of data, I lean more towards VPS, but it is desirable that the provider does not use my personal data or uses, but the minimum amount, do you have any recommendations on this?

Which CMS will you use for the blog? Why not consider a CDN for media? Why load (Overload) the server hosting the site?

• afnafn Member

I don't know much about your project, so can't really give an exact suggestion. But @AXYZE gave some good suggestions.

I am personally a buyVM fan, no much hassle, no marketing BS, no lies. no offers and therefore random delays depending on what offers they have. things are usually stable and support is ok. They have a fraud detection activated on checkout to reduce ricks, Just provide real info, ip has to match selected country, don't use vpn etc if paying by card/PayPal. If You pay crypto, put anything you want.

Maybe you can start from there.

Netcup is not bad neither, but may require ID verification. they have some "hidden" offers, aff promos etc with netcup, so you might want to check that if you decide to go with them.

• emgemg Veteran

@AXYZE said: RackNerd on first look looks professional, has fast support, well designed site and nice logo... but founders have... questionable past.

... and future. :-(