Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a VPS to run PLEX & EMBY - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a VPS to run PLEX & EMBY

2»

Comments

• @Sanjue007 said:

@jmaxwell said:

@Sanjue007 said:
    Hi,

As the title says i am looking for a vps with good CPU and a reasonal storage space to run PLEX & EMBY
    Singapore preferred but not necessary. (I know singapore is expensive)

Currently using KS-1 but not good enough. Can't play x265 files init. Other than it's great.

Takes too much CPU for transcoding? How about direct playback ?

Same buffering with direct playback :(

Playing 4K with direct playback from a KS-1 to my TV with no problem whatsoever.
    Using Emby I might add.
    Remember to set the app that it can use 100Mbit.
    I set it to 4K 100Mbit, and if I don't then in general it wants to transcode.

Thanked by 1Sanjue007
  • @Daniel15 said: You can completely turn off transcoding in the Plex Server settings for testing purposes.

I argue with the word "completely" since it still transcodes audio iirc.

• @skorous said:

@Daniel15 said: You can completely turn off transcoding in the Plex Server settings for testing purposes.

I argue with the word "completely" since it still transcodes audio iirc.

Oh, you're right! My mistake. I thought the option totally disabvled transcoding, but I double-checked and it's actually labelled as "Disable video stream transcoding".

Audio transcoding is not very CPU-intensive, but I don't think it's needed very often. There's no many audio codecs in use, and most devices support most of the common codecs.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • @Daniel15 said:

Oh, you're right! My mistake. I thought the option totally disabvled transcoding, but I double-checked and it's actually labelled as "Disable video stream transcoding".

Audio transcoding is not very CPU-intensive, but I don't think it's needed very often. There's no many audio codecs in use, and most devices support most of the common codecs.

I originally thought the same thing. I found out because I had setup monitoring for transcoding and a cheapo Android device kept triggering it on some series I was watching.

• Maybe try Jellyfin on KS-1? My KS-1 is running slackware 15 and jellyfin 10.7.7 . I am able to play them without hassle using jellyfin media client for desktop, but i also have 150mbps fiber at home..

Thanked by 1Sanjue007
  • IvanIvan Member
    edited July 2022

For Singapore, Whatbox so far has the best specs and pricing based on my experience. Plus, their network in Singapore is actually really good. It's a shared 40Gbps network. They're peered in Equinix SG as well which I think makes a big difference. Handles 4K HDR high bitrate direct stream with no issues, at least in my experience.

The catch is that they're kinda beginner-centric so you don't get root access but they have most of the popular software. They don't officially have Emby, but as long as it doesn't require root privileges, you can open up a support ticket and they might help you get it installed.

For your budget of $15/month it looks like you can get their cheapest plan which comes with 2TB storage, 5TB of upload and a shared 40Gbps network. For Singapore that's a spectacular price with generous amounts of bandwidth. I've never seen $15/mo get you 5TB bw in Singapore before.

AND, as per their wiki, Plex upload traffic isn't even counted!

All upload traffic is counted except for the following applications:

FTP (on port 21) and SSH/SFTP (on port 22)
    HTTPS from pre-provided directories
    OpenVPN
    Plex
    Jellyfin

If anyone else has a better suggestion for SG with better specs, network, and pricing, let me know. But for now Whatbox has been well worth the money for me and I'm very happy.

• @Sanjue007 said:

@jmaxwell said:

@Sanjue007 said:
    Hi,

As the title says i am looking for a vps with good CPU and a reasonal storage space to run PLEX & EMBY
    Singapore preferred but not necessary. (I know singapore is expensive)

Currently using KS-1 but not good enough. Can't play x265 files init. Other than it's great.

Takes too much CPU for transcoding? How about direct playback ?

Same buffering with direct playback :(

That's because of the location. I proxy it on my Oracle free SG VM and it's now playing smoothly.

Thanked by 1Sanjue007
  • @emperor said: Maybe try Jellyfin on KS-1? My KS-1 is running slackware 15 and jellyfin 10.7.7 . I am able to play them without hassle using jellyfin media client for desktop, but i also have 150mbps fiber at home..

It depends a LOT on your location and ISP, rather than the exact software you're using. Some people have great connections to Kimsufi servers and can max out the connection, while others get horribly slow speeds. Keep in mind that it's a budget server so you can expect the cheapest possible bandwidth with it, routing via the cheapest connections.

• AstroAstro Member

@Ivan ultra.cc is much cheaper with higher specs.

• dosaidosai Member

@Astro said:
    @Ivan ultra.cc is much cheaper with higher specs.

Ultra doesn't have sg location.