Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


123sys
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

123sys

marlmarl Member

hey, anyone here still has vps w/ them? i have mine like idk ages ago, a 2$/yr one, and i'm due, but when i tried to pay i got this sign-in prompt. site is not working as well. i know it will come to this, but just wondering if anyone having same problem. vps is mostly idle just using it for teamspeak and some static site, nothing important at all.

Comments

  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

    @marl said:
    vps is mostly idle just using it for teamspeak and some static site

    VPS is a limited resource.
    If it's idle, cancel it so others can have it.

    For occasion use, deploy hourly instances on Scaleway.

    For static site, upload to GitHub (non-commercial only) or Netlify (commercial allowed).

  • jarjar Member, Patron Provider

    That's a host I haven't thought about in a while. If the VPS is still alive I have to assume that the owner is dead and everything is on auto billing through a PayPal that hasn't yet been depleted.

  • DPDP Member, Moderator, The Domain Guy

    Wow that’s a name I haven’t heard in a while.

    The last time I used them was back in 2015/6.

  • marlmarl Member

    @yoursunny said:

    @marl said:
    vps is mostly idle just using it for teamspeak and some static site

    VPS is a limited resource.
    If it's idle, cancel it so others can have it.

    For occasion use, deploy hourly instances on Scaleway.

    For static site, upload to GitHub (non-commercial only) or Netlify (commercial allowed).

    yeah, i'm planning to transfer it to Github. it's not idle per se, but low traffic and low usage.

    @jar said:
    That's a host I haven't thought about in a while. If the VPS is still alive I have to assume that the owner is dead and everything is on auto billing through a PayPal that hasn't yet been depleted.

    i know. xD i have this like since 2015. vps is still up, i guess after i won't be able to renew it, it will be auto-suspended.

  • It's best to cancel it if idle.

  • marlmarl Member

    @aakashmishra007 said:
    It's best to cancel it if idle.

    Okay. tell me how to cancel? :D

  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator
  • @marl said:

    @aakashmishra007 said:
    It's best to cancel it if idle.

    Okay. tell me how to cancel? :D

    Yup it's not possible though at the moment.

  • emgemg Member

    @jar said:
    That's a host I haven't thought about in a while. If the VPS is still alive I have to assume that the owner is dead and everything is on auto billing through a PayPal that hasn't yet been depleted.

    I had one of those forgotten VPSs for a while. It started out as a KVM VPS from Front Range Hosting, which was bought by Total Server Solutions, now Performive. The Front Range Hosting URL (frontrangehosting.com) now redirects to a Performive page that says, "Oh no! You've wandered off the path."

    That old VPS kept running and automatically charging my PayPal account ~$2.50/month. Eventually the certificate for the SolusVM control panel expired and they did not update it, then other things broke (like their support ticket system), but the VPS itself kept chugging along and it was my only low cost KVM VPS. Eventually I stopped using it and killed the PayPal subscription. I got my revenge for their abandonment and lack of support by not notifying them.

    I checked the VPS every few months and it still let me log in for nearly a year before somebody finally cut it off. My hunch is that somebody noticed an old server covered with 2 cm of dust, so they unplugged it.

    Thanked by 1jar
Sign In or Register to comment.