Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

smartest way to move a dead wordpress site to new one
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

smartest way to move a dead wordpress site to new one

afnafn Member

Hi there

I have a dead WP blog, that is only accessible via wayback machine. Which means we can't export DB, or even XML, etc.

I am trying to recreate the blog while keeping everything in tact. Naturally the simplest idea, visit each post, copy paste the post in the new blog, set the date to match old date, and that's it.

But it's a bit annoying to preserve format as this has to be done manually. Copying images is annoying. And more importantly I don't see a way to copy-paste comments except by "impersonating" the original commenters and post the comments myself then modify their dates from the DB or something.

Any one has a smarter way to do things, perhaps some web scrapping tool?

Thanks

Comments

• manually copy and paste

• afnafn Member
    edited July 2022

OMG... I am gonna test it right now! Thanks

Edit:
    Shady practice.

[the b]logyou want to restore contains 444 files. The price is $1.22.
    Only problem is, they ask to recharge the balance with a minimum of 10$.
    So basically, it costs 10$ to restore not 1.22

if it was 5$, I would have done it for sure...

I don't know if I trust the website enough... anyone used it?

• Yes, it's a paid plugin. Still cheaper than hiring someone at Fiverr to do it for you manually.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • afnafn Member
    edited July 2022

tried to limit restore date so it fits in the 200 page free limit.

It sucks. Format not preserved. Even urls are not clickable. And more importantly, comments are not moved. So to me (small site with not much content), it is useless if it does not get the comments. Categories and tags are not preserved. import order is messed up and dates of the posts are not right.

@luckypenguin said: Yes, it's a paid plugin. Still cheaper than hiring someone at Fiverr to do it for you manually.

I have someone (not from Fiverr) who can actually do that for 10$ or some service in exchange. it is not a big blog, and some countries are just cheaper and people accept few bucks for simple tasks like that. Only problem is the comments as I mentioned in my first post.

Still, thanks, it is a tool worth knowing about and might be useful to me.

• nvmenvme Member

You can use this tool - https://github.com/hartator/wayback-machine-downloader
    Gives text/ html files, you still need to copy paste though.

Thanked by 1afn