Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS capable on transcoding at 4K with Plex
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS capable on transcoding at 4K with Plex

At the moment, for my Plex media center I use a dedicated sever from Hetzner Auction. It works awesome, and since I have this server for Plex I use it for other things too (Nextcloud and more). I love this setup, but I miss having my stuff in a personal Kubernetes cluster because I want to keep this skill up to date ( I use GKE at work too but I rarely need to touch anything and it's managed).

I tried setting up everything on CPX31 instances with Hetzner Cloud (I even built a tool to create clusters in Hetzner Cloud easily and quickly - see https://github.com/vitobotta/hetzner-k3s if interested), but some of the larger videos don't play smoothly like smaller ones (smaller in quality I mean). I should add that I was using a Storage Box mounted with cifs for cheap storage, because the cloud's block storage is a lot more expensive and would cost a lot for a few TBs.

Is anyone using reasonably priced virtual servers that can transcode videos at high quality just fine? If yes, which provider? And what do you use for the storage?

Thanks

Comments

• I should have probably posted this in Help. Can a mod move it if needed?

• Not sure but would a seedbox be useful in this case because its specially designed for plex?

P.S -> Don't roast me please

• @tmepy said:
    Not sure but would a seedbox be useful in this case because its specially designed for plex?

P.S -> Don't roast me please

Then I would stay with a dedi. My goal is to migrate everything to Kubernetes. I just created a cluster in Hetzner Cloud using instances with dedicated cores to see if there is any difference. Even though it's quite a bit more expensive.

• First, you'll never transcode 4K on a vps because they will ban you for cpu abuse. Second, hetzner will suspend your server for running a kubernetes cluster because kubernetes will periodically broadcast packets to the LAN and the network nazis will send you a warning to fix it or else. If you want full kubernetes, fuck hetzner and go with a different provider like worldstream. they have a dedicated server with GPU for sale currently.

• Transcode => CPU abusage => Dedicated cores.

You can set the quality of transcode in plex.

• I have a php-friends 4 core VPS with gb5 scores of 3200, Plex runs great even with 6+ streams. They also have storage similar to Hetzner storage box but its more expensive at 10 EUR per TB.

• @itsnotv said:
    I have a php-friends 4 core VPS with gb5 scores of 3200, Plex runs great even with 6+ streams. They also have storage similar to Hetzner storage box but its more expensive at 10 EUR per TB.

3200 multi core I guess??

• @vitobotta said:

@itsnotv said:
    I have a php-friends 4 core VPS with gb5 scores of 3200, Plex runs great even with 6+ streams. They also have storage similar to Hetzner storage box but its more expensive at 10 EUR per TB.

3200 multi core I guess??

Of course, 4 dedi cores of AMD EPYC.

• You shouldn't be transcoding 4k in the first place. If you download x264 encodes there won't be any issues.

• @dosai said:
    You shouldn't be transcoding 4k in the first place. If you download x264 encodes there won't be any issues.

Which profiles are these in Radarr/Sonarr?

• @vitobotta said:

@dosai said:
    You shouldn't be transcoding 4k in the first place. If you download x264 encodes there won't be any issues.

Which profiles are these in Radarr/Sonarr?

Sorry, I haven't used them.

• @dosai said:

4k x264? excuse me what the fuck?

• tjntjn Member

Why do you want to transcode 4k?
    I guess what I’m asking is, why download 4k quality if you can’t play it at 4k?

Or have I misunderstood what you’re trying to achieve? 😅

• @stefeman said:

@dosai said:

4k x264? excuse me what the fuck?

Technically you can but that's not what I meant in the earlier comment. Instead of 4k, Vito could download regular x264 encodes to avoid transcoding.

• Cant you squeeze Kubernetes on top everything running in your dedicated?