Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any good vps for mail server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any good vps for mail server?

In addition to AWS SES, I'd like to set up my own mail server in case. I will use mail in a box.
For mail server, ip rep is important. Any good vps can be used for long term mail in a box server?

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

According to @jar 's previous signature, you can use spryServers to send all your spam mail.

Thanked by 3jar Xrmaddness FrankZ
  • @yoursunny said:
    According to @jar 's previous signature, you can use spryServers to send all your spam mail.

LoL,

• @yoursunny said:

No. This mail server is to send out new user registration emails.
    Not for email campaign, not for spamming. Right now I do not have such needs yet, maybe in the future when I need such servers, I will ask for specialized vps vendors. :)

• Since you use SES already, you can use it as relay to send emails, in which case the IP of the VPS no longer matters.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • @vitobotta said:
    Since you use SES already, you can use it as relay to send emails, in which case the IP of the VPS no longer matters.

Thank you. I did not think of this. Very good point.

• @vitobotta said:
    Since you use SES already, you can use it as relay to send emails, in which case the IP of the VPS no longer matters.

Is it possible that I set up my own vps mail server and nurture the ip so that the ip rep will grow? Is this a realistic approach, or should I give up my own independent mail servers, and use AWS SES for all outgoing emails?

• I read from another post that alexhost is specialized for spamming. I may use it later when there is such a need. Thanks for the information.

• How many emails an hour?

• @johnnyquestion said:
    How many emails an hour?

Very few. Depends on the new user registration rate. At most one email per day, very possibly even fewer.

• @letlover said:

@vitobotta said:

Is it possible that I set up my own vps mail server and nurture the ip so that the ip rep will grow? Is this a realistic approach, or should I give up my own independent mail servers, and use AWS SES for all outgoing emails?

I wouldn't bother. SES is so cheap (and so are some alternatives)

Thanked by 1letlover
  • @letlover said:

@johnnyquestion said:
    How many emails an hour?

Very few. Depends on the new user registration rate. At most one email per day, very possibly even fewer.

Not really understanding why you would want to run your own email server. Personally I would just run them through an SMTP server at Yandex if I needed to use my own domain.

• letloverletlover Member
    edited July 2022

@johnnyquestion said:

@letlover said:

@johnnyquestion said:
    How many emails an hour?

Not really understanding why you would want to run your own email server. Personally I would just run them through an SMTP server at Yandex if I needed to use my own domain.

I used google's free smtp before. After a while, the registration emails did not send out. I don't know why until now, just guess that the vps and the dedi's ip rep is not good enough. That is why I want to explore other alternatives. AWS SES is a good and solid one. I just don't know if I can set up my own so that if SES changes policy, I still have my backup method. Building ip rep of mail servers takes time. If I choose the wrong vps vendor, very possibly several years' effort will lose in one night.

• nvmenvme Member

@letlover said:

@johnnyquestion said:

@letlover said:

@johnnyquestion said:
    How many emails an hour?

I used google's free smtp before. After a while, the registration emails did not send out. I don't know why until now, just guess that the vps and the dedi's ip rep is not good enough. That is why I want to explore other alternatives. AWS SES is a good and solid one. I just don't know if I can set up my own so that if SES changes policy, I still have my backup method. Building ip rep of mail servers takes time. If I choose the wrong vps vendor, very possibly several years' effort will lose in one night.

SES is cheap and pretty good in terms of delivery. Another option is zeptomail by zoho, which is like $2/10k transaction mails.
    Or you could use cheap shared hosting that uses mailchannels for outbound delivery.
    Maintaining your own mail server for 1-2 mails per day (initially) is not worth it.

Thanked by 2letlover yoursunny
  • imgmoneyimgmoney Member
    edited July 2022

why not use mailbaby or sendgrid or sendinblue for free transactional email as you need to send registration email only.

Thanked by 1letlover
  • AnayxAnayx Member

@imgmoney said:
    why not use mailbaby or sendgrid or sendinblue for free transactional email as you need to send registration email only.

Valid point. But you got SES already, just add new domain identity and start sending mail. You can also create SES smtp credentials to use directly in the app if SES api is not supported in it.

Thanked by 1letlover
  • @Anayx said:

@imgmoney said:

Valid point. But you got SES already, just add new domain identity and start sending mail. You can also create SES smtp credentials to use directly in the app if SES api is not supported in it.

I like this approach.