Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ihostart is going to remove all data by 8/13 for moving nodes - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ihostart is going to remove all data by 8/13 for moving nodes

Comments

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited August 2022

@HostSlick said:

@cold said:

@default said:

@cold said:

@HostSlick said:
    We just planned a flight to Russia to reduce power costs. All servers will be loaded on the Plane shortly and moved to Russia to reduce Power costs
    Please bare with us.

how much downtime do you expect ?

I believe it depends on the internet connection inside the plane.

maybe he can get a few prepay sims from Romania, cuz u het a lot of internet for 5 Euro... and make 2 3 smart phones mobile hotspots...

Good idea.
    I need 20-30Gbit capacity in plane.
    Can you prepare all the Phones and SIM? Need Many. Thx.

You really want to crash that plane, don't you?

EDIT: Or maybe, you have some partnership with NATO for ensured shipping, while also transporting a nuke onto Russian soil for them...

• coldcold Member

@default said:

@cold said:

@default said:

@cold said:

@HostSlick said:
    We just planned a flight to Russia to reduce power costs. All servers will be loaded on the Plane shortly and moved to Russia to reduce Power costs
    Please bare with us.

how much downtime do you expect ?

I believe it depends on the internet connection inside the plane.

maybe he can get a few prepay sims from Romania, cuz u het a lot of internet for 5 Euro... and make 2 3 smart phones mobile hotspots...

That is not a good idea. The extremely high speed of all that mobile data transfer could interfere with the communications and electronics of the plane. We don't want to crash the plane and lose all customer's data which is of utmost importance for the business.

YOU ARE SOOOO RIGHT !!!

• LeviLevi Member

Datacenter with backbone of 4G mobile internet. Entire new level of service. Beyond eco, green or whatever. If in need, you can lift off all damn servers and run free from law enforcement. For days, months, even decades. The true "bunker".

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2022

Hello @dpt0000 , Yes, we didn't think about this, when it comes to our uplink, we're talking about over 200+ TB of data, if you don't manage to make a backup in time, it's no problem, write on discord what progress you are with the backup and we can wait for you and other customers to finish backup. My discord it's: Stapinu#0670
    Regarding this backup, we do this to save energy, and not to raise prices, see here a more detailed text about our ideas to not raise prices and keep the same prices and the same quality

Details)

As you are aware with the spike in global/international rate of electricity which is affecting every business. The rate for electricity is fluctuating and rising by the day - 8 months ago we were roughly paying €0.14 cents per KWh, and now we are paying as high as €0.62 cents per KWh (continuing to increase).

In order to maintain our cheap packages and pricing, we are planning a node upgrade which will only affect storage related nodes for now. In the upcoming days you will receive an email with more details regarding this update and critical information regarding downtime so you can plan ahead.

We plan to apply for some ECO Projects as well as plan to replace our current supplier with an ECO friendly supplier. This should have gone into affect by the end of this month, however the bureaucracy has put a hold onto our project therefore adding a further delay of 3-4 months (or more).

Some of our ideas to reduce overall power consumption at our datacenter for not to increase the price:

• We plan to implement a few larger nodes for storage. At the moment we only have 48 TB per node but we will be upgrading our storage to 96 TB per node - therefore a decrease in the total amount of available nodes.

• We plan to cut down on CPUs by removing at least 1 CPU from 70% of our available nodes

• We plan to set all servers from Maximum Power Usage to save on power

We are quite upset and we can understand your concerns. This is not something that we want to do however to ensure that we can maintain our pricing and service quality, it is a step that we must take.

Regards,
    Calin

• @Calin said:
    Some of our ideas to reduce overall power consumption at our datacenter for not to increase the price:

Does this "datacenter" happen to be located in your bedroom?

Thanked by 1gzz
  • RapToNRapToN Member, Host Rep

Viewed as a customer, I find the announcement absolutely unacceptable.
    Fortunately, I am not a customer.

If the data is not moved, it should be announced at least one month in advance.
    Even so, I think it is extremely poor customer service.

Thanked by 1tjn

Hello @RapToN , thanks for your feedback , I'm just trying to reduce electricity costs, without raising prices, to maintain these prices, unfortunately, this must be done , for moved hdds in other big nodes

• @Calin said:
    Hello @RapToN , thanks for your feedback , I'm just trying to reduce electricity costs, without raising prices, to maintain these prices, unfortunately, this must be done , for moved hdds in other big nodes

I understand the need to maintain prices but you seem to be missing the problem. You have provided customers with a very critical problem, and only 2 days for them to resolve it. As the provider, you should be migrating the data for them and frankly I'm not sure why you wouldn't just do this, but by giving them so little time to do so you're making it clear that your customer's stored data is not year responsibility, as well as ruining the trustworthiness of your company.

Thanked by 3RapToN default Hotmarer
  • luckypenguinluckypenguin Member
    edited August 2022

Why would customers need to "migrate data" over the internet, and then put it back on your HDDs (if they still want to use your services after such surprises) when you could just move the HDDs to
    a new node/rack/NAS a few meters away inside your garage datacenter on different hardware?
    Makes no sense to me.

As I said above.If the client did not have time to finish moving the data and make a backup we can write to us on email or on discord, and we'll wait until the backup is ready.

As for us moving the data and not the client, unfortunately it is impossible, since we are talking about over 200 TB of raw data

Those who have nowhere to move their data, and had to buy a temporary VPS from another party, can make a ticket on the website and we will give them extra free weeks, for customers no lost money

@luckypenguin Unfortunately it is not possible, because we have to rebuild the raid and there is a very high chance of losing data, so we better notify customers for this

• luckypenguinluckypenguin Member
    edited August 2022

@Calin said: we have to rebuild the raid and there is a very high chance of losing data, so we better notify customers for this

No there isn't. Since you clone the old disks before you make any experiments, while having your
    customer's disks as a master copy. Then if everything works, you can wipe them or utilize them
    on other nodes. That's what a professional company would do. Or you don't have enough disks to
    perform such opportunistic sudden migration?

/
    Anyway the damage you could make to your reputation could potentially cost more than you might
    save on electricity. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited August 2022

@luckypenguin said:
    [...] you don't have enough disks to perform such opportunistic sudden migration?

OH NO! The HDDs!
    NOT INVOLUCRATION!
    NOT AGAIN!

• LeviLevi Member

@default said:

@luckypenguin said:
    [...] you don't have enough disks to perform such opportunistic sudden migration?

OH NO! The HDDs!
    NOT INVOLUCRATION!
    NOT AGAIN!

Already monitoring olx.ro . Does he have IP space to sell?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Calin said:
    As I said above.If the client did not have time to finish moving the data and make a backup we can write to us on email or on discord, and we'll wait until the backup is ready.

As for us moving the data and not the client, unfortunately it is impossible, since we are talking about over 200 TB of raw data

Suppose your basement has a 10 Gbps uplink, it can egress 4500 GB data per hour.
    To egress 200 TB of raw data, it takes 45 hours.

You gave 48 hour notice.
    If the average customer waited more than 3 hours before (1) obtaining a backup VPS elsewhere (2) starting the transfer job, it's impossible to finish in time.

Instead, YOU should rent a 200 TB storage FTP space and upload everything in 45 hours; NetDynamics24, for example, can arrange such rentals.
    After moving the drives, you can then download everything in another 45 hours.
    This requires a 4-day maintenance window, but doesn't otherwise stress out the customers.

Hello, after more research, we realized that the time for creating a backup is too short, so we decided to move the data deletion date to 8/22/2022 so that all customers can start making backups, after that date all the data will be deleted, and we will start to rebuild the VPSs on the new nodes, in a maximum of 2 days all the VPSs will come back online with the same specifications and the same resources

Regards,
    Calin

• tjntjn Member

This is quite funny

Thanked by 1PineappleBox
  • ralfralf Member

Maybe you should rethink the whole thing.

If you have one spare machine and spare disks, you can migrate people incrementally without any panic or stress on their part.

Please tell me you have spare disks and spare hardware in case something breaks? (Actually, I suspect I already know the answer to that)

Thanked by 1yoursunny

@ralf We have spare hardware but not that much, we thought of a solution to rent some storage servers to give people temporary VPSs to make backups but budget it s not big.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited August 2022

@Calin said:
    Hello, after more research, we realized that the time for creating a backup is too short, so we decided to move the data deletion date to 8/22/2022 so that all customers can start making backups, after that date all the data will be deleted, and we will start to rebuild the VPSs on the new nodes, in a maximum of 2 days all the VPSs will come back online with the same specifications and the same resources

Regards,
    Calin

LOL

@Calin said: Those who have nowhere to move their data, and had to buy a temporary VPS from another party, can make a ticket on the website and we will give them extra free weeks, for customers no lost money

Sounds like a GREAT opportunity for the customer to just skip a step and stay with that provider permanently. I mean now it's just another hassle to move it back right? Why bother?

Thanked by 2yoursunny WebProject
  • gzzgzz Member
    edited August 2022

I like how servers are labeled with a piece of paper and some sharpie

https://www.tiktok.com/@ihostart.com/video/7128781275803946245

What happened to the video of the wooden server rack you had? :'(

Edit: nvm it’s still on his account

• @gzz said:
    I like how servers are labeled with a piece of paper and some sharpie

https://www.tiktok.com/@ihostart.com/video/7128781275803946245

C'mon man, he has to label it as ihostart so that he doesn't mistake them for hostsolutions servers!

• @HalfEatenPie said: Sounds like a GREAT opportunity for the customer to just skip a step and stay with that provider permanently. I mean now it's just another hassle to move it back right? Why bother?

His customer don't care about data.

• @elliotc said:

@HalfEatenPie said: Sounds like a GREAT opportunity for the customer to just skip a step and stay with that provider permanently. I mean now it's just another hassle to move it back right? Why bother?

His customer don't care about data.

Then they don't need to "temporary transfer to a new provider" then.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2022

Wow, do all customer happy about them? If customers need to move their data themselves much better for these clients to find better provider as based on their email (as OP posted) they just CBA to migrate customers data to new nodes - very easy archived using ssh.

• @WebProject said:
    Wow, do all customer happy about them? If customers need to move their data themselves much better for these clients to find better provider as based on their email (as OP posted) they just CBA to migrate customers data to new nodes - very easy archived using ssh.

Their limitation is... Hard drive capacity.

They don't have enough funding for hard drives or even temporary storage solutions.

edited August 2022

@HalfEatenPie said:

@WebProject said:

Their limitation is... Hard drive capacity.

They don't have enough funding for hard drives or even temporary storage solutions.

Don’t need to move to temporary location, migration can be done from old node to new one, one by one VM so easy task, we done in past and customers had small amount of downtime with bootable VM on new node with exactly the same IPv4 addresses. I do understand they are very cheap but it’s their business plan so it’s their issue and problem and never should be customers!

Thanked by 2luckypenguin RapToN
  • @WebProject I guess when your business model is dirt cheap DMCA ignored VPS,
    your "backups" are located just in the nearest torrent tracker.
    No one in his right mind would use such "service" for anything except that.

Thanked by 1yoursunny

@luckypenguin said:
    @WebProject I guess when your business model is dirt cheap DMCA ignored VPS,
    your "backups" are located just in the nearest torrent tracker.
    No one in his right mind would use such "service" for anything except that.

Personally though about other type of clients as surely not all clients like that and use their service for torrents only 😂