Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying used iphone
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Buying used iphone

Hi all, I am looking to buy a used iPhone in the US... what are some good market places to check for used phones?

How does one validate if the phone in question is actually unlocked?
How can I know if the phone is not blacklisted or stolen?
How can I ensure that there are no liens on the phone (aka installments) tied to the carrier?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2022

I like swappa, they have good quality control standards. Felt a bit like getting anal probed to sell my iPad Pro on there. Hard to know if a phone is blacklisted on a network beforehand, most sellers are decent people I think and won't try to screw you on that. If you get unlocked though the sellers on swappa have to give reasonable evidence that it's unlocked, which most likely means it isn't blacklisted as that tends to come from owing a debt that if not paid, the phone won't be unlocked.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2022

Example correspondence I had with a swappa moderator when I tried to list my unlocked iPad Pro:

Jarland D.,

Regarding: https://swappa.com/listing/view/LVKV75078

Just to confirm, was this device purchased directly from the manufacturer as a factory unlocked device with no ties to any specific carrier? Or was this device originally locked to a single carrier and later unlocked for use on other networks?

Swappa needs to know as the unlocked category here on Swappa are for devices that are factory unlocked and bought directly from an OEM. Examples being Apple, Samsung, LG, Google, etc. If a device was bought through a carrier and later unlocked, that device is carrier unlocked and would still need to be listed in the carrier with whom the device was originally purchased.

Please reply here to let us know. Also, if it was unlocked by a carrier, please share the name of the carrier in your reply. Thank you!

John A. - Moderator

+

Jarland D.,

Please review the following instructions on how to upload proper verification photos for your listing, so we can continue our review process:
    Please upload a photo showing your listing code (LVKV75078) handwritten on paper next to the listed item
    The entire item must be visible in this photo, and the code should be shown next to the item (not on top of the item)
    The device's screen should be powered on in the photo
    The device's private IMEI/serial number information should not be displayed in your photos
    A photo showing any other included items should be uploaded
    Also, while only required for listings in mint condition, we also recommend uploading the following:
    Photos showing the item from every angle (top, bottom, sides, etc) are required to ensure it has no signs of use
    The photos can be uploaded to our photo upload page here: https://swappa.com/listing/photos/LVKV75078

Once you've finished uploading your photos, click the "Request Review" button on your listing page. Thanks for using Swappa!

John A. - Moderator

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I've used Swappa and sold at least half a dozen devices on there, mostly phones but also Camera & lenses, from my experience it's much better than something like eBay.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @jar said:
    Example correspondence I had with a swappa moderator when I tried to list my unlocked iPad Pro:

Jarland D.,

Just to confirm, was this device purchased directly from the manufacturer as a factory unlocked device with no ties to any specific carrier? Or was this device originally locked to a single carrier and later unlocked for use on other networks?

Swappa needs to know as the unlocked category here on Swappa are for devices that are factory unlocked and bought directly from an OEM. Examples being Apple, Samsung, LG, Google, etc. If a device was bought through a carrier and later unlocked, that device is carrier unlocked and would still need to be listed in the carrier with whom the device was originally purchased.

Please reply here to let us know. Also, if it was unlocked by a carrier, please share the name of the carrier in your reply. Thank you!

John A. - Moderator

+

Jarland D.,

Please review the following instructions on how to upload proper verification photos for your listing, so we can continue our review process:
    Please upload a photo showing your listing code (LVKV75078) handwritten on paper next to the listed item
    The entire item must be visible in this photo, and the code should be shown next to the item (not on top of the item)
    The device's screen should be powered on in the photo
    The device's private IMEI/serial number information should not be displayed in your photos
    A photo showing any other included items should be uploaded
    Also, while only required for listings in mint condition, we also recommend uploading the following:
    Photos showing the item from every angle (top, bottom, sides, etc) are required to ensure it has no signs of use
    The photos can be uploaded to our photo upload page here: https://swappa.com/listing/photos/LVKV75078

Once you've finished uploading your photos, click the "Request Review" button on your listing page. Thanks for using Swappa!

John A. - Moderator

Wow. That does sound intrusive but at the same time increases legitimacy of the marketplace in general.

I will definitely check out Swappa... thanks @jar

Thanked by 1jar
  • szarkaszarka Member

If you're interested in an older model, you may also want to keep your eye on woot.com. They regularly have both iPhones and Android phones at good prices once they are two generations old.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I have iPhone SE 2020 unlocked 64GB.
    If you want it, I can sell for $239 + shipping.
    As usual, a secret push-up video will be preloaded.

How does one validate if the phone in question is actually unlocked?
    How can I know if the phone is not blacklisted or stolen?
    How can I ensure that there are no liens on the phone (aka installments) tied to the carrier?

I can promise these.
    If violated, I would be eaten by tigers.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • https://www.imei.info/check-warranty-unlock/

You can negotiate with the seller to provide a screenshot of the IMEI/Serial, and
    check it there. This would give all related info from Apple servers.

Thanked by 1plumberg