Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Growth of USB speed over the years
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Growth of USB speed over the years

The speed of the USB transfer protocol has grown from 1.536Mb/s with v1.0 introduced in 1996 to 40Gb/s with v4.0 introduced in 2019. That means that it grew by over 2.6 MILLION percent in 23 years. Let that sink in.

What are some other technologies that have grown massively in speed or power? I am not referring to things generic like "CPUs", but specific thing that have improved with new revisions etc.

Thanked by 1Arkas

Comments

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited July 2022

I think PCiE has grown to be a serious interface that can even handle external GPUs on laptops. It's quiet an achievement.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • @Arkas said:
    I think PCiE has grown to be a serious interface that can even handle external GPUs on laptops. It's quiet an achievement.

Not bad but speed grew "only" from 2.5 GB/sec to 128 for v7.0 planned for 2025. So not as big change. Still good though.

• Transfer speeds. From 28kbit modems in 1996, or even 14kbit ones, to 10Gbit fiber now.
    Also wireless technologies, 802.11b at 5.5 and 11mbit/s max, to 6E which has 9.6Gbps spec.

Thanked by 2Arkas vitobotta
  • @luckypenguin said:
    Transfer speeds. From 28kbit modems in 1996, or even 14kbit ones, to 10Gbit fiber now.
    Also wireless technologies, 802.11b at 5.5 and 11mbit/s max, to 6E which has 9.6Gbps spec.

Shit. I can't believe I forgot Internet speeds :p I started with a 28k modem and today I have a Gb/s lol. What a difference.

• @vitobotta said:
    Shit. I can't believe I forgot Internet speeds :p I started with a 28k modem and today I have a Gb/s lol. What a difference.

I can't tell the difference, I mean it felt like enough for me back in the 90s. Was using IRC, AOL
    and ICQ. Obviously we didn't have 4k blurays so anything faster was an overkill.
    Actually CPUs are a good example if you like raw numbers comparison. Your old phone can
    probably beat the crap out of 90s supercomputers that used to match with world's best chess players.

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited July 2022

@luckypenguin said: Your old phone can
    probably beat the crap out of 90s supercomputers that used to match with world's best chess players.

Good point. ARM technology has grown massively.

• LoganoLogano Member

Digital camera pixels. Just on the mainstream devices, we've gone from like 100k to 100m.

Thanked by 2Arkas mrTom
  • miaumiau Member

@vitobotta said:

@Arkas said:

Not bad but speed grew "only" from 2.5 GB/sec to 128 for v7.0 planned for 2025. So not as big change. Still good though.

Going all the way back, before pcie we had to use 16mbps ISA slot.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • mrTommrTom Member

What about storage?

My first hdd was 5 1/4 inch for 20 MB and was a real investment.

Now every kid can store 1000 GB on a device smaller than a coin.

Thanked by 2Arkas Logano
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited July 2022

In the past, I transfer files between two computers with either a 25-pin parallel cable that I soldered myself (the serial port is taken by the mouse) or a floppy disk.
    The parallel cable runs on 19200bps.
    The floppy is a bit faster but I need to change disks every few minutes.

Nowadays, I transfer files between two computers with a FastEthernet cable.
    This cable runs on 100 Mbps, which is 5000x faster than the parallel cable.

Thanked by 1Logano