Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtualizor: What do you think of these coming features?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virtualizor: What do you think of these coming features?

niyyieniyyie Member, Host Rep
edited July 2022 in General

So Virtualizor has been in this virtualization software business for a while now.
I've used it for years after migrating from SolusVM.
Yes, there are mixed reactions about them in the industry. I won't go into those details.

I noticed some new planned features on their website.

• Block Storage (Hotplug)
  • Virtual Private Cloud (Coming soon)
  • Cloud-init (Coming soon)
  • Firewall (Coming soon)
  • Vertical Scalling (Coming soon)
  • Load Balancer (Coming soon)
  • PCI Passthrough (Coming soon)

They are however limited to a new category of clients they have labelled "professional" - meaning you'd have to pay higher to gain access to these new features.

What do you think about them?
Are these enough to keep you on Virtualizor (if were considering moving)?

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited July 2022

cloud-init a paid feature? seriously?
    [Offensive statement]

Mod edit (angstrom): Removed

Thanked by 3BingoBongo lentro Ivan
  • vyas11vyas11 Member

Price will be doubled

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2022

Meh. Make the UI look less like it was made by a £2.50/hour contractor on Upwork, then this would matter.

These features are nice-ish but they exist on other panels/solutions that would be way more appropriate for an enterprise environment.

Thanked by 2raindog308 lentro
  • @Neoon said:

It’s been the industry standard for a long while now, i see it as an essential part of a core feature set.

Even PCI passthrough has its place in a non commercial environment.

@VirtFusion said:

@Neoon said:

It’s been the industry standard for a long while now, i see it as an essential part of a core feature set.

Proxmox has this feature and the entire Panel is free.
    Its the easiest way to deploy a VM from original sources.

Thanked by 1LordSpock
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2022

@Neoon said:

@VirtFusion said:

@Neoon said:

Haha Proxmox is very limited and tape backup (as it’s their top feature) is not popular in 2022, possible was best option in 1987 😂😂😂 we did tested Proxmox and didn’t like it the functionality.

@WebProject said:

@Neoon said:

@VirtFusion said:

@Neoon said:

Haha Proxmox is very limited and tape backup (as it’s their top feature) is not popular in 2022, possible was best option in 1987 😂😂😂 we did tested Proxmox and didn’t like it the functionality.

Please, show me its limits.
    The API makes even one click cloud-init deployments possible.

The Permissions are really nice too, in comparison with Virtualizor, where every API Key runs around with full privileges.

Thanked by 2LordSpock lentro
  • SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@WebProject said:

Are you sure you actually tried proxmox, not like just installed it and meh, I don't like thing ?

There is concept behind proxmox, its not solus and its not virtualizor (vzr), now since you know it, try it again.

edited July 2022

@Saahib said: Are you sure you actually tried proxmox, not like just installed it and meh, I don't like thing ?

at the time of our tests: was very narrow for production usage, for ordinary clients without admin skills will be complicated in unmanaged enviroment.

The proxmox is free under GNU AGPL v3, via admin panel impossible to disable the "No subscription for this server" popup box so required to modify the code.

Personally still interested how many providers on LET are do use Linear Tape-Open (LTO) to backup customer data?

• @WebProject said:

@Neoon said:

@VirtFusion said:

@Neoon said:

Call up Google, Microsoft and the likes and tell them.

While tape technology may have largely disappeared from our daily lives, it turns out that it's critical to the cloud. Tech giants like Google, Amazon, and Microsoft and some of the world's biggest research institutions, like NASA, all use tape to securely archive data

Thanked by 1lentro
  • LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

@WebProject said:

@Saahib said: Are you sure you actually tried proxmox, not like just installed it and meh, I don't like thing ?

at the time of our tests: was very narrow for production usage, for ordinary clients without admin skills will be complicated in unmanaged enviroment.

The proxmox is free under GNU AGPL v3, via admin panel impossible to disable the "No subscription for this server" popup box so required to modify the code.

Personally still interested how many providers on LET are do use Linear Tape-Open (LTO) to backup customer data?

I think for 'ordinary' VPS clients - sure. But those same customers are unlikely to need PCI passthrough and the likes.

Proxmox has such a meaty API that you could easily build a wrapper around it to take care of those tasks anyway for customers who need their creature comforts they come to expect.

As for LTO, I'm not a provider in the low end space - but I use LTO drives for backing up important data. Being able to store 12TB of uncompressed data for <£50 a pop has very significant advantages. (LTO-8)

Thanked by 1lentro
  • lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@WebProject said: Proxmox is very limited

Can you elaborate? At my previous job, we ran a few dozen Proxmox clusters (at least 6-figures worth of hardware), and we were very satisfied. Amazing API to build around. Easy to manage VMs. Good documentation. Doesn't feel like it was made by an Upwork freelancer or was broken in any regard.

@lentro said:

Can you elaborate? At my previous job, we ran a few dozen Proxmox clusters (at least 6-figures worth of hardware), and we were very satisfied. Amazing API to build around. Easy to manage VMs. Good documentation. Doesn't feel like it was made by an Upwork freelancer or was broken in any regard.

At the time we just looked for solution out of box without any additional development as we used to use own solution for XEN nodes.

• LeviLevi Member

Proxmos vs Virtualizor like Apples vs Crap. Proxmox exist long, has paid enterprise support which actually works. It is good product, very good.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@lentro said:

Contabo is also using Proxmox iirc. Proxmox is based in Vienna, Austria and a rather long established product. That's something german providers usually tend to appreciate (long established and DACH-based). Regarding the limitations you mentioned, I probably don't have enough experience from a provider experience to add much to that. I'd assume everyone has different clients with different demands and as long as things work out and are stable/secure it's a valid way to go/consider.

Thanked by 1lentro