Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best way to combine 1Gbps/100Mbps ethernet and 5G/4G/LTE?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best way to combine 1Gbps/100Mbps ethernet and 5G/4G/LTE?

Im finishing up my plans for the homelab.

My download speed is fine, but my issue is the upload speed. Im thinking of somehow tunneling both interfaces via OpenVPN to Hetzner 1Gbps VPS in order to aggregate my 2 or 3 WAN connections into single line to get higher upload speeds.

How would you guys combine these networks?

Assume following conditions.

1000/100Mbps via ethernet
5G mobile unlimited data
Another 5G or 4G/LTE with unlimited data.

1 router for each one. How to combine lines from all routers, and pass local devices to it?

What is most sane way to get this kind of tunnel up by self hosting?

Comments

• One of the primary desires with multi-WAN is bandwidth aggregation. Load balancing can help accomplish this goal. There is, however, one caveat: If the firewall has two 50 Mbit/s WAN circuits, it cannot get 100 Mbit/s of throughput with a single client connection. Each individual connection must be tied to only one specific WAN. This is true of any multi-WAN solution other than MLPPP. The bandwidth of two different Internet connections cannot be aggregated into a single large “pipe” without involvement from the ISP. With load balancing, since individual connections are balanced in a round-robin fashion, 100 Mbit/s of throughput can only be achieved using two 50 Mbit/s circuits when multiple connections are involved. Applications that utilize multiple connections, such as download accelerators, will be able to achieve the combined throughput capacity of the two or more connections. https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/multiwan/mlppp.html

I'm not sure this is possible?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2022

Tried before, you can do load balancing or failover but you will not be able to combine both speed, checked using very decent top of range routers.

• ralfralf Member

Sure it can. Set up a linux router in your home, and use link aggregation bond to route the packets over the different WAN routes with appropriate weightings (and probably encapsulated with e.g. wireguard). I'd suggest you'd want to only use the 5G routes when you're at capacity over the main network, otherwise you might find they start taking an interest in your "unlimited" usage. At the Hetzner end, do the reverse for outbound packets to your home subnet.

In the old days, you used to just do it by putting metrics on the routes, but nowadays it's more usual to use the proper link aggregation instead.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • lorianlorian Member

You might want to take a look at https://www.openmptcprouter.com/ .

Thanked by 1szarka
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

It is possible but I think there will be problems with latency. There is a noticeable difference between 3-4-5 G connections and this might throw some things out of whack. Downloading an ISO or torrenting won't be affected, for example, but gaming would. I remember I have tried something for a friend out in the woods some years ago who wanted to play WoW and, while downloads and streaming were fine (most of the time), he was constantly disconnected from the game.

• keithwkeithw Member

I'd second OpenMPTCProuter, I used it to bond a FTTC (20Mbs down 1Mbs up) and 2 x 4G routers so had the similar problem OK(ish) download unusable upload.

It can be a bit fiddly to install and update, but it works well.

I did not need it but it does support port-forwarding.

• I will check out OpenMPTCProuter

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@keithw said:
    I'd second OpenMPTCProuter, I used it to bond a FTTC (20Mbs down 1Mbs up) and 2 x 4G routers so had the similar problem OK(ish) download unusable upload.

Wow, your FTTC speed is not great

• keithwkeithw Member

@WebProject said:

@keithw said:

Wow, your FTTC speed is not great

No, and I needed to work from home, so OpenMPTCPRouter let me do video calls. I've now got 1Gbs FTTP - much better.

• Somewhat it reminds me of speedify.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited July 2022

@pspatial said:
    Somewhat it reminds me of speedify.

I tried it before with 1 fiber and 2 different 4G LTE, but even with paid plan, the overall torrent download speed was less than single 4G LTE. Their VPN servers are so fucking overloaded that its a waste of time. I also tried multi line speedtests and the results were as bad.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2022

@pspatial said:
    Somewhat it reminds me of speedify.

Speedify isn't great, I have tried it out before. It's pretty much plug and play, but you HAVE to go through their VPN servers. I wouldn't mind paying for software like Speedify, but it absolutely sucks that you're forced to use their (usually congested) servers rather than not being able to use your own.

OpenMPTCProuter is awesome from what I've heard, I'm about to set it up soon on a spare Raspberry Pi :) I plan to aggregate my cable line with 5G/4G LTE lines in order to achieve double or triple the upload speed (in theory!)