Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AS24875 NovoServe B.V. is spoofing our AS59432
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AS24875 NovoServe B.V. is spoofing our AS59432

jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
edited August 2022 in General

Today we have received a notification that our AS59432 (GINERNET) had a peering against AS24875, however this is false, in our router there is no BGP session against this AS24875 (NOVOSERVE).

After a thorough analysis, we found that:

The AS24875 (NOVOSERVE) has an AS-SET named: AS-NOVOSERVE-CUSTOMERS.
And our AS59432 (GINERNET) is part of it without being authorized by us.

The prefix 176.57.50.0/24 is visible on the Internet with the AS-PATH: "24875 59432".

However, as I said, we AS59432 (GINERNET) do not have any BGP session against AS24875 (NOVOSERVE).

For this reason, we deduce that the AS24875 (NOVOSERVE) has within its network a "client" that has spoofed our AS59432 (GINERNET) and they are committing the failure to keep that BGP session active.
(I do not understand how someone can activate a BGP session and not verify the authority of the peer).

We have contacted AS24875 (NOVOSERVE) support and what they have replied is just this line:

I have forwarded this to our customer.

I find this answer totally unacceptable... they should remove our AS from their AS-SET and cut the BGP with the router that is spoofing our AS.

What can we do now if they do not attend our request? We understand that this is an illegal action.

Thank you.

Comments

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited August 2022

You can open a case in RIPE and get them suspended or worse if you can prove that nothing is being done even after reporting it. They are still responsible for it, even if their customer does it and they approve it.

Best way to get bad attention for them is to make an email into RIPE mailing list explaining the situation and the response you got. It will be solved within hours after that regardless what the client says. I guarantee it.

Thanked by 1ralf
  • luckypenguinluckypenguin Member
    edited August 2022

Thanked by 2tjn wdmg
  • tjntjn Member

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2022

@luckypenguin said:
    Care to explain what 141.11.224.0/22 "Technicolor SA", a large French company,
    is doing in your AS?

Apparently, this prefix appears in a residual form on bgp.he.net (maybe a cache), because we have not been advertising it for 2 months... But, we had authorization at the time, the same as this one:

https://apps.db.ripe.net/db-web-ui/lookup?source=ripe&key=141.11.230.0/23AS59432&type=route

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited August 2022

@luckypenguin said: Care to explain what 141.11.224.0/22 "Technicolor SA", a large French company,
    is doing in your AS?

Doesn't seem like it from here.

BGP routing table entry for 141.11.224.0/24
    Paths: (16 available, best #1, table Default-IP-Routing-Table)
      Not advertised to any peer
      3356 9121 43260 209737 211585

Thanked by 1jmginer
  • @jmginer said: We're authorized to advertise this prefix

Yet ROA and RPKI is missing. Which is exactly the mechanism to prevent hijacks.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@luckypenguin said:
    Care to explain what 141.11.224.0/22 "Technicolor SA", a large French company,
    is doing in your AS?

You can see in whois that the route record for this subnet was created last month by IPXO, an IP broker.
    This might indicate a legit ongoing IP subnet transfer or temporary lease where the org object is not beeing updated, yet.

Thanked by 1jmginer
  • jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

@luckypenguin said:

@jmginer said: We're authorized to advertise this prefix

Yet ROA and RPKI is missing. Which is exactly the mechanism to prevent hijacks.

We're talking about AS steal, not IP steal.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited August 2022

@luckypenguin said: Care to explain what 141.11.224.0/22 "Technicolor SA", a large French company, is doing in your AS?

That prefix hasn't been announced by their AS for the last four weeks: https://stat.ripe.net/ui2013/widget/routing-history#w.resource=141.11.224.0/22&w.starttime=2021-06-05T00:00:00&w.endtime=2022-08-09T00:00:00

Thanked by 1jmginer
  • LeviLevi Member

Sooo... Sue?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@LTniger said:
    Sooo... Sue?

Fuck that this is when you adopt downtown Houston style.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

Since you are a RIPE member (LIR), @jmginer, you can submit a ticket to RIPE through your LIR portal.
    This is probably one of the effective things you can do.

Thanked by 1jmginer
  • avelineaveline Member, Patron Provider

Yea, this is definitely an AS hijack and we can confirm that this prefix is still visible through NovoServe. If it's their customer, they should just suspend the BGP session as obviously, their customer doesn't have the right to use AS59432.

If Novoserve doesn't respond in time, it's better to contact their upstream. We had the same situation before.

Thanked by 1jmginer
  • @jmginer said:
    Today we have received a notification that our AS59432 (GINERNET) had a peering against AS24875, however this is false, in our router there is no BGP session against this AS24875 (NOVOSERVE).

After a thorough analysis, we found that:

The AS24875 (NOVOSERVE) has an AS-SET named: AS-NOVOSERVE-CUSTOMERS.
    And our AS59432 (GINERNET) is part of it without being authorized by us.

The prefix 176.57.50.0/24 is visible on the Internet with the AS-PATH: "24875 59432".

However, as I said, we AS59432 (GINERNET) do not have any BGP session against AS24875 (NOVOSERVE).

For this reason, we deduce that the AS24875 (NOVOSERVE) has within its network a "client" that has spoofed our AS59432 (GINERNET) and they are committing the failure to keep that BGP session active.
    (I do not understand how someone can activate a BGP session and not verify the authority of the peer).

We have contacted AS24875 (NOVOSERVE) support and what they have replied is just this line:

I have forwarded this to our customer.

I find this answer totally unacceptable... they should remove our AS from their AS-SET and cut the BGP with the router that is spoofing our AS.

What can we do now if they do not attend our request? We understand that this is an illegal action.

Thank you.

You cannot do so much unfortunately

Thanked by 1jmginer
  • zedzed Member

i bid $7

• wdmgwdmg Member, LIR

You can always contact Novoserve's T1 upstreams are tell them to filter out the announcement with novoserve in the AS_PATH

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@wdmg said:
    You can always contact Novoserve's T1 upstreams are tell them to filter out the announcement with novoserve in the AS_PATH

This. If NovoServe is refusing to cooperate, contacting their T1 upstreams should be the next step.

I do advise you to ask for your ticket to be escalated at NovoServe, it sounds like a low-level tech just used the regular canned response when dealing with abuse. As to be escalated to NOC/upper management to get a better response.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@LTniger said:
    Sooo... Sue?

The end is nigh.