Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to use FreeDNS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to use FreeDNS?

edited July 2022 in General
  • I've recently bought a domain ".sbs" from Sav

• It's turned out that Sav doesn't support yet custom DNS for "sbs", among a handful of others new tld-s. That is, I can't point my domain anywhere from the dashboard of Sav. I can only change its nameservers

• One of hosting providers that I use offers FreeDNS. However, nameserver aren't specified or mentioned anywhere on their websiter.

How can I bind the two together? How can I use FreeDNS to make use of my "sbs" domain?
Generally, is it done via nameservers?

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Nokachishikimikika said: One of hosting providers that I use offers FreeDNS. However, nameserver aren't specified anywhere.

Ask them maybe?

Or alternatively, there's always HE and Afraid.

• edited July 2022

Asking them for their free service will take time because they don't owe anybody in regards to it.

@DP said: Or alternatively, there's always HE and Afraid.

How? Is it done via nameservers at all?

@Nokachishikimikika said: Is it done via nameservers at all?

You'll need nameservers to use the domain.

You can use either one of the two I mentioned - they're free and have been around for a very long time.

• @DP said: You'll need nameservers to use the domain.

I mean, will I have to replace the current nameservers at Sav with the ones of "HE" or "Afraid"?

@Nokachishikimikika said:

@DP said: You'll need nameservers to use the domain.

I mean, will I have to replace the current nameservers at Sav with the ones of "HE" or "Afraid"?

Yes sir.

• raviravi Member

You can also give a try to Cloudflare.

1) Add your domain at Cloudflare.

2) They will provide you nameserver. Change nameserver of your domain to Cloudflare's nameserver.

3) Now you can mange your domain's dns from Cloudflare dashboard.

• For some reason I assume that Cloudflare is antiphysis of privacy, and is evil as Google. But I have yet to do more of research about Cloudflare.

Therefore for now I'd use the alternatives that seem to me to care more about privacy.

• tmepytmepy Member

@Nokachishikimikika said:

• I've recently bought a domain ".sbs" from Sav

• It's turned out that Sav doesn't support yet custom DNS for "sbs", among a handful of others new tld-s. That is, I can't point my domain anywhere from the dashboard of Sav. I can only change its nameservers

• One of hosting providers that I use offers FreeDNS. However, nameserver aren't specified or mentioned anywhere on their websiter.

How can I bind the two together? How can I use FreeDNS to make use of my "sbs" domain?
    Generally, is it done via nameservers?

I personally prefer cloudflare as its dns updates very fast. My past experience with namecheap dns has not been very good

• aliletalilet Member
    edited July 2022

I always use Cloudflare DNS for all my domains as it allows me to manage it from one single point. Plus it is very fast and also provide free email forwarding as well as URL redirection (both 301 and 302 without having to host it somewhere) and loads of other features.