Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cPanel User Interface - The Jupiter Theme - Buggy and Painful to Use!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cPanel User Interface - The Jupiter Theme - Buggy and Painful to Use!

emgemg Veteran

I have an account with a shared hosting provider. They offer cPanel to their end users.

Recently, the cPanel user interface changed. A lot. Apparently my provider changed to the "Jupiter" theme.

The new cPanel Jupiter theme is buggy. The design is awful. Really really awful. There is a one-inch wide bright red vertical stripe on the left side that serves no purpose. Instead of separate category panels with simple icons and labels, with the Jupiter theme the individual elements are stacked in a very long vertical stack next to the long red bar, grouped by the old panel categories. The user must scroll, and scroll, and scroll, and scroll until they find the function or operation they want. In fairness, there is a search field at the top, but it doesn't work (see Bugs, below).

Bugs:

• Search results appear underneath the red stripe. This is true for four different browsers running under three different operating systems, and probably everyone else, too.
  • On some older browsers and operating system platforms, everything appears under the red stripe, making cPanel completely unusable.
  • The U/I design is so bad, I would call it a bug.

The shared hosting provider's solution is limited to pleading with cPanel to get a fix out. I think the fix should be "revert to the old theme, please!", but apparently it is not an option.

Just whining. Sorry.

Thanked by 2speedypage Logano

Comments

• speedypagespeedypage Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2022

Unfortunately your provider is correct, cPanel have completely deprecated Paper Lantern as of version 100 and it's full removal came in on version 108. I think everyone majorly dislikes Jupiter, I have no idea why cPanel are so intent on forcing everyone to use it when the community has strongly been against it.

Thanked by 3LordSpock Logano ariq01
  • HxxxHxxx Member

My thoughts on this would be that they are basing the design on the success of plesk. Every time I see the new theme it resembles plesk imho.

Not a bad thing though.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Yeah I'm not a fan of them breaking the paper lantern theme. I was going to ride that bitch all the way the grave of every server running cPanel.

Thanked by 2Hxxx Logano
  • LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

I really dislike Jupiter too. I've seriously considered finally shafting cPanel after many many years over this change.

Paper Lantern was fine, I used the retro style, but in its normal mode it was okay though.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • At least the Jupiter theme isn't as shitty as Uranus

• emgemg Veteran

As an end user of this shared hosting provider, I do not have a choice of themes. At the top, it says that the theme is Jupiter, but the user cannot change it. It is not a pulldown menu, just an informational display.

I urged my hosting provider to write a prominently displayed blog article explaining the cPanel situation to their customers. They should make it clear that the provider is helpless to fix the issues and that any solutions must come from cPanel. I also urged them to encourage other hosting providers to do the same. Perhaps if enough providers expose cPanel publicly, it will get cPanel's attention.

cPanel may be "too pregnant" or "too stubborn" with the new design to go back to the old theme or a similar design. I hope not.

• JasonMJasonM Member

indeed the Jupiter theme is buggy and dull. While attempting to make is light-weight they've removed the essence of the theme itself.

• EthernetServersEthernetServers Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2022

@emg said: There is a one-inch wide bright red vertical stripe on the left side that serves no purpose.

I'm with you there. If it had a whole bunch of options it might make sense, but as it stands right now, it certainly doesn't. It's clear what the aim is; to unify it with WHM - where it DOES make sense because there's plenty of options to fill the space.

Quite frankly I think cPanel should stop trying so hard to unify and instead focus on making a UI for each one that server admins will enjoy (WHM) and a UI that webmasters will enjoy (cPanel) - these are two totally different types of people [generally speaking]. Apples and oranges, if you will.