Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thin Client as a server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Thin Client as a server?

MoofieMoofie Member
edited July 2022 in General

Hey yall.. I had an idea of purchasing a thin client and using it as a low end server for a nas or something possibly. Has anyone else done this, thoughts, opinions, am I stupid?

Comments

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

Not sure 'thin clients' are exactly perfect (in the sense of the old tiny Atom ones that just run RDP), but I have used mini PCs of similar size with fairly reasonable specs (recentish mobile i5/i7) to do loads of little compute tasks.

• guowqguowq Member

ks1

• Unless you need x86_64 arch go with something like Rpi or any other arm board.
    You can attach USB hubs to it and make it a NAS as well.
    Will be much smaller in size, passively cooled and energy efficient - making it a better choice.

Check /r/homelab for some ideas too.

• MoofieMoofie Member

@LordSpock said:
    Not sure 'thin clients' are exactly perfect (in the sense of the old tiny Atom ones that just run RDP), but I have used mini PCs of similar size with fairly reasonable specs (recentish mobile i5/i7) to do loads of little compute tasks.

Yeah I’ve been thinking about that too. But I thought it’d be cool to go as low end as possible

• MoofieMoofie Member

@luckypenguin said:
    Unless you need x86_64 arch go with something like Rpi or any other arm board.
    Will be much smaller in size, passively cooled and energy efficient - making it a better choice.

Check /r/homelab for some ideas too.

RPi costs too much and I already use one as a homeserver so thats boring :( maybe I’ll look into some other arm boards but the RPi’s cost too much now anyway.

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

@Moofie said:

@LordSpock said:

Yeah I’ve been thinking about that too. But I thought it’d be cool to go as low end as possible

You probably won't make much resource or power savings, it'd be low end for low end's sake (and would be pretty rough).

• LeviLevi Member

Lenovo thinkstation. I run one at home with i5/32GB RAM and nvme. Monster and draw only 10-30w

Thanked by 2netomx skorous
  • jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited July 2022

@Moofie said:

How low end do you wanna go?

A few months ago I bought some of those sketchy Android TV Boxes (10/100 NIC, USB2, old ass Rockchip CPUs, 1GB RAM) for around 10 bucks and flashed Armbian on them, barely usable but hey it works.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Moofie said:
    Hey yall.. I had an idea of purchasing a thin client and using it as a low end server for a nas or something possibly. Has anyone else done this, thoughts, opinions, am I stupid?

no problem, man. Get a HP thin client.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • MoofieMoofie Member

@LordSpock said:

@Moofie said:

@LordSpock said:

You probably won't make much resource or power savings, it'd be low end for low end's sake (and would be pretty rough).

True! Considered

@LTniger said:
    Lenovo thinkstation. I run one at home with i5/32GB RAM and nvme. Monster and draw only 10-30w

Thinking about this! They’re fairly cheap too.

@jmgcaguicla said:

@Moofie said:

How low end do you wanna go?

A few months ago I bought some of those sketchy Android TV Boxes (10/100 NIC, USB2, old ass Rockchip CPUs, 1GB RAM) for around 10 bucks and flashed Armbian on them, barely usable but hey it works.

Thats really low end! Sounds fun but I might have to pass on “barely usable” haha

• MoofieMoofie Member

@netomx said:

@Moofie said:

no problem, man. Get a HP thin client.

Straight to the point, I like it. Needed someone to tell me to go for it :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

It's not gonna be good for NAS, due to hard drive spaces, but you can run proxmox, or better, get 3 of them to form a HA cluster.

@Moofie said: Straight to the point, I like it. Needed someone to tell me to go for it

use tinycore ;) my personal fav

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

@netomx said:

@Moofie said: Straight to the point, I like it. Needed someone to tell me to go for it

wow it looks awesome, gonna give it a try.

Thanked by 2netomx szarka

@ericls said: wow it looks awesome

it is! I use it on several of my KVMs

• szarkaszarka Member

@netomx said:

Nice.

Though, seeing a 11 MB distro called "tiny" when you used to be able to run Linux on a floppy disk is still kind of funny to me. ;)

Thanked by 1netomx

@szarka said:

@netomx said:

Nice.

Though, seeing a 11 MB distro called "tiny" when you used to be able to run Linux on a floppy disk is still kind of funny to me. ;)

ik. OpenWRT is smaller, but it really works very good

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@luckypenguin said: Unless you need x86_64 arch go with something like Rpi or any other arm board.

Thin clients can be passively cooled and energy efficient too. One example:

Thanked by 2szarka Moofie
  • ralfralf Member
    edited July 2022

There's a whole load of recommendations on ServeTheHome.

I've not particularly looked at them, but the video about the low-end-PC with 4x2.5GbE which I ultimately ended up buying for my home router was probably the biggest influence, but the few videos / articles I've seen all seem reasonable and they have a whole chunk of articles on various "thin client servers", so I think it's a good starting point to look at. I also appreciated the fact that they have article forms for most of their videos too.

Ultimately, it depends what you're going to use it for, but for instance my router is also now an additional storage destination for my server-originated borg backups. It may be low end, but e.g. its single core GB score is double the multi core speed of my KS-1 and its multi core speed is 7x, so it's good for a lot of things and completely silent.

Thanked by 1Moofie
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I have a lot of experience with this.
    I used an Igel (which was later bought by HP) thin client with VIA c7 passive cooling, 1 cf card and USB ports to make a NAS out of. It worked reliably for that time (many years ago when 100 mbps home networks were still a thing) I have also used 1 GB SODIMM on it so it also doubled as internet radio receiver for my late aunt, she only needed to push the speakers' power button.

At the time, 40 Watt was still OK as power consumption, now I am using a TV box for thin client, Tor node, 1 disk NAS with an USB gbit card, it uses something like 6-7 Watt and I can still load up netflix and shit on it after replacing android with armbian.
    Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Android-Allwinner-Quad-Core-64bit-Dual-WiFi/dp/B09C7K8M4R/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=x96+mini&qid=1658920404&sr=8-8 But be careful with CPUs, armbian is not supported on all x96 boxes.

Thanked by 2ralf Moofie
  • I got a Dell Wyse 5070 of ebay recently. It's a good little machine. Since it's a thin client it has many Display Ports that I won't need. I got the extended version so I can fit a low profile pcie card with 4 NICs if I really want to. It's a Pentium j5005, that's plenty for a lowend Home Server I guess. It takes SATA M2 drives if you have one lying around somewhere.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I have GL.iNet AR750 home router, running OpenWrt.
    I added 2TB USB HDD and installed ksmbd for network storage.
    It's USB 2.0 so speed is 5MB/s.
    GL.iNet has higher models with USB 3.0 port and faster speeds.

• I purchased a chromebox CN60 and installed crouton to get ubuntu running on it. I've had no issues with it other than the fact that it has a single m.2 2242 slot and two usb 3 ports. Depending on how much storage you need I would personally recommend this path.