Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can You Code? Maybe We Want to Hire You!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can You Code? Maybe We Want to Hire You!

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
edited September 2022 in General

Do you remember ServerBear?

It was a site where you could submit benchmarks (this predates YABS, but similar-style benchmark) and SB kept them all in a giant sortable, searchable database. The front page showed leaders in different categories and you could look up any server or provider and see reports. This also allowed for some interesting network maps and information (e.g., if you want a host with excellent connectivity to ${SOMEPLACE} and you have a database of how different providers' networks perform, it's a simple query).

We've had the idea to recreate this platform. To my knowledge, there is nothing exactly like it and it could be a very valuable resource for the community.

This project will take someone with coding chops among several disciplines, including a design for the site (probably using long-dead SB as a starting point), code to process the incoming benchmarks, database code, etc.

We really haven't gone much further with the concept so it's open to some interpretation, but I think "recreating ServerBear" with the Wayback link above (plus the obviously implied work of processing benchmarks and a database for them) should give people enough of a concept.

If you're interested, please PM me. What I'd want to know is

• your background and skills
  • links to projects and sites you've worked on, references, etc.
  • some idea of how you would attack this project
  • how long you think this project might take and what your rates are

Thank you!

Comments

• lowendclientlowendclient Member
    edited August 2022

Sounds interesting

• https://serverscope.io/ used to be good for benchmarks... It's kinda broken now. They didn't do network maps, but I wonder if you could buy their code/IP and build on top of that. Would probably end up cheaper than building it from scratch.

• LeviLevi Member

No real need for such solution. I had an idea to make sb v2, but it does not worth the hassle. To many os to support without real avenue for income. Better just keep pumping seo crap in lowendbox, eventually it will start to pay off.

• LeeLee Veteran

If there was a need for this then anyone that could do it should do it for themselves and make the money LET/LEB wants to make from it.

• @Lee said:
    If there was a need for this then anyone that could do it should do it for themselves and make the money LET/LEB wants to make from it.

@LTniger said: without real avenue for income.

I imagine the value for it would be to drive more traffic to LET/LEB, leverage their existing relationships with (purple) hosting providers, and grow the value of LE* as a comprehensive server buying experience.

That's not an avenue that anyone can get value from.

My suggestion would be to open source the code (while still hiring someone). The code isn't where the value in this is and it would open up the opportunity for some of the coders around here to contribute. Or more likely try to find anything wrong with it, which is still useful.

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep
  • bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited August 2022

What would be the benchmark of your preference? You'd at least have to make an about face if you choose YABS, since you made a few LEB posts trashing it.

• adlyadly Veteran

@stevewatson301 said:
    What would be the benchmark of your preference? You'd at least have to make an about face if you choose YABS, since you made a few LEB posts trashing it.

vpsbench/vpsb, of course. 🫢

Thanked by 2bulbasaur yoursunny
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@stevewatson301 said: You'd at least have to make an about face if you choose YABS, since you made a few LEB posts trashing it.

I wonder...if I call you out as an incompetent liar just one more time, will you admit that you have no clue what you're talking about? I mean, you've been exposed multiple times already and all you do is scurry away and pretend it didn't happen...but what the heck...

Please list the multiple LEB posts where I have "trashed" YABS.

According to you:

• there are multiple times when I've done this
    • I have explicitly trashed YABS, so this can't be some minor comment. There are apparently some pretty horrible things I've said about YABS.

I've mentioned YABS on LEB twice:

But apparently my memory and Google are faulty, so here you go @stevewatson301, let's see the list of multiple LEB posts where I have trashed YABS.

Oh, and also you can explain why I didn't censor Tom's post on LEB about how to use YABS since I'm on such a crusade.

What do you think the odds are that you'll apologize now that you've been called out again for being a liar?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@adly said:

@stevewatson301 said:

vpsbench/vpsb, of course. 🫢

Even better:

function benchmark() {
      return 2000 * (1 - distance(this.provider.color, "#a020f0"));
    }

Thanked by 3adly MannDude bulbasaur
  • I don't think benchmarks are actual today as they were when serverbear was alive, and when
    most providers offered crappy oversold OpenVZ containers, so without a reference it would be
    hard to know what you are getting. With KVM and somewhat dedicated resources, together with competent admins at the provider, even YABS is sort of redundant. I mean, we know the CPU type
    and it's score, we know the RAM which unlike OpenVZ is guaranteed, we know the disk type etc.
    I'm talking about when a provider posts an offer. Only the network is the tricky part, and for that I use https://looking.house/points.php for pings, traceroutes and mtrs from most parts of the world.

• I feel like that's bait and switch. There's several different ideas I was expecting than that.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited August 2022

@TimboJones said:

I feel like that's bait and switch. There's several different ideas I was expecting than that.

You're right. I was thinking a photoshopped tittie on top of a picture of servers on a rack.

5:22

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2022

I guess LET has now enough money, they want to invest, nothing wrong in that. Probably few may have already applied for it but I am not sure they will be get much for it. Why not ask @Liso to make use of his benchy.pw script for this purpose.

• LeeLee Veteran

@HackedServer said: I imagine the value for it would be to drive more traffic to LET/LEB, leverage their existing relationships with (purple) hosting providers, and grow the value of LE* as a comprehensive server buying experience.

Possibly. My suggestion was not a dig at @raindog308's request. Just that if someone was able to do all of what is being asked for themselves there could be an opportunity for them. But I am sure there is plenty out there that will do it who have no interest in doing it for themselves.

• ralfralf Member

@raindog308 said:
    What do you think the odds are that you'll apologize now that you've been called out again for being a liar?

:D

• @raindog308 said: I have explicitly trashed YABS, so this can't be some minor comment. There are apparently some pretty horrible things I've said about YABS.

If I put out an article that states "cars can't fly like airplanes" as a "problem" with cars, I don't think that could be considered as valid criticism as you're comparing apples and oranges at this point?

Everyone knows that a benchmark program can't quantify support experiences, or the security of underlying hosts, and no one expects it to do that either. Putting it under an article entitled "The problem with benchmarks" seems to suggest that there is something fundamentally wrong with running a benchmark itself, and since you only happened to mention YABS (but not other benchmarking programs that happened to be semi-popular, such as vpsbench which at least was well-liked by some community members, but also bench.monster) as an opinion against the program itself.

@raindog308 said: What do you think the odds are that you'll apologize now that you've been called out again for being a liar?

Re-reading your article, I'll just say there's a more charitable explanation for why only YABS was mentioned in the article — popularity.

I still don't think it's a particularly good article, just that "trashed YABS" isn't quite the right assessment, it just belongs to a few other categories such as "you don't know what you're talking about" and "I need to write something, anything for the the money."

@raindog308 said: Oh, and also you can explain why I didn't censor Tom's post on LEB about how to use YABS since I'm on such a crusade.

I hope you can see why statements such as "If I'm a burglar, tell me why I haven't burgled these homes" isn't the killer argument that you had expected it to be, and why it's logically fallacious. Given favorable and expedient circumstances, I'm sure you could.

I also see this is the second time you've been trying to pull this shit on me, the first time being when I questioned why LET management might have offered MannDude a mod position on LET. Things aren't usually black and white, and folks at LET might just have been so desperate that they'd just rather have someone as a mod, even though the candidate:

• operated their own forum that competed with this place
    • helped make "pointless bump" a part of LET lexicon, and
    • did some things that were so disagreeable that they were sent legal notices over posts on a forum they ran.
    Thanked by 2TimboJones elngoom
  • ronaldgrnronaldgrn Member
    edited August 2022

hmmm, a few years back I spent a weekend writing https://vpscritic.com

It doesn't use vpsbench but the automatic 1-liner to published works 🤷