Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good & Bad ratings on Hetzner Cloud
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Good & Bad ratings on Hetzner Cloud

I'm thinking of moving all my stuff onto a single Hetzner Cloud.
Here's my stuff:

A WordPress blog (around 200 visitors per day)
A private vaultwarden
A URL shortener (powered by YOURLS)
And some more small projects

Is it a bad idea?

Comments

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

You won't find any issues.

• i4P1i4P1 Member

You will be good. If you use docker heavily, maybe you will need some RAM, but it should be not a problem since you can resize the instance as you want.

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

I run a few CheckMK instances on Hetzner Cloud servers and haven't had any issues in the last 3 years

• Even the lowest plan is an overkill for you. No problem at all.

Thanked by 1v3ng
  • @Kousaka said:
    Even the lowest plan is an overkill for you. No problem at all.

Would you recommend CX11 for 3.49€/month or add 0.5€ more for CPX11 which is available in the United States and one more CPU core? It's AMD also.
    To be clear, I don't really care where they are.

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

You should be fine with the smallest one but I'd probably still go with the CPX11 as it has more cores and disk space

• @v3ng said:
    You should be fine with the smallest one but I'd probably still go with the CPX11 as it has more cores and disk space

Okay, thanks. I'm thinking of using a Hetzner Cloud and a Storage Box to replace my poor 5€ OneProvider which sucked.

• emghemgh Member

@FrankRuan said:

@v3ng said:

Okay, thanks. I'm thinking of using a Hetzner Cloud and a Storage Box to replace my poor 5€ OneProvider which sucked.

Or the VPS you're already buying with an attached volume.

• @emgh said:

@FrankRuan said:

@v3ng said:

More expensive than the Box however

• @FrankRuan said:

@emgh said:

@FrankRuan said:

@v3ng said:

More expensive than the Box however

In my experience - if you're using a US VM and go for a storage box (which is EU only afaik) - you will not even remotely enjoy the speeds it offers. It is ridiculously slow.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • There is absolutely nothing to complain about using Hetzner Cloud, however, I highly recommend that you purchase the backup for only 20% more of the total price.

If you are only going to use one server to run all of your critical services, at some point this will be good coverage and will be able to restore everything much more quickly than a third party external backup - even though you may barely use it.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Their US AMD VPS are pretty great for the price.

Thanked by 2Erisa RapToN
  • ErisaErisa Member

It's quite hard to go wrong with Hetzner Cloud, both CX11 and CPX11 will work fine for your usecase so which one you use is a choice you can make yourself, whether you need the cores and disk or need the US location. It's fairly easy to resize instances later (Even across processor type) however that has a small amount of downtime involved (Minutes maybe) if that's a concern to you.

Mounting a Storage Box works absolutely wonderfully provided the instance is in the same region as the Storage Box. So if you get an FSN cloud instance you'll need an FSN Storage Box, etc. Since they're in the same DC park you'll get <1ms of latency to the Storage Box and saturate the full throughput of the network connection.

This rules out US region if you want to attach a Storage Box, since there are none available there and the latency and speed is terrible when accessing an EU one. So if you want a Storage Box and a US instance you will need two instances.

• @FrankRuan said:

@Kousaka said:

Would you recommend CX11 for 3.49€/month or add 0.5€ more for CPX11 which is available in the United States and one more CPU core? It's AMD also.

CX11, as I do not see a point to upgrade to CPX11. Also you might want to consider netcup, which is hosted in Hetzner DC (iirc). More resource for less money.

• emghemgh Member

@Kousaka said:

@FrankRuan said:

@Kousaka said:

CX11, as I do not see a point to upgrade to CPX11. Also you might want to consider netcup, which is hosted in Hetzner DC (iirc). More resource for less money.

The point is that it's better.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • ErisaErisa Member

@Kousaka said: netcup, which is hosted in Hetzner DC (iirc).

I'm pretty sure this isn't the case, though like with you I don't have a definitive source for it either. Time to bring in the LowEndDetectives?

• adlyadly Veteran
    edited July 2022

@Erisa said:

I'm pretty sure this isn't the case, though like with you I don't have a definitive source for it either. Time to bring in the LowEndDetectives?

Netcup is listed as being present in the Hetzner Nuremberg Datacenter Park (here), and Anexia lists a DC named “DE, Nuremberg, Hetzner (netcup) (ANX84)” (here). So it’s safe to assume there is some netcup presence in Hetzner’s facilities.

• ErisaErisa Member

@adly said:

@Erisa said:

Netcup is listed as being present in the Hetzner Nuremberg Datacenter Park (here), and Anexia lists a DC named “DE, Nuremberg, Hetzner (netcup) (ANX84)” (here). So it’s safe to assume there is some netcup presence in Hetzner’s facilities.

Thank you! :heart:

Thanked by 1adly