Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If I want to have 2 blog, should I have two vps or one with double resources?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

If I want to have 2 blog, should I have two vps or one with double resources?

fawaifawai Member

Which is better and why?

Comments

• MisaoMisao Member

Go with the one with better resourses. You can setup auto backup daily. But if they are 2 small blog, you can choose 2 vps option.

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

If you do two, you can failover to each other. Don’t put them on the same physical node

• edited July 2022

Here is what you can do, and get all that for free and fast.
    1. Download localwp
    2. Setup your WordPress website so its where you want it to be (if you have existing WordPress - download a backup and restore on localwp)
    3. Remove all caching plugins
    4. Export to static (suggest you use wp2static )
    5. Git push to your repo on github
    6. Use cloudflare pages and attach your repo to them
    7. Profit from a fast static site, hosted on cloudflare, for $0
    8. Need to update your content? Repeat the above, starting at step 4.

Repeat for the second site.

Have fun! If you have issues with any of these steps - google is your friend.

• ChuckChuck Member

Maybe get a shared hosting that allows 2 websites?

• This depends on the type of your blog. If it’s just static files, personal blog, a powerful VPS can hold 200 or more. I’d say a single VPS in most occasions.

• szarkaszarka Member

Traffic to any web site can be somewhat bursty, so hosting multiple sites on a server with twice the resources will better handle spikes in traffic to either blog. You will also use your disk space and memory more efficiently, since you will only need one copy of Apache, Wordpress, MySQL, or whatever you're using.

Of course, at some level of traffic it starts to make sense to dedicate a server to just one blog. But it's well past the point where you're hosting it on a VPS!

Only case I can see where you might want them separate is if one blog is mission critical and you don't want attacks or a good old-fashioned slashdotting (or whatever the kids are calling it these days) on the other blog to impact it.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited July 2022

Some food for thought for OP before asking the question and expecting answers with incomplete information:

What is the content on the blog? Text or images/ media heavy?

Which CMS will you use?

Are there any existing posts? If so, how many? Will you migrate them to the new blog?

What is the current hosting setup if any? Why you are considering alrternatives? (Because... is a good answer!!)

How much content are you looking to publish? 3 mo/ 6 mo/ 1 yr

How much traffic are you anticipating? 3 mo/ 6 mo/ 1 yr

Edit:

@Arkas @NobodyInteresting and others

I do not understand where Op has mentioned they are using/plan to use WordPress.
    Not all WordPress sites have a blog and conversely, not all blogs are based on WordPress.

Anyways moot point it appears. Maybe in LE world blog = WordPress.!!

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@NobodyInteresting makes a good point If its a small blog and is not pulling data live to update.
    I don't understand why you would want 2 separate VPS for 2 blogs. Are they huge blogs with massive traffic? If not, just go with the 1 VPS option and create 2 domains on it.

• fawaifawai Member

Thanks all for the insight. I will try using one vps for starter and then see what next.

• @vyas11 said:
    Edit:

@Arkas @NobodyInteresting and others

I do not understand where Op has mentioned they are using/plan to use WordPress.
    Not all WordPress sites have a blog and conversely, not all blogs are based on WordPress.

Anyways moot point it appears. Maybe in LE world blog = WordPress.!!

I agree. I was just saying what I would personally do (as I just did that last weekend, so its all still nice and fresh in my memory).

I don't recall him saying which platform he is using, so that leaves that open to assumption.

If he is using a different software - obviously what I said would be obsolete, but this is lowend, and if one can go with free - one needs to know how, and I am more than happy to share my experience on how it can be achieved.

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited July 2022

Now since two fifths of all blogs… per some estimates half- use WordPress, fair assuming OP is seeking a WP specific answer. But there in lies the dilemma.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Need more data to suggest a recommendation.

If you are good in sysadmin work maybe you won't require any control panel & can do everything via CLI
    So two VPS would be good as you are isolating the resources virtually.

If you are not that good in CLI/sysadmin then you need to have a control panel, if you go with free ones, that's alright, else you might have to spend some $ on two license if you go for 2 VPS.
    To save cost, if you go with 1 VPS then a single license of the control panel will be required.

So you see, we need to know more inorder to give you a good advice.

• @NobodyInteresting said:
    1. Download localwp
    2. Setup your WordPress website so its where you want it to be (if you have existing WordPress - download a backup and restore on localwp)

Smart move.

• miaumiau Member
    edited July 2022

Single VPS.
    You don't want to host the most wasteful and high overhead part: the database, twice.

• Just have aaPanel installed and host unlimited website on single VPS. Just ensure you are following the providers AUP.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@NobodyInteresting said:
    1. Download localwp

https://developers.cloudflare.com/workers/tutorials/deploy-a-static-wordpress-site/ like this?

Thanked by 2Arkas Logano
  • @BlaZe said:

@NobodyInteresting said:
    1. Download localwp

https://developers.cloudflare.com/workers/tutorials/deploy-a-static-wordpress-site/ like this?

Where were you 2 weeks ago when I was doing that and reinventing the wheel?? 😂
    Yes, just like that. That guide would have saved me some headaches at the time, for sure.

Thanked by 3Arkas BlaZe Logano