Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking to move away from Porkbun DNS hosting. What's the current state of other DNS providers? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking to move away from Porkbun DNS hosting. What's the current state of other DNS providers?

2»

Comments

• zedzed Member

@emg said:
    Can someone explain why Cloudflare requires you to use their DNS if you want them as your domain registrar?

What is the value to Cloudflare from hosting your domain's DNS? Why is it so important to them?

query data? (my guess, not making any claims)

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited July 2022

@Kousaka said: Cloudflare, everyone uses it, modern features included and quite fast (ofc cloudflare network). I do not like them because they might silently add unexpected CAA records or issue SSL certificates for CDN, even if you don’t use their CDN. I’m not sure if they are doing other things off the stage so I just stopped using.

Only done if you enable Cloudflare Mobile AMP or CF Automatic Signed Exchanges - see my write up on my blog for CF SXGs and CAA records https://blog.centminmod.com/2021/10/13/2511/testing-page-speed-with-cloudflare-automatic-signed-exchanges-google-search-cache/. Otherwise if you don't use either option, CAA records are not automatically added. If you only use Cloudflare for DNS with orange cloud CDN proxy disabled, you can disable Universal SSL so SSL cert isn't issued. I usually do that via Cloudflare API when onboarding/adding a new domain to Cloudflare - so 2 CF API calls, 1 to onboard domain and 2nd API call to disable Universal SSL and then an additional CF API calls to update DNS records to switch off orange cloud CDN proxying.

@muddy said: I don't necessarily want to go with CloudFlare, as I suspect they will eventually remove the free DNS service.

Nope, Cloudflare I suspect will never remove free DNS service - they value their free offerings to make the internet better just like free SSL certificates and free CDN/caching.

I've been using Cloudflare for 11+ years now on free, pro, biz and enterprise plans across hundreds of domains :)

@emg said: Can someone explain why Cloudflare requires you to use their DNS if you want them as your domain registrar?

Don't think they've explained specifically why but it's part of the value-add proposition I suppose being a security/cdn focused provider. Security/protection and uptime of your DNS is important as the original poster has found with their existing DNS provider's DDOS attacks :)

I use Cloudflare Registrar for maybe 1/2 all my domains and even wrote a guide on bulk adding domains to Cloudflare for CF Registrar purposes at https://blog.centminmod.com/2021/03/04/2333/how-to-bulk-domain-transfer-to-cloudflare-registrar-and-save-on-domain-renewal-costs/ as well as guide for bulk transfer out of domains from Cloudflare Registrar if you want to leave at https://blog.centminmod.com/2021/02/28/2310/how-to-bulk-domain-transfer-out-from-cloudflare-registrar-via-cloudflare-api/

Just one tip for transfers to Cloudflare Registrar, be sure if you have existing DNSSEC enabled on another Registrar to temporarily disable it for transfer and then re-enable it on Cloudflare Registrar end after transfer is complete.

Thanked by 1Wolveix
  • ralfralf Member

Is there any other problem with porkbun apart from this partnership? I'm only really aware of them because of their giveaways here, but I had a look at their prices and they seem reasonable.

The main reason I'm looking is I suddenly noticed today that Joker, who I've used for many, many years because they seemed to take pride in having the lowest prices now seems to charge about double anyone else. Not entirely sure when that happened, I think I was aware last time I renewed something that it was a bit higher than I expected, but today seeing over $20 for a 1 year .com renewal has pushed me to start looking elsewhere.

The suggestion for Cloudflare as registrar sounds reasonable, but like others I'm not really ready to hand over my DNS to them just yet.

• emgemg Veteran

@ralf said:
    Is there any other problem with porkbun apart from this partnership? I'm only really aware of them because of their giveaways here, but I had a look at their prices and they seem reasonable.

The main reason I'm looking is I suddenly noticed today that Joker, who I've used for many, many years because they seemed to take pride in having the lowest prices now seems to charge about double anyone else. Not entirely sure when that happened, I think I was aware last time I renewed something that it was a bit higher than I expected, but today seeing over $20 for a 1 year .com renewal has pushed me to start looking elsewhere.

The suggestion for Cloudflare as registrar sounds reasonable, but like others I'm not really ready to hand over my DNS to them just yet.

I found no issues with Porkbun other than the partnership with the company in China. That was sufficient for me to look elsewhere. I am now in the process of moving my domains to the Cloudflare domain registrar, waiting for my current (slow) domain registrar to approve the transfers. I have only a small number of domains.

• ralfralf Member

@eva2000 said:

@emg said: Can someone explain why Cloudflare requires you to use their DNS if you want them as your domain registrar?

Don't think they've explained specifically why but it's part of the value-add proposition I suppose being a security/cdn focused provider. Security/protection and uptime of your DNS is important as the original poster has found with their existing DNS provider's DDOS attacks :)

I just came across this article which hints at a reason they want to be in control of DNS:

https://www.micahlerner.com/2022/01/13/the-ties-that-un-bind-decoupling-ip-from-web-services-and-sockets-for-robust-addressing-agility-at-cdn-scale.html

Thanked by 2emg Smokey