Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any reliable VPS to host my vaultwarden?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any reliable VPS to host my vaultwarden?

I need a reliable VPS to host my vaultwarden.
Better in the US, but I can accept anywhere else.
Of course I need it to be as cheap as possible.
I really don't need really high specs to run just a password manager... All I need is to run a docker container and a nginx to reverse proxy.

1 vCPU Core
0.5 GB RAM
>5 GB Disk(either HDD or SSD)
>1Mbps Network (I'm serious, for real, what do you need to just communicate using websocket)
RELIABLE

Comments

• Excludings/Blacklists:
    RackNerd (being sued, I'm worried about that)
    Virmach (every dog knows that)
    HostHatch (data loss.. that's critical)
    Any Chinese cloud (I admit that I'm Chinese, but I don't trust my government)

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

It’s actually cheaper if you buy their(Bitwarden) hosted service. But if you also host some other things on your VPS, that’s a different story.

To answer,
    I’ve being using hetzner and buyvm for both personal and production

Thanked by 2Arkas marian
  • tjntjn Member

BuyVM, Hetzner should be good.
    I'd recommend placing it behind Cloudflare and tightening your firewall rules.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • kuroitkuroit Member, Host Rep

@FrankRuan said:
    I really don't need really high specs to run just a password manager... All I need is to run a docker container and a nginx to reverse proxy.

1 vCPU Core
    0.5 GB RAM
    >1Mbps Network (I'm serious, for real, what do you need to just communicate using websocket)
    RELIABLE

Happy to offer you one for like 5GBP per year, thats the IP fee really since required spec is really low.

Locations:
    1. Equinix LA3, Los Angeles, US
    2. Docklands DC, London, UK

DM me if you're interested.

• @tjn said:
    BuyVM, Hetzner should be good.
    I'd recommend placing it behind Cloudflare and tightening your firewall rules.

Yes I know, I'm planning to do that.

• @kuroit said:

@FrankRuan said:

1 vCPU Core
    0.5 GB RAM
    RELIABLE

Happy to offer you one for like 5GBP per year, thats the IP fee really since required spec is really low.

Locations:

Thanks man, DMed!

• @kuroit said:

@FrankRuan said:

1 vCPU Core
    0.5 GB RAM
    RELIABLE

Locations:

Huge shout out to this new provider! Which provides me with a custom solution!

Thanked by 1kuroit
  • I am a big fan of Hetzner. It's reliable, cheap and they have cloud servers in Ashburn, Virginia too. Having said that, a password manager is one of the few things (together with email) that I am no longer gonna self host. I don't want to have problems if my server is down for a while. Also, hosted Bitwarden is just $10/per year or something like that. What's the point? Especially if you are going to self host only this application.

Thanked by 3Astro ElonBezos z0diacg
  • @vitobotta said:
    I am a big fan of Hetzner. It's reliable, cheap and they have cloud servers in Ashburn, Virginia too. Having said that, a password manager is one of the few things (together with email) that I am no longer gonna self host. I don't want to have problems if my server is down for a while. Also, hosted Bitwarden is just $10/per year or something like that. What's the point? Especially if you are going to self host only this application.

Make a lot of sense actually...

• servzenservzen Member, Host Rep

Can offer you a good deal.

1 vCore (E3-1270v6)
    512 MB RAM
    5GB NVMe Space
    5TB Transfer @ 1Gbps down/250Mbps uplink
    Located in France (OVH)

Price: $10/yr , $1.5/mo

for more details, you can PM me.

• ralfralf Member
    edited July 2022

@FrankRuan said:
    1Mbps Network (I'm serious, for real, what do you need to just communicate using websocket)

@servzen said:
    5TB Transfer @ 1Gbps down/250Mbps uplink

:D

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@servzen said:
    Located in France (OVH)

Price: $10/yr , $1.5/mo

After OVH starts charging you for the IPv4 next year you'd be giving that away for free.

• OCI Always-Free A1-Flex instance?
    Vaultwarden works perfectly on ARM

• i4P1i4P1 Member

@brejski said:
    OCI Always-Free A1-Flex instance?

The account may be nuked randomly. o:)

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@i4P1 said:

@brejski said:

The account may be nuked randomly. o:)

As it’s free oracle account occasionally required to reinstall OS as hardware is failing

• ailiceailice Member

Pikapods have vaultwarden $1.6/mo
    I use it for awhile so far so good

Thanked by 1TimRoo
  • Lightsail, for $3.5 you get a server from the worlds largest cloud provider.

• I use Netcup and Frantech to host things that add any actual value to my day to day life. I value their uptime and actual commitment to the services they provide. I still keep regular backups regardless of their reputation. Netcup and Frantech/BuyVM have fantastic uptime.

Keep in mind if you use a random lowend/new provider they can and may disappear at any time. It happens. Look into deadpooling.

Make sure to take regular good backups offsite of where you host and test that they actually work.

• TimRooTimRoo Member

@vitobotta said:
    I am a big fan of Hetzner. It's reliable, cheap and they have cloud servers in Ashburn, Virginia too. Having said that, a password manager is one of the few things (together with email) that I am no longer gonna self host. I don't want to have problems if my server is down for a while. Also, hosted Bitwarden is just $10/per year or something like that. What's the point? Especially if you are going to self host only this application.

I've like self-hosting something like a password manager on my LAN and connecting via VPN when I'm not home. As long as you have a heavily encrypted backup offsite (preferably with a friend or relative) I see no need to let anyone else have custody of that data.

• I use kimsufi KS1 for my basic needs, including vaultwarden,it just works

• If it must be hosted, I believe that the US address of hetznercloud is definitely one of the best choices. Even the lowest configuration has an epyc processor, which can handle basic loads well. You can also pay an extra 20% and get 7-day recurring backups to keep your data safe. They even have a firewall built in!

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited July 2022

BuyVM or Hetzner cloud would be my two choices for reliability.

If all you want is Vaultwarden then I'd really recommend just using Bitwarden's hosted service. $10/year for one user or $40/year for the family plan with six users: https://bitwarden.com/pricing/. Their entire stack is open-source so it's really a company worth supporting IMO.

@brejski said:

They said "reliable"!

• adnsadns Member

@unsafetypin said:
    I use Netcup and Frantech to host things that add any actual value to my day to day life. I value their uptime and actual commitment to the services they provide. I still keep regular backups regardless of their reputation. Netcup and Frantech/BuyVM have fantastic uptime.

Keep in mind if you use a random lowend/new provider they can and may disappear at any time. It happens. Look into deadpooling.

Make sure to take regular good backups offsite of where you host and test that they actually work.

+1 for netcup. I bought an RS ostern S (320 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM, 4 AMD Epyc 7702P dedicated cores) in easter (ostern) offer and currently it is my "home"server with a WireGuard VPN, so I keep the ports closed and using Wireguard VPN on my laptop and phone. I host a Vaultwarden instance with self-signed cert, that's CA imported to my laptop and iPhone to use Bitwarden APP without any restriction.