Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Many of Hetzner's VDSes are gone in US Ashburn
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

letloverletlover Member
edited July 2022 in General

Hetnzer VDSes are hot potatoes in US. What to say.

Comments

• BochiBochi Member

Funny thing, as obviously there are different interpretations to the phrase "hot potato".
    In German this usually refers to something no one wants and therefore is "passed around like a hot potato". ;)

Thanked by 2yoursunny letlover
  • @Bochi said:
    Funny thing, as obviously there are different interpretations to the phrase "hot potato".
    In German this usually refers to something no one wants and therefore is "passed around like a hot potato". ;)

He probably meant selling like hotcakes. I think the term hot potato means a negative
    thing not only in German.

• I personally had to log into mine to make sure its still online, cause when someone says they are "gone" - in LET world - that means they are gone gone.
    Freaked me out for no good reason lol

Thanked by 3letlover lanefu adly
  • @NobodyInteresting said: cause when someone says they are "gone" - in LET world - that means they are gone gone.

I also thought for a second they got OVH'd because of all the worldwide heat wave and so.
    Just yesterday read that Google and Oracle had outages in their DC because of cooling issues:

https://www.datacenterknowledge.com/power-and-cooling/google-oracle-data-centers-knocked-offline-london-heat

Thanked by 2afn maverickp
  • ralfralf Member

In the UK at least, if something is selling like a hot potato then it's good, but we also have the same negative meaning like @luckypenguin said in German.

The really negative phrase is "it went down like a lead balloon". Probably less obvious for non-native speakers as it uses two different meanings for "went down".

• ralfralf Member

@luckypenguin said:
    Just yesterday read that Google and Oracle had outages in their DC because of cooling issues:

But that was in the UK where we'll close a railway line down because the "wrong type of leaves" fell off the trees. (Admittedly, it was actually damn hot compared to normal on Monday and Tuesday)

• edited July 2022

@ralf said:

@luckypenguin said:

But that was in the UK where we'll close a railway line down because the "wrong type of leaves" fell off the trees. (Admittedly, it was actually damn hot compared to normal on Monday and Tuesday)

Leaves on the line is a genuine problem. Trains actually have very little contact with the rails so very little traction, this is why they can't climb steep hills so lines cut through them instead. Put something slippery between the rail and the wheel and you just spin in-place. It is worse for modern engines then the old steamers or deltics because they are lighter - the older engine's extra weight helped at least a little by mulching up the interfering layer more.

• @Bochi said:

The same in US.
    But it is kind of fun to have new meaning on LET. :)

• letloverletlover Member
    edited July 2022

@luckypenguin said:

@Bochi said:

He probably meant selling like hotcakes. I think the term hot potato means a negative

Yeh. Hotcake. Why does everyone like cake and dislike potato? Potato is healthier.

• @NobodyInteresting said:
    I personally had to log into mine to make sure its still online, cause when someone says they are "gone" - in LET world - that means they are gone gone.
    Freaked me out for no good reason lol

LOL. No worry.

• HxxxHxxx Member

If only Hetzner brought those Ryzen DS into US datacenters. I would order like 3 immediately. Damn it.

• letloverletlover Member
    edited July 2022

@Hxxx said:
    If only Hetzner brought those Ryzen DS into US datacenters. I would order like 3 immediately. Damn it.

Probably Hetzner will charge more due to the less density.
    I cannot even see Intel Xeon vps/vds on Hetnzer's Ashburn site.

• vyas11vyas11 Member

@letlover said:

@luckypenguin said:

@Bochi said:

Yeh. Hotcake. Why does everyone like cake and dislike potato? Potato is healthier.

Hotcake or Yellowcake ??

• @letlover said:

If you are looking at anything above 8 VCPU's, they are probably showing unavailable to you because of default account limits. To get access to these, you need to request a limit increase. (All data center locations will show same)

Thanked by 1letlover
  • zedzed Member

so.. hetzner-us deadpool, am i reading topic right?